Valve stem seals: replacement without pulling the motor

Thanks! They are Virago tappet screws, just a little shorter than the stock screws but easier to adjust. I can’t seem to find the part number offhand.

I found 22F121590000 - there's a chap selling em on UK ebay.

On CMSNL I found 22U1215900 which is kinda similar?

Last edited:
Looks like that part number was used on many models from a 92 XV25O, through a couple ATV models up to a 2017 TTR125LWE, so they may be in stock at your local dealer

*** Added with Mailman’s 👍

Did a seal swap out today. Here’s some things I did a bit differently:

1. Longer bolt to facilitate use of a ratchet wrench.
2. Instead of a black pipe fitting for the tool, I used a steel hydraulic fitting. Thought the material might be stronger. Ground off he corners making the ends round. Never bent. Used a stubby wrench to tighten the bolt. It was easy to feel when the springs were fully compressed. Cleaned threads out of both ends to max ID of tool.
3. Instead of the rope to catch flying bits, I stuffed strips of rags in the cavity and around the springs.
4. At certain steps it’s nice to be able to use a lever to push the springs down. Trouble is there’s no safe place to pry. I got a piece of perforated hanger strap and attached one end to the tappet cover stud. Got a suitably sized screwdriver, passed it through the hole and I now had a fulcrum for the lever.
5. Bike in first gear with rear tire on ground to keep crank in position for the surgery.

Note: all dimensions we’re good as well as crank positioning to keep valves from disappearing.

Here come the photos:

3B14AFC6-BF2A-42E7-A1C0-0D0777F9481C.jpeg
B72C3DC4-1D92-4E10-961E-10C28619C3D4.jpeg
9F4B1E10-50CE-4C73-9172-B8DA00707554.jpeg
7D667D73-4CF6-4D83-888A-AC6A2D086FE3.jpeg
88704B2E-07F0-4A30-8B91-09B77ED22CA1.jpeg
F946D2DB-89EB-488E-9573-37D8E4A2C318.jpeg
1A74CB41-F211-4CBD-B51E-2A7702A4B98D.jpeg

*** Added with Mailman’s 👍

Did a seal swap out today. Here’s some things I did a bit differently:

Nice work Vic! I really like how well your homemade valve depressor tool turned out and the way you modified the procedure to work better for you, much as I did. Thanks for the update and the photos, I’m happy to hear that someone else tried this and found it helpful! :D

I had thought that manipulating that valve through the spark plug hole would be challenging, but it turned out to be super easy.
You had lowered the valve stem by turning the crank slowly clockwise. Could you have raised the valve stem by using the crank again, and if so, which way?
'TT'

You had lowered the valve stem by turning the crank slowly clockwise. Could you have raised the valve stem by using the crank again, and if so, which way?
'TT'

I suppose you could raise the valve stem back up by reversing the crank rotation to push the valve back up, but it’s super easy to see the valve through the spark plug hole and I simply pushed it back up through the new seal with a skinny pick I was using.

'TT'
The angle is bad and you would bend the valve stem or worse damage the piston by trying to turn the crank. As MM says it’s really easy to push the valve up through the spark plug hole. I used a long thin screwdriver. A disposable chopstick would work ok too.

Last edited:
How are you finding the seals after having ridden them for a while, any leaks?

I need to replace mine yet again, I seem to wear them out fairly quickly - I have tried a few different of the standard ones, but I might have gotten unlucky with some old ones, as I had some crack within a year and some just not fitting well
Some follow up details.
I am trying out this set of Viton valve seals I found on EBay. I’m hoping these work well. They are just a little bit different looking, a double lip where it snaps over the valve guide and about .6mm taller.
View attachment 191324

Back