Vapor Blasting Prices

After reading/viewing Hoosers post I started doubting my effectiveness in cleaning my cases enough,even after 3 washes....I have just put my bottom end together and after seeing the video with the cleaning fluid squirting from the oil gallerys I decided to take it apart again...I am glad I did....while the gallerys did seem clear after putting an air compressor hose and cleaning fluid down them I did have a lot of residual media exit from the void in the casting just behind the steel shaft that holds the starter throw-out gear..in fact quite a worrying amount came out....

It's all out now for sure but I hate to think the amount of money and time I would have had to spend if I hadn't....Cheers Hooser

Vapour Blasting prices are insane. In Canada they are charging up to 100/hr. Most of those costs are for recouping the price of the machine since a good industrial one can easily set a shop back $10K or more depending on the size. I had a CB750 Valve head and cylinder block done and it was $600. I was not going to pay that again so built my own. Better than what I paid for as I can take my time and get every part to my satisfaction.

IMG_2793.JPG
IMG_2815.jpg
IMG_2800.jpg
IMG_2685.jpg
IMG_2688.jpg
IMG_2678.jpg
IMG_2796.jpg
IMG_2781.jpg
IMG_2785.jpg

Last edited:
I feel that the vapor honing finish can produce the best results. I’m still stuck on the slurry staying agitated. It forces me to do long runs and then throw the slurry out. It might be months before I blast again. I should just do it. Might not be that expensive to make another slurry blend each time. @ Canuck...How much would you estimate your mixture to cost? What media are you using exactly? What psi? Right now I’m needing a better reclaim system for my HF blast cabinet. Should I just go this direction.....hummm I buy my glass bead at HF as well.

Last edited:
I feel that the vapor honing finish can produce the best results. I’m still stuck on the slurry staying agitated. It forces me to do long runs and then throw the slurry out. It might be months before I blast again. I should just do it. Might not be that expensive to make another slurry blend each time. @ Canuck...How much would you estimate your mixture to cost? What are you using exactly? Right now I’m needing a better reclaim system for my HF blast cabinet. Should I just go this direction.....hummm
The circulation in the can is pretty straight forward. In the picture below, I come up from the pump discharge to the gun and then down from the two 1/2" connection to two hoses that just swirl it around. I mix about 80% of it. Need to split one of the hoses into two so I can get more circulation. Next time I get it out I will snap a pick.

I am using 80 mesh glass bead. I have not measured a charge yet but I put about 1.5" of bead to 10" of water in the basin. That gives me about 25% media by volume when I measure it at the gun. More than I probably need but experimenting at this stage. A 60lb bag costs me $50CDN. Figure I can get 6 or 8 charges on this. Still have not exhausted my first charge and I don't have any filtering. Probably done about 5 hours so far and no signs of it slowing down. It makes quick work running about 40PSI air.

I am doing an engine right now for my buddies Ducati and the results are better than the parts he had done at a shop. So far I have done a wheel hub, 4 tappet covers, 2 top ends and a set of pistons. Cost me about $6 so far in media and still going. Attached a couple of videos also. Well worth the money I spent making the unit.

IMG_2677.jpg

Last edited:
Canuck1969, very nice job on the conversion. Makes my effort look rough as guts. Do you have any details of how you made the handpiece?

Canuck1969, very nice job on the conversion. Makes my effort look rough as guts. Do you have any details of how you made the handpiece?
Cant take credit for the gun. Bought it on Amazon. Bought a 6 mm and 8 mm nozzle and sticking with the 6mm. Uses less air and just about as quick as the 8. It was $50 can. Think the only thing I changed was one of the hose connections.
2157D3D9-E16F-4DF6-9368-DD022A6CFB4D.jpeg

Very nice! Now I want to build one!
Go for it. If you are going to do an engine better off building it. Would almost pay for itself the 1st time if you took it to a shop. Of course then you need to buy more bikes to work on so you end up using it more than once. There is a drawback depending on how you look at it;););).

I keep looking for more things to clean in my garage, quickly running out.:(:(:(

Go for it. If you are going to do an engine better off building it. Would almost pay for itself the 1st time if you took it to a shop. Of course then you need to buy more bikes to work on so you end up using it more than once. There is a drawback depending on how you look at it;););).

