Video Thread

I loved those old loco's as well Raymond, They looked so huge and powerful when I was a lad. Didn't know they were two stroke!
That large capacity two stroke V uses a very unusual engine configuration with opposed pistons IIRC and has an interesting history. The design is based on work done in WW2 to develop an engine for motor torpedo boats - MTBs. The Royal Navy wanted super-fast patrol boats to counter the German E-boats which were raiding Allied shipping in the Channel.

This is all half-remembered stuff from many years ago and I might be talking complete rubbish . . .

Actually, it appears that your memory is right-on Raymond.

Here is an article on the Napier Deltic that describes the history and technical details and had a nice animation on the fascinating kinematics (i.e. the motion of the crank-piston-connecting rod mechanisms) of the engine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

DC61D9E2-CEC0-40F2-8A0A-692040816537.gif

Last edited:
A

A friend of mine is looking at the 400cc version (she is quite petite) mainly because of the step-through design and overall practicality and the fact that she has quite bad arthritis in her hands and would find a clutch pretty tough to work. She’s old enough to not care about image - but she loves to ride.

Overall, I have found the Burgman to be a remarkable bike which would serve the needs of a pretty wide audience - and Ryan’s review confirms this.

When I was working as a mailman in a retirement community, I had a couple customers that had 650cc scooters.
One was a Burgman and the other was a Honda ( Silverwing I believe ). Both of these guys were very enthusiastic about their machines, saying they easily handled freeway speeds, were super comfortable and had a ridiculous amount of storage. They were especially approachable in a community such as theirs, where you see golf carts everywhere on the roads. From the front, coming down the road, they looked like a modern sport bike, until you saw them from the side. They’re just about perfect for short errands to the store, just lift the seat and stow your helmet and groceries. I can see the appeal, certainly better than a golf cart! ;) And by the way I once saw a pair of Burgmans that were loaded with gear and touring, certainly not above their abilities.
Honda,
352E687F-C0F1-4F0B-B9DC-D45E8AD667CB.jpeg
Suzuki,
A6796D2E-A6EF-4BB1-91AD-1F969527183F.jpeg
and if your pockets are deep, BMW might just make the best 650cc scooter,
57A00C40-3D7F-4956-BBC1-01A077D8876B.jpeg

I'm giiving serious thought to a Burgerman - comfy, low CoG, plenty of grocery space and easy to mount.
They've been out long enough that early ones should fit in my pocket range.

....and now for something even more different from my last post to this thread, we have a video of a group of Wisconsin, Ohio and Illinois duck hunters headed for the Canadian border once the travel restrictions were lifted.

I believe that several of the trailers may have under-inflated tires and it is also possible that some do not have the safety chains properly attached. As for the lights on the trailers....well, I can only hope that the CBSA checks them carefully when they attempt to enter my country.

Scenes similar to above seen in the SW of England during the grockle season. Suggest those unfamiliar with 'grocle' ask Google. Other search engines are available.

The Northern 500 in Scotland is nowhere near as bad. Though, maybe after Brexit and Covid make more people opt for staycations . . .

Scenes similar to above seen in the SW of England during the grockle season. Suggest those unfamiliar with 'grocle' ask Google. Other search engines are available.

The Northern 500 in Scotland is nowhere near as bad. Though, maybe after Brexit and Covid make more people opt for staycations . . .

Events such as this will certainly whittle-down the supply of cheesy old travel trailers, that is for sure.

Despite the pedantic style of the narration, this is an interesting look at yesteryear…..

All right the cans at the back of the Local hardware store out in the sticks
The other can labelled Moonshine .. Should have been on the film also
2 cans then now it is in the same one so neither the gasoline nor the alcohol is useful.

Also the lady not getting out of the car at all.

Is this progress today ??

One of the first jobs I had where I got an actual paycheck was a gas station attendant. Pay was about a buck an hr. Was in the early days of the miniskirt era. Windshields would sometimes take several minutes to clean and woodies lasted the rest of the day. Things were much simpler back then. :geek:

Last edited:
One of the first jobs I had where I got an actual paycheck was a gas station attendant. Pay was about a buck an hr. Was in the early days of the miniskirt era. Windshields would sometimes take several minutes to clean and woodies lasted the rest of the days. Things were much simpler back then. :geek:

geeee….I had exactly the same job with exactly the same pay and fringe benefits.

Also one of my first real jobs. Except my experience was back in 1989-90 when I was 15. The last true full service gas station I knew of anywhere. I still to this day have a specific routine for a streak free window when I clean my windshield at the gas station.

Back in the 70’s I had several friends who worked at gas stations, it wasn’t all fun and games. One guy got 3rd degree burns on his face and neck when a customer came in with a car that was overheating, just as he reached for the radiator cap it blew off and hit him with live steam.
Another guy was robbed at knife point while working by himself at night. And yet another friend nearly had his ass kicked by an irate customer after he checked the oil on his Chevy truck and he struggled to close the hood because the hinges were rusty, while struggling to pull the hood down it kinked right in the middle.
My high school job was unloading semi truck loads by hand , all I got was dirty and tired. :D

Back