Vintage Yamaha Rally 2017 (XS Southeast)

Okey dokey - I just spoke to Pam (very nice on the phone) and I'm registered for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights....really looking forward to it!

Pete

Okey dokey - I just spoke to Pam (very nice on the phone) and I'm registered for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights....really looking forward to it!

Pete

Are you planning to haul XS650 on a trailer or ride a motorcycle all the way down. I made a trip about that far on an XS650, but it was 15 years ago.

Hi Marty: well, the plan is to ride my red '76 down there. I have about 400,000 km on bikes - although almost all of it was 25+ years ago. That includes about 175,000 km (around 125,00 miles on a '75 XS650B). My present bike (Lucille - a red '76 XS650C) has been great so far - I've put around 16-1800 miles on her without anything too drastic happening (except that I ran her out of gas in the middle of nowhere). Lucille is nice, but she is by no-means, a museum piece. She has....patina.

Anyhow, the dates are a long way in the future so if I don't feel confident, I can pop her onto a trailer and tow her down. I think its around 400 miles or so from my place in Windsor to the Iron Horse Motel in North Carolina.

Do most people ride or trailer?

Pete

Do most people ride or trailer?

Pete

Most ride, but historically, the XS1100 is the predominant model. In 2013 we had one ride from Simi Valley, CA. XJ machines are coming in numbers now as well. This is also a sanctioned Yamaha 650 Society event. We have an award every year for the motorcycle that travels the shortest distance without touching the ground. (a trailer) For 2016, it went to one of the members of this forum. Steve trailered all the way from Asheville!
14479538_1278065385600741_5659485729300155884_n.jpg

He really had no choice.....but, neither did we!

Ahhhhh - very snazzy award. That will become a family heirloom, no doubt!

Is there an award for a "The Longest Distance Traveled on a Bike with Patina"?

:laughing:

Ahhhhh - very snazzy award. That will become a family heirloom, no doubt!

Is there an award for a "The Longest Distance Traveled on a Bike with Patina"?

:laughing:

Since we're obviously spending so much money on trophies, we'll have to see what we can do. :cheers:

Not to worry - the accomplishment of bringing Lucille back from the dead is plenty of congratulations for me.

Cheers,

Pete

LOL jet,finally a trophy that can do more than sit on a shelf! I too plan on riding down on my 81 xs650 special, not prestine but in pretty good shape,but only from Chesapeake, Virginia. Just gave it an alaround cleaning and a tune up! Will be posting pics shortly! Just put in for vacation time for those days,and will be registering shortly,and jetmechmarty ,I don't mind tenting,will I have to make reservations at a camp site,if so what would you recommend! Ride long and strong MaxPete ,have a safe trip down! I'm sure Lucille will love it!

LOL jet,finally a trophy that can do more than sit on a shelf! I too plan on riding down on my 81 xs650 special, not prestine but in pretty good shape,but only from Chesapeake, Virginia. Just gave it an alaround cleaning and a tune up! Will be posting pics shortly! Just put in for vacation time for those days,and will be registering shortly,and jetmechmarty ,I don't mind tenting,will I have to make reservations at a camp site,if so what would you recommend! Ride long and strong MaxPete ,have a safe trip down! I'm sure Lucille will love it!

Wulfbyte, we probably have three on XS1100's coming from the Tidewater area of VA. Maybe you can hook up. It won't hurt to let them know you're coming, sooner rather than later. It helps with their planning.

Yup, I got a private room....after that long ride, Lucille and I will want a little, you know, "private" time.

:love::bed:

Sweet Ms Pam has set me up and I'll be credit card camping this year. Looking forward to filling out the meal tickets.......they got good food.

See ya'll down the road.......Gordon in NC

Last edited:
Hey Marty just letting you know, not only will I be going for the "Hauley" award again but I'm hoping for the most improved as well! I've had the bike torn down this winter and have made a bunch of improvements/modifications to it. So I'm really looking forward to the rally this year! Awesome time, we need to get more XS650's involved.
IMG_5622.JPG
IMG_5619.JPG

Nice BBQ! Is that a TTR225 master cylinder?
By the way Pete, I did a quick map quest from Detroit to Robinsville, NC and it was 593 miles via I-75. Not sure exactly where you are from Detroit or your route around the lake. Guess that would be the longest route for you.

For those who haven't been there, or care to see, there are some good GPro videos on the Tube of the "Tail of the Dragon". On the down side, there are several bad videos of accident scenes some morbid SOB posted. I don't care to see those.

Back