VIDEO of my potter's wheel tank tumbler cleaner

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score

This was pretty much simplicity itself.
The only trick was attaching the tank to the wheel head, but that turned out to be pretty easy too.
I might make a longer video covering the nuances, or I might not.
As an experiment, I added a tablespoon of Borax to the abrasive resin media. Borax has the closest-to-neutral PH of any readily-available powdered cleanser that I could find. I haven't blown out the tank yet, but I'll report back after I do.
I have tumble-cleaned many, many tanks in my clothes dryer with great success, but I'm expecting this to be a huge improvement because of the slower speed.

Looking good. Curious about "abrasive resin media" What are you using?
63672_I.jpg
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-rust-cutting-resin-abrasive-tumbler-media-63672.html

The inside of this tank was not that bad. I tumbled for 30 minutes in each direction. Results are similar but better than using my clothes dryer. I was hoping the inside would look like a brand-new quarter, which it doesn't, but the rust is completely gone. The Borax doesn't seem to have hurt anything. I'm going to double the amount I use next time.
I think dryer-tumbling is possibly kind of hard on the clothes dryer, so this is an improvement over that.

I've heard of wrapping the tank it towels, presumably with lots of duct tape, and putting it in the dryer.

posted this before I think.

For those who don’t have a potters wheel…

My buddies solution. ATV wheel.

Works like a charm.

View attachment 228006
Yes, saw when you posted it before. I like it. What I don't like is the straps. Okay for a tank that needs paint, but not for a nice tank. It just needs an abrasion-free cradle or jig built for it.

I'm still using the dryer, as my wife says it's ours and not hers. Of course, if it's broken, that problem is all mine.

I put the tank in an old sleeping bag and fill the remaining space with pillows.

For those of you with a spouse who owns the dryer, yes, the potters' wheel for the win!

Yes, saw when you posted it before. I like it. What I don't like is the straps. Okay for a tank that needs paint, but not for a nice tank. It just needs an abrasion-free cradle or jig built for it.

There is certainly a more graceful way of mounting it. But yeah, anyone strapping a tank to their 4 wheeler might not be the most concerned with paint haha… generally speaking.

I'm still using the dryer, as my wife says it's ours and not hers. Of course, if it's broken, that problem is all mine.

I put the tank in an old sleeping bag and fill the remaining space with pillows.

For those of you with a spouse who owns the dryer, yes, the potters' wheel for the win!
I don't think they would go for this at the laundromat. lol.

Since starting this thread, I have cleaned many, many tanks. I've tried all kinds of refinements and experiments.
Long story short, I decided that the resin media that I was using (see post #3 above) simply wasn't up to the task.
So, I tried this:

63673_I.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-...r-media-63673.html?_br_psugg_q=tumbling+media

Now we're talking. This stuff works great. The pieces are kind of big, so I used a cold chisel to brake each one into at least three pieces, so that they would come out of the tank afterwards easier.

My big question: What do you think? The ceramic contains the following:
49.6% silicon dioxide (SiO2); 40% aluminum oxide (Al2O3); 5.5% potassium oxide (K2O); 2% sodium oxide (Na2O); 0.4% iron oxide (Fe2O3); 2.5% calcium oxide (CaO)
After blowing inside clean, tank is rinsed with gas, and a fuel filter will be used.

If it works, that's great! I don't see a problem with the compound ingredients if that's the question - so long as ya don't huff the stuff (Silicosis)

If it works, that's great! I don't see a problem with the compound ingredients if that's the question - so long as ya don't huff the stuff (Silicosis)
Thank you! Yes, that was the question.
I'll repeat, there's no comparison to the resin media. The ceramic media works way, way, WAY better.

Back