Van Islander's TX650A - Quest for a Daily Rider

Currently methodically installing my new Boyer Bransden ignition with great help from Mailman's recent thread and also Paul Sutton's thread. I'm now figuring out how I'm going to mount the blue box and the coil. I think the blue box will tuck in nicely here, and I'm going to fabricate a bracket to mount the coil on the original LH coil mounting point. I'm not yet sure about coil clearance under the gas tank. I asked a bunch of questions which are noted on Mailman's thread, just so Boyer Bransden rookies like me could find it in one place in the future.

Attachments

• 20220220_175708.jpg
    20220220_175708.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 84
Currently methodically installing my new Boyer Bransden ignition with great help from Mailman's recent thread and also Paul Sutton's thread. I'm now figuring out how I'm going to mount the blue box and the coil. I think the blue box will tuck in nicely here, and I'm going to fabricate a bracket to mount the coil on the original LH coil mounting point. I'm not yet sure about coil clearance under the gas tank. I asked a bunch of questions which are noted on Mailman's thread, just so Boyer Bransden rookies like me could find it in one place in the future.

That was the first place I tried locating my blue box. I wedged styrofoam panels in around it and was quite pleased with how I had isolated it from vibration. But then I realized it is supposed to have air circulation around it. As long as you leave open air around it, it’s actually a nice location. Also make sure you don’t allow any of the wiring from the Boyer box to touch your spark plug wires, it interferes with the signal.

It's ALIVE!!!!! :cheers:
The Boyer setup is so smooth at idle and I still need to set the carbs a bit to come up to around 1100 RPM. This is where I ended up mounting the blue box and coil, being careful not to have the plug wires touching the other wiring. I mounted the coil on some bendable sheet metal, so it has a bit of a cushion effect,and fits behind the tank. It's a brisk sunny day here so road test planned.
20220221_142122.jpg

It's ALIVE!!!!! :cheers:
The Boyer setup is so smooth at idle and I still need to set the carbs a bit to come up to around 1100 RPM. This is where I ended up mounting the blue box and coil, being careful not to have the plug wires touching the other wiring. I mounted the coil on some bendable sheet metal, so it has a bit of a cushion effect,and fits behind the tank. It's a brisk sunny day here so road test planned.

Excellent, congratulations! :thumbsup: I’m sure you will be happy with it, and by the way, those red spark plug caps look nice! I really should have put them on mine!

Got the bike out on the road for a nice shakedown today, and did about 45 miles. I took my timing light with me to check up on the new Boyer installation amd made a slight adjustment from the first startup and then off I went to the gas station for some $2.00/litre 94 octane (no ethanol). That's the most I've ever spent on gas. We get charged a lot of tax here.
The new shocks are so nice. This motorbike is better now than its ever been, at least in my ownership. I'm liking the 33 tooth sprocket on the highway. My tach and speedo bounce a bit but seems about 4000 RPM at 60 to 65 mph.
The distant land in the photo is San Juan Island, WA. Its about 12 miles away from this photo location.
20220227_205725.jpg

Got the bike out on the road for a nice shakedown today, and did about 45 miles. I took my timing light with me to check up on the new Boyer installation amd made a slight adjustment from the first startup and then off I went to the gas station for some $2.00/litre 94 octane (no ethanol). That's the most I've ever spent on gas. We get charged a lot of tax here.
The new shocks are so nice. This motorbike is better now than its ever been, at least in my ownership. I'm liking the 33 tooth sprocket on the highway. My tach and speedo bounce a bit but seems about 4000 RPM at 60 to 65 mph.
The distant land in the photo is San Juan Island, WA. Its about 12 miles away from this photo location.
View attachment 208698
Perhaps I missed it somewhere, but what brand are the mufflers or where did you purchase them?? I really like them.

View attachment 208698
Bike is looking great VAN.

Vincenthdfan, I'm sorry I can't be specific, but they do have the removable bolt in them, as 5T referenced. I thought the PO may have bought them from XS650direct, in Canada, or possibly from Mikes. He would have bought them perhaps 3 to 5 years ago. In June I will have had the bike for 3 years. They didn't come with the bolt; I bought bolts and installed them a while back after 5T advised they could be slightly quieter with the bolt, or at least different sounding. I prefer them with the bolt installed. They don't really have any name on them, but they do have a silver sticker indicating they are for off-road use on pre-1985 motorcycles
20220228_174207.jpg

Vincenthdfan, I'm sorry I can't be specific, but they do have the removable bolt in them, as 5T referenced. I thought the PO may have bought them from XS650direct, in Canada, or possibly from Mikes. He would have bought them perhaps 3 to 5 years ago. In June I will have had the bike for 3 years. They didn't come with the bolt; I bought bolts and installed them a while back after 5T advised they could be slightly quieter with the bolt, or at least different sounding. I prefer them with the bolt installed. They don't really have any name on them, but they do have a silver sticker indicating they are for off-road use on pre-1985 motorcycles
View attachment 208773
Thank you!

View attachment 208698
Wow. Van Islander, your build looks incredible! I like the look of the fork gaiters a lot. Really nice work.

The setting looks great....I had a bit of deja vu....I went through all my bike pics and it's no wonder why, haha. Twins!

IMG_4171.jpg

Back