Visit from GGGGary

Oh yeah, tough decision there, Kevin. To get any significant weight reduction you'd have to shave the OE rotor thin enough to be borderline dangerous; and then you'd likely find that you've shed less than a pound. My bike is set up with a Brembo and 11 mm. MC from 650 Central. Before that I used an Emgo from Mike's. Both worked well. The Brembo is a bit lighter and just a little grippier, but part of that is due to the 11 mm. MC. The Emgo is cheaper, and good value for the money.

Clip-ons and rearsets will put more weight on the front wheel, while buckhorns will put more weight on the rear.
Don't I know it! My hands and wrists get quite pissed off in that position. While it's more challenging to keep my spine straight (not slouch) with the pull-backs, my wrists and hands love them. YMMV

Gentlemen, with respect, bar selection is emphatically not an either/or matter. Bars can be selected based on styling (bad idea) or utility, rider's reach, height, weight, etc., rider comfort, etc. Buckhorns on Marty's bike? They work for him and that's fine, he'll stay with you on the tightest technical roads, but I can't feel in control with those things. I'm sure he'd hate my Euro bend bars after a few miles, and we'd both very much dislike Arctic's clip-ons. Different bikes, different riders, different purposes. Each to his own. Peace.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, with respect, bar selection is emphatically not an either/or matter. Bars can be selected based on styling (bad idea) or utility, rider's reach, height, weight, etc., rider comfort, etc. Buckhorns on Marty's bike? They work for him and that's fine, he'll stay with you on the tightest technical roads, but I can't feel in control with those things. I'm sure he'd hate my Euro bend bars after a few mikes, and we'd both very much dislike Arctic's clip-ons. Different bikes, different riders, different purposes. Each to his own. Peace.
I agree 100%. I keep the old bars because they're comfortable for me. I understand full well how I can change my bike to perform better. I'd rather ride it all day.
I'm bringing home the XS650SH project over the winter. I bought some Triumph T140 bars at Barber just to give them a try on the Special.

Checked Mike's XS, looks like the Revival people decided to drop the Emgo rotors. Mike's used to sell them complete with a spacer kit. You may find the Emgo rotors elsewhere and rig your own spacers if you know how, but if it were my money I would (and years ago did) spend a bit more for Michael Morse's Brembo kit. You get everything you need in a bolt-on package.

Do you happen to know which ones/which sport bike model rotors will work sir?
You must not know me....

This Yamaha 4HM-2581T-11-00 BRAKE DISK fits the following models and components:

Yamaha Motorcycle 1997 FZR600RJ Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1990 FZR600RAC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1996 YZF600RHC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1995 YZF600RG Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1995 FZR600RG Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1992 TDM850 - TDM850D Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1992 FJ1200DC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1992 FJ1200D Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1993 TDM850 - TDM850E Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1993 TDM850 - TDM850EC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1991 FJ1200BC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1991 FZR600RBC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1991 FJ1200B Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1993 FZR600REC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1992 FZR600RDC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1992 TDM850 - TDM850DC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1990 FZR600RA Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1995 FZR600RGC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1996 FZR600RH Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1995 YZF600RGC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1992 FZR600RD Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1993 FZR600RE Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1991 FZR600RB Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1997 FZR600RJC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1996 YZF600RH Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1990 FZR600AC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1998 FZR600RK Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1998 FZR600RKC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1994 FZR600RFC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1994 FZR600RF Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1999 FZR600RLC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1999 FZR600RL Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1989 FZR600W Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1989 FZR600WC Front Brake-Caliper
Yamaha Motorcycle 1996 FZR600RHC Front Brake-Caliper
There may be more with slight variations.

Be aware that installing a thinner rotor requires a spacer of the correct thickness. You need to understand how the caliper works. Don't bother to ask how thick a given spacer needs to be for a particular rotor. You need to understand where the spacer goes, and you need to measure and to know what to measure. And as Arctic pointed out, you need to attention to pad track width.

Sorry for my part of the hijacking and de-railing! I really hope you get well enough to enjoy your well sorted XS!
I sort of envy you guys your rallies and other opportunities for meeting each other, checking out the bikes etc. Where I live, I know of one, maybe two XS650 that are on the road occasionally.

Back