Vermont title is the real deal

JIMOTHY J

Jimothy j
Reaction score
I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO AFTER SPENDING ALMOST 2 YEARS RESTORING THIS 74 TX 650, BUT COLORADO HAD NO RECORD OF TITLE OR REGISTRATION. I HAD THE OLD PLATE [ expired june 1987]. THE NEVADA DMV TOLD ME I HAD TO DO A 50 STATE TITLE SEARCH WITH DOCUMENTS TO PROVE IT. BUT THANKS TO THIS FORUM I FOUND HOW TO LEGALLY REGISTER AND TITLE MY BIKE. THANKS FOR BEING HERE.
NOW I JUST HAVE TO DO SOME MINOR REPAIRS AND TOUCH UP AND IT IS ALL GOOD.
THE VERMONT REGISTRATION COST ME $ 93, WELL WORTH IT.
THANKS AGAIN

If you got it from this forum, how about a link to where you got it from.

Also, I think a friend did this, and yes, you get a plate, but I don't think you get a title. Not sure how that's going to work out when you want to sell...

I did this for my XS. The details are here:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-to-get-proof-of-ownership-for-a-bike-w-no-title.655441/

Basically, you fill out their registration form (here), get the VIN verified by an official in your area (Vermont wants official letterhead, but what I did was stopped by the police station, the officer checked it out and printed it out on their own form and I attached his business card to the sheet), a bill of sale, and a check made out for the registration fee (I think 44 dollars) + 6% of the purchase cost (I think you're supposed to use the NADA value and I went with the fair price of $755) for a total of $89.30.

Toss it all in an envelope, mail it up, and then wait 10 days (it took closer to 2 weeks for me) to get two separate packages; one with the license plate and one with the sticker/registration. From there, you can either ride on it with that plate, or take it to your state tag office and transfer it over.

It DOESN'T provide a title though.

Post 72 in that thread has the exact steps:

This might help some people out with what to do on the form. Remember this is for a 15+ year old motorcycle. Im not sure what you would do for something newer. You need to fill out the following boxes on form #TA-VD-119.

1A- will be NEW
1B
3C
4A- will be you as the owner, ignore the VT DL
5B- will be the seller you bought it from
6A- purchase price of the bike and the 6% tax of the purchase price
8- sign and date
9- Registration fee. $44.00. Take the tax amount from 6A. You will fill out Registration, Tax, and the Total Fees.

Send completed Vermont registration form, check for the fee (made out to Vermont DMV, VIN verification form, and bill of sale to 120 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05603-0001.

Back