VR points stuck up

xshead

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I work through this non charge issue on my ‘79, I found the v r points are stuck in the up position. The screw was actually in pretty far to keep the regulator in that position. I had readjusted in attempt to center the points but it has taken that position.

I have ordered a VR115 to replace this but I would imagine that the rectifier is more than likely toast because of the vr setting.
0167F609-F4A7-4DBC-805C-68E0840CE0F2.jpeg

I had readjusted in attempt to center the points but it has taken that position.
It's supposed to be in the up position when at rest (no charge).
In the up position it supplies power to the rotor to energize it.
The charge output from the stator energizes the coil.
The coil pulls the contact down which removes full voltage to the rotor and supplies a lower voltage through the green resistor on the side of the reg.
This lowers the charging output below the point that will hold the coil energized. The contacts go back up and reenergize the full voltage to the rotor. This "cycling" can happen hundreds of times a second. It's commonly referred to (used to be) as a "vibrating point regulator" for that reason.
The adjusting screw biases the top contacts when screwed in and raises the output voltage.
I suspect that if you clean the contacts and screw the adjusting screw back in, it'll still work.

This is a 3 coil regulator. Starting at about 5:10 she explains the voltage regulation function of it. It's a good description of what's happening with our 1 coil regulator.

There are two gaps in the voltage regulator you need to check and possibly adjust. Do that first before doing any adjusting with the adjusting screw. When I finally got around to checking my '78, I found the output was a bit low (max high 13's). I found both gaps off and just resetting them raised the output without having to touch the adjusting screw. Here's a diagram I "doctored" .....

Reg Adjust.JPG

Although the 650 manuals really make no mention of it, checking and adjusting the regulator should be considered a maintenance item. In the manual for the 750 triple, which uses a similar mechanical regulator, they tell you to check it every 8K miles .....

XS750RegAdjust.jpg

I ended up using an Ace Electric VR-1760 V R. I was going to try and clean up the original one, but I had already whacked the wires from it to use on a new one.
I used the info from the tech section to adapt the VR 1760 and now I have charging at the battery. Yay. I was going to change the rectifier also but it ohmed out fine. I just cleaned the connectors and now all good.

Attachments

• 1760.jpg
    1760.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 43
I ended up using an Ace Electric VR-1760 V R. I was going to try and clean up the original one, but I had already whacked the wires from it to use on a new one.
I used the info from the tech section to adapt the VR 1760 and now I have charging at the battery. Yay. I was going to change the rectifier also but it ohmed out fine. I just cleaned the connectors and now all good.
1/2 a step into the "Modern age" with an XS650." 😀 I did a real kludge of a mount, what did you come up with?

I used some 1/8" Boltaron (easy to shape) and mounted with rubber grommets under. The V R charges proper also. I'll get a pic of that when I have the fuel tank hooked back up.

Attachments

• D1AC5DE0-6115-4DA5-B3A8-A14F954B32DA.jpeg
    D1AC5DE0-6115-4DA5-B3A8-A14F954B32DA.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 45
I used some 1/8" Boltaron (easy to shape) and mounted with rubber grommets under. The V R charges proper also. I'll get a pic of that when I have the fuel tank hooked back up.
I like that. We have to laugh that we adapt 50 year old technology to a 60 year old design and enjoy modern (almost) reliability.

That looks good, how many RPM?
I usually have a voltmeter where I can see it but for at least a bit have one where you can see it while riding.

Attachments

• led indicators red.jpg
    led indicators red.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 28
Back