valve ticking noise at reassembly, and after valve adjustment not running

Reaction score
Hi Guys

So I rebuild my bike recently, (first time) I got hoos racing cam shell 1, and 700cc JE pistons, got it all done, put together I adjusted the values, but tunning it was making a load ticking sound from the valves, but it ran decently well.

Then I realized that when I adjusted the valves I adjusted them with the opposite side on compression stroke, and not the same side I was adjusting, (making the backside rockers very loose) I thought adjusting them correctly by adjusting the same side compression side and so that the backside was tight against the springs would fix this. But when I went to start it my bike would not run, and there was still a loud ticking when kicking in the values and when i would rev it. (died at idle always) ,sounded like like the valves are knocking around.

So I thought I would check my cam alignment. When I did this through the cam cover on the left side of the bike the mark was about 90 degrees off, so I just tore it down again, but both my marks on the sprocket were maybe a link off but nothing major.

I am super confused as to what is going on. and thought maybe that I aligned the cam at tdc on the wrong stroke? is that possible? and if so what side of the engine needs to be on compression stroke when aligning the cam and how do I know what side is on compression stroke?

I could really use some help, this is my first rebuild. Thanks guys.

:)

Actually, it's quite simple. Both pistons go up/down together, but it's the action of the camshaft on the valves that determines who's at compression TDC.

Mechanical/piston TDC occurs every rotation, but the cam turns at half that amount.

When you assemble the camshaft, with its marks in the (slot vertical, dot horizontal) position, just make sure that the pistons are at the top. Whichever side of the camshaft has the lobes pointing down, that side is at compression TDC. The other end, with both lobes up, will also be at a TDC position, but that's called 'overlap', because the exhaust valve will be almost finished closing, and the intake valve has already started opening. So, their closing and opening events kinda overlap...

right that makes, sense that is why I asked if it was even possible.

Just trying to think of why it is making that noise. It is loud.

the only other thing I can think of is during reassembly I overtightened one of the bolts that hold the guide inplace, but it was just the end of the bolt, and the majority stayed in there holding the guide in place and secure, and it hasn't loosened, nor can the rest of the bolt come through the other side into the engine because of the rubber over the guide. But might not be a bad idea to get an easy out and take it out while its apart.

Thanks

Back