I keep looking for more things to clean in my garage, quickly running out.:(:(:(
What do you estimate the total cost to be to build one? How big of a compressor are you running? I have a good sized garage but space is also a concern for me.

Space is not really an issue. It really is not bigger than the unit itself which is about 3'x2'. Everything is tucked under the unit.

The last time I added up all the details I was around 1,250 CDN (~950 USD). Now some of that cost was spent on figuring out what worked and I added additional bells and whistles like a clean water rinse and hookup, window rinse, remote start for the pump, speed regulator for the wiper and a GFI plug for the pump and 12V Supply. I also spec'd the speed control, remote start. power supply and lights with a waterproof rating. In reality some of the externals don't need it but I was not taking any chances. Everything was pretty much bought from Amazon, Princess Auto or HD/Lowes. The cabinet itself I got on sale at Princess Auto for $199 CDN.

I am currently running a small 8 gal/ 120 PSI Max Canadian Tire compressor. It somewhat keeps up. Have to stop for about a minute every 5 to 10 minutes of use depending on how much continuous air I am drawing. Waiting for the one I want to go on sale (15 gal/215PSI unit). Air delivery to the unit is only 40PSI. The pump runs continuous but the air flow is controlled with a foot pedal.

Alternatively, if you have some parts that need to be done, I am just down the road in Burlington. I am sure we could work something out.

Ok thanks for the info. Do you still have the 650? Maybe when the restrictions are lifted and the weather warms up we could meet for a coffee. I’d like to see that set up. I wouldn’t mind paying you to do some work too. I also have a great connection for compressors so I may be able to help you out there too. I’m in Bronte.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the info. Do you still have the 650? Maybe when the restrictions are lifted and the weather warms up we could meet for a coffee. I’d like to see that set up. I wouldn’t mind paying you to do some work too. I also have a great connection for compressors so I may be able to help you out there too. I’n in Bronte.
No problem. Still have the 650 and also restored a CB750C and KZ750 so plenty of options now for riding. Keep in touch.
Joe

Thanks! Gives me a better ideas of what to do. Not very expensive for sure.

@JRay77

Pulled the pump out to clean out the system. Here is the circulation setup for the basin. Added one more outlet since there was a dead spot with three. Basically one in each quadrant with a couple in the opposite direction to form a turbulent agitation.
0F1335E6-8695-4E2A-9F2E-710ECC0BC209.jpeg
E5FDE128-F97B-461D-99EC-56162719E511.jpeg
190110BB-DB15-4B54-9BC0-6955FF83FE91.jpeg

Last edited:
Joe did you have to seal or caulk all the joints on the cabinet?
Yes. Did it as I was assembling the cabinet so was between all joints and every bolt hole. Went through 3 tubes of Type II 100% silicone by the end of it. Bitch to work with as it does not react like normal caulking but nothing seals better. Learned to wait until it was dried and then trimmed off the excess as cleaning up the edges wet are near impossible. Thankfully no leaks. Not sure how well you could seal it if the cabinet is already assembled as you could only do the edges.

Yes. Did it as I was assembling the cabinet so was between all joints and every bolt hole. Went through 3 tubes of Type II 100% silicone by the end of it. Bitch to work with as it does not react like normal caulking but nothing seals better. Learned to wait until it was dried and then trimmed off the excess as cleaning up the edges wet are near impossible. Thankfully no leaks. Not sure how well you could seal it if the cabinet is already assembled as you could only do the edges.
Ok thanks.

Cra-z1 is right on here about cleanliness. It really is up to me to make sure my cases are clean enough before I put them back together (I mean, it is my work, right?). Here in New Hampshire I had a man 90 minutes away who did nice work, had a serious industrial unit and solid air supply, and was well set up. Unfortunately he has been injured and is no longer in operation.
I wound up using this man in Amsterdam NY: Metal Revel, 5871 State Highway 30, Amsterdam NY 12010 Website is: www.metalrevel.com.

I am currently working on a '68 DT1, and sent my case halves, cylinder, head, carb body/float bowl, and a handful of bits. Total cost for his work was $115 (without shipping).

Pic is from him before he sent the bits back.
UEFS1922.JPG

That is a hell of deal. Must be a one man operation with no overhead. I suspect that is at least 2 to 3 hours of work even with an industrial machine.

Back