VR points stuck up

Just so we're all on the same page...
You want good volts and stability. In other words, 14 to 14.4 ish volts at about 3k and up. Rev it to 4-5k rpm and make sure voltage stops climbing as rpm's climb.
If it volts continue to increase as engine speed increases, it's not regulating.

Yes, I revved to 6000 and no increase above the 14 range. When I started it, off idle it began to increase and leveled @14's.

14 will keep you charged. I have grown to expect 14.3v-14.5v at the battery. A. Is it a good battery? B. Are your grounds REALLY clean and tight? C. Do you have less than 0.6v drop across your ignition switch? I haven't googled that VR so 14v may be fine.
There are denizens on this forum that point out that charging issues can confuse carburetor and timing issues.

New battery and all grounds are cleaned and tight. It's all good. I'm sure if I would install a volt meter and ride it will show 14.2 which is normal. Too cold to take an actual ride right now.

I've tried and tested several VR115's and their equivalents. It seems they all have slightly different max voltage set points. They're all in the 14 to 14.5 volt range but can vary by a few tenths between manufacturers.

I've tried and tested several VR115's and their equivalents. It seems they all have slightly different max voltage set points. They're all in the 14 to 14.5 volt range but can vary by a few tenths between manufacturers.
Testing some later XS650 solid state rectifier/regulators, plugging several into the same connector on a later special and watching voltage on the running bike. I also found variation (these are 40 years old) stablized output varied from say 14.2 to 14.8 volts unit to unit.

Back