Weighing my options.

olewahrhorse

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I acquired a 78 XS650 with title years ago. It runs but is very ratty...I took a job in Germany, and I saw the Elephant Rally on Youtube.
Always one for adventure and challenge, I shipped the XS650 with me. It runs. I tore it down to start my version of a high pipe scrambler in hopes to ride it to the rally. Before tear down, I converted to Renthal Bars, removed battery box, and built a custom box for a lithium battery. I picked up TX750 rims in 19" front and 18" rear. I am considering going with a 520 chain and sprockets. Looking at tires, I am figuring an aspect ratio of 1.05% over stock rear tire. I am looking for opinions on sprocket sizes. Adding the extra meat of the tires added two pounds of rear mass. So now to lose weight, I'll cut back on beer....

Attachments

• IMG_20220428_081359_849.jpg
    IMG_20220428_081359_849.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 94
  • germany.jpg
    germany.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 94
520 chain will wear out twice as fast as 530. If you're OK with that..... OTOH, I just learned my chain has over nine years on it! IMHO, a 17/36 combo is fine to 50 MPH (I think that's what I had once upon a time.)
Stay off beer, bread, and sugar. Your bike will get faster.

They're not cheap, but 520 X-ring chains will last a long, long time. I like EK (Enumi Kogyo), but there's nothing wrong with RK ( Regina Kogyo). Both are much stronger than unsealed 530 and will last much longer. Don't think I'd want to run an unsealed 520, though. You can sometimes save a few bucks by buying a "generic" length like a 120 link and cutting it to size.

Last edited:
They're not cheap, but 520 X-ring chains will last a long, long time. I like EK (Enumi Kogyo), but there's nothing wrong with RK ( Regina Kogyo). Both are much stronger than unsealed 530 and will last much longer. Don't think I'd want to run an unsealed 520, though. You can sometimes save a few bucks by buying a "generic" length a like 120 link and cutting it to size.
Where did you source your sprockets from?

How many of the old Zundapp flat twins are still showing up for that rally, hoss? Don't deprive yourself of too much brew; the tires add extra unsprung weight, which is what impacts suspension compliance most, and your weight sits over the springs. Enjoy!

Marty, we know about your purposes: to pay as little as possible for a chain and have it last till you're too old to ride anymore! Both are worthy goals to be sure, but not shared by all.
I can't argue that.... too much. I called MMM and told him I want an o'ring chain and sprockets. I didn't ask how much. I figure MMM won't send me junk and he won't overcharge me. There's trust in the relationship. http://650central.com

I do understand the chain is unsprung weight, at least in part.

On my 55
520 chain will wear out twice as fast as 530. If you're OK with that..... OTOH, I just learned my chain has over nine years on it! IMHO, a 17/36 combo is fine to 50 MPH (I think that's what I had once upon a time.)
Stay off beer, bread, and sugar. Your bike will get faster.
On my 55 rwhp Ducati 600/680, a 520 o-ring/ x-ring chain normally lasted 10-12000 miles (16-19000 km) Even the M900/900 SS , with 70-80 hp run #520 chain.
I do realise that the XS may be tougher on the chain, due to the unusually small rear sprocket though.
(Which is another good reason to install a high ratio primary gear set)

Back