Vintage style bobber build

Nice!

When I used to work in aerospace I did a lot of exotic composite layups. Used a bunch of walk in heaters and autoclaves. Stumbled across quite a few items that were rated for high temps that melted like that.

I think things got rated at a low time interval. Long exposure, melted haha.

Pipes look good!!

On a side note… I used Eastwood exhaust header paint on my exhaust and I’ve yet to have any issues with peeling or chips. Even taking it through bushes.

Stay tuned, if my toes now get too warm, we’ll be back with more pipe and a 90* bend.

Maybe something like this? 😄
5AD38B38-2CC9-406A-9987-AA65B7117398.jpeg

I've been wanting to build a vapor blaster. So handy and produces nice finishes. Ya knew we were gonna ask for pics of that, too!

Looks great....was wondering if you retrofitted a Harbor Freight blaster. Several u-tube how-to vids on that. What did you end up using for the slurry pump?

Build features list:

Frame - Voodoo Vintage Model VI

Front End – Voodoo Vintage Relic 20” Mid

Motor – 82’ XS650

Hugh’s Handbuilt 277 Crank & Cam

XS Performance Piston & Rings Std.

Kibble-White valves, bronze guides & spring kit - Hoos Racing

Std BS 34 carbs, jetted w/4“ stacks

Barnett clutch & Springs - Hoos

Heiden Filters, sump & oil delivery pipe

VAPE ignition & charging - Hoos

Exhaust – Pandemonium Double D

Electrics – MotoGadget M Unit Blue, M Button & Disc bar-end signals

TC Bros. Main Switch, taillight

Lowbrow Customs bar switches, battery box

eBay headlight

Kuryakyn Atto rear signals

Controls – Kustom Tech Clutch, brake, throttle & mirror

Hugh’s Handbuilt r. brake pivot

Biltwell Tracker bars 5” rise & grips

Lowbrow 1” risers, pullback

V-Star Floorboards, shifter & brake pedal

Front Wheel – 76’ Goldwing hub, disc & speedo drive

19” WM3 Borrani rim

Buchanan SS spokes

Brembo caliper – Pandemonium – homemade mount

Shinko WW 4.00x 19

Rear Wheel – 67’ CB77 “305 Superhawk” hub w/DLS brake & cable

16” 3.00 Borrani

Buchanan SS spokes

Shinko WW 5.10 x 16

Tins – TC Bros. rear fender

Drag Specialties seat & springs

Lowbrow fender struts

Homemade fuel tank w Lowbrow bungs, caps and TC bros. petcocks

Fabrication, paint, powder coating, electrical & mechanical by owner.
Impressive work, JP! Like the tank fab and the vapor blaster!

Custom bikes, bobbers, this one with a vintage theme, often are form over function, but sometimes one can have both. I didn't do a "build thread" as I didn't know about that at the time. I thought I'd share some about the electrics.....

It starts here with what looks like some old battery from the 1930's, but actually there's a modern LifePo AntiGravity 1201 inside, along with an M-Unit, the starter solenoid and all the connections. The red 6ga cable is cloth covered and is only "hot" when engaging the starter motor. The black covered 6ga cable is the real main ground. The battery tray and hold-down strap are homemade and powder coated.
20220909_224049.jpg

Underneath the vented battery tray is the regulator/rectifier mounted there for cooling and also a "battery tender" connector.
20220909_224200.jpg

The wiring harness is all homemade in 18-16ga copper stranded wire inside "old looking" asphalt coated looms. Most of the harness is run on the outside. Where the actual wires were left showing (intentionally), the wires are cloth covered for the vintage look. All terminals are soldered and then crimped.
20220909_143413 (2).jpg
20220909_143509.jpg

20220901_232451.jpg

20220909_152123 (2).jpg

The one place the wiring is hidden inside is the handlebars. Momentary push-buttons are also used for that "clean" look in the cockpit.
There are turn signals too - Motogadget bar-end Discs and mini Atto signals fab'd into the rear fender mounts: small & very bright.
20220909_224224.jpg
20220909_224235 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 20220909_224235 (2).jpg
    20220909_224235 (2).jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Thank You Gentlemen:) Perhaps brakes and chain next?; an often underserved subject on "bobbers".

Back