Vin/title mismatch

Wioutdoorsman

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Looking for guidance. My dad passed away and I was trying to sell his motorcycle. Fairly certain he is original owner and bought it when it came out in 1972. However the “date title issued” is 08/20/2002. The title is for a 1972 Yamaha. The vin number however is XS2707762 on the paperwork and on the bike under the handlebars it’s S650-112640. Besides my dad being a secret motorcycle thief are there any reasons why these numbers don’t match? Thanks

Indeed. It looks as though the “VIN” may have been recorded in error at some point and now it is part of the official record.

I think I recall someone saying that you could, take the bike to a police station and they can examine the bike and fill out a form to correct the erroneous record.
This is an issue for the State of Wisconsin. Hopefully, it's not a hopeless bureaucracy.

Looking for guidance. My dad passed away and I was trying to sell his motorcycle. Fairly certain he is original owner and bought it when it came out in 1972. However the “date title issued” is 08/20/2002. The title is for a 1972 Yamaha. The vin number however is XS2707762 on the paperwork and on the bike under the handlebars it’s S650-112640. Besides my dad being a secret motorcycle thief are there any reasons why these numbers don’t match? Thanks

The vin no from the Frame neck matches with a 72 XS2.

As others have said, and going by the date of the last title issue vin no in 2002, it is most likely how the office done it when/if the bike had been out of title for a long time then re-titled in 2002.

ID/Vin chart and models.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Post up some pics and we will help you with anything we see that may have been swapped or different to an XS2.

Back