VIN/Model Confusion - Need help please!

aholeinthewor1d

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired what I think is a 1980 650 but I am having some trouble figuring out the exact model and the VIN stuff since it has one of the "shorty vins". I've read around a bunch of threads to try and figure it out but just end up getting more confused lol.

The VIN stamped on the frame and the engine is 4H7-009916. The previous owner left his old registration under the seat which shows that it's a "1980 Yamaha XS650G 654"

I can't find the thread right now but when I was researching last night I found a post and it sounded like it was saying because it starts with "4h7" it's an XJ650 not a XS650?

I've checked out the garage page and the links there but for some reason and having a hard time understanding everything so any help would be appreciated.

What is the exact model of this bike and if you have an easy to follow guide/chart please link it below. Or if you could break down my VIN and explain what it means that would be awesome. Thank you!! If needed I can post pics of the bike also.

Awesome thanks for the quick reply. Do you have a link to a good chart or whatever that explains the model stuff showing that it's an XJ?
I recommend you sign up at XJ Bikes. Everything you want to know is over there. I have no doubt you can find it. There's a good bunch of over there happy to help you.

The attached will help.

You have a US market XJ650G that is either New Yamaha Black or Frost Silver

Attachments

• Yamaha Modell_Index_1958_-_2008.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 153
XJ650 1.jpg

You have an XJ650 Maxim. It's shaft drive and has four cylinders, correct? There is a good online forum for you, but it isn't this one. XJBikes.com is where you want to be.
View attachment 216487
I recently acquired what I think is a 1980 650 but I am having some trouble figuring out the exact model and the VIN stuff since it has one of the "shorty vins". I've read around a bunch of threads to try and figure it out but just end up getting more confused lol.

The VIN stamped on the frame and the engine is 4H7-009916. The previous owner left his old registration under the seat which shows that it's a "1980 Yamaha XS650G 654"

I can't find the thread right now but when I was researching last night I found a post and it sounded like it was saying because it starts with "4h7" it's an XJ650 not a XS650?

I've checked out the garage page and the links there but for some reason and having a hard time understanding everything so any help would be appreciated.

What is the exact model of this bike and if you have an easy to follow guide/chart please link it below. Or if you could break down my VIN and explain what it means that would be awesome. Thank you!! If needed I can post pics of the bike also.
@650Skull has priceless documentation on model identification and other details. He certainly helped me 'find' my bike when I was as lost. Always appreciate the help, guys.

Back