Wanted: I'm looking for a gas tank for my 1975 XS650, factory black paint with stock decals.

rollnslow

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I see that I'm not the only one looking for this , but my otherwise very nice 1975 XS650 has a big dent on the right side. The bike is mostly stock. If I can't find a decent replacement tank, does anyone know of a place that can restore my original tank...for a reasonable price? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How about this as an option?
E079DBB9-9E30-4610-A5BA-7394E5EBD19A.png

Hey thanks for the input. I've looked at all the 1974-75 gas tanks on eBay...the one I already have is in better shape than everything I saw there over the last several weeks. Mine would be fine except for the large dent on the right side. Any suggestions about where to find someone who can restore my tank?

Ah, price. There's a cost to everything, just have to decide how much it's worth to you.
Since you haven't posted a photo we can't know how bad your tank is dented.
Simple dimples can be removed using some of the paintless techniques but if you have any sharp edges they'll still show.
There are guys that will cut the bottom out and work dents out and reweld the bottom back in. That is not conducive to saving the original paint though.
Keep looking, every once in a while someone lists one at a decent price, under $200 is a decent price. But when you see it you need to act quickly because they don't stay around long. Those are the most desirable years, nice smooth shape with no tank name badges.

Ah, price. There's a cost to everything, just have to decide how much it's worth to you.
Since you haven't posted a photo we can't know how bad your tank is dented.
Simple dimples can be removed using some of the paintless techniques but if you have any sharp edges they'll still show.
There are guys that will cut the bottom out and work dents out and reweld the bottom back in. That is not conducive to saving the original paint though.
Keep looking, every once in a while someone lists one at a decent price, under $200 is a decent price. But when you see it you need to act quickly because they don't stay around long. Those are the most desirable years, nice smooth shape with no tank name badges.

Thank you RC4MAN, for your response. According to the guy I bought the bike from, the dent in my tank occurred when something fell on it while the bike was parked in his garage. The dent can be removed easily enough, I think, but it will need to be repainted and new decals applied. I like the stock look. One guy quoted me $1350 to restore the tank...more than I'm able to spend for this. If I can't find a decent replacement I'd like to find someone willing to restore mine for a reasonable price. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks again.

Back