Valve Seat Cutters

BowlingSS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a set of valve cutters for XS2 and TX650. Used or new. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks.
Bill

I am looking for a set of valve cutters for XS2 and TX650. Used or new. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks.
Bill
Neway cutters work nicely. The kits can have a breathtaking price but you could just get the cutting heads you need for your bike and it's not too bad. cylinderheadsupply.com is who I've bought from, very nice people and happen to be very close to me now, but not when I first used them.

Bowlings, from the not always reliable Clymer manual the XS has 45 and 65 degree cuts in the seat.

So to do a standard job you will need those cutters and from the photos only a 65 degree cutter is shown so you will need to contact the seller about the other cutters in the photos.

Jack in his porting info talks about a three angle cut, I assume the 3rd angle is a 30 degree top cut.

David Vizard in his book writes that the 30 degree top cut is good for higher rpm but can be detrimental increasing reversion at lower rpm.

So depending on your application this set may suit if it has a 45 degree cutter.

Bowlings, from the not always reliable Clymer manual the XS has 45 and 65 degree cuts in the seat.

So to do a standard job you will need those cutters and from the photos only a 65 degree cutter is shown so you will need to contact the seller about the other cutters in the photos.

Jack in his porting info talks about a three angle cut, I assume the 3rd angle is a 30 degree top cut.

David Vizard in his book writes that the 30 degree top cut is good for higher rpm but can be detrimental increasing reversion at lower rpm.

So depending on your application this set may suit if it has a 45 degree cutter.
I also noticed that the only one was a 65 degree. I have already sent him an email.
Thanks.
Bill

I think so (don't take that to the bank tho) at thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com I found a manual for the xs1,xs2, tx650 that shows the cutters for the valves. There is a 45' 40mm cutter for intake,45' 34mm cutter for exhaust,65' 42mm cutter for intake and exhaust plus a seperate cutter for radius for intake and exhaust. There was not a part number for the cutter set but I would think they used them on a load of models back then.

I think so (don't take that to the bank tho) at thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com I found a manual for the xs1,xs2, tx650 that shows the cutters for the valves. There is a 45' 40mm cutter for intake,45' 34mm cutter for exhaust,65' 42mm cutter for intake and exhaust plus a seperate cutter for radius for intake and exhaust. There was not a part number for the cutter set but I would think they used them on a load of models back then.
The box looks like the right one if my memory serves me right. It has only be about 45 years since I worked at a Yamaha shop. Thanks.

Where did you find the info on the cutters? I could not find it.

That sounds reasonable what angles? Did you order through a dealership or someone else.

I did get the radius cutters but did not get the ex-65’ cutter. I really need that one. Does anyone know where I can get one?
Thanks.
Bill

Back