Welded Frame, Bike wont start.

Nope. Just means they have a "clean" power source.
I think this is the solution im going to opt for. I just gotta splice the r/w wire on the coil and run it to the battery nd for the ignition just run that r/w wire straight to the battery?

Ya lost me; I thought you had good voltage all the way through ignition circuit to gonzo connector: voltage drop ~.5V ??

Ya lost me; I thought you had good voltage all the way through ignition circuit to gonzo connector: voltage drop ~.5V ??
No I lose about .5 volts at the gonzo unplugged. So if im ruinning 13.35, my r/w at the gonzo will read 12.8. If my coil is plugged in and I plug the gonzo in it will drop another 2. This might make it easier.
Voltage @ unplugged Gonzo connector w/ coil plugged in: ~-.5
Voltage @ plugged in Gonzo connector w/out coil plugged in: ~.5
Voltage @ plugged in Gonzo connector w coil plugged in: ~-2
Power at the kill switch and ignition has a negligible difference from the battery that can be chalked up to multimeter +-.
Hopefully this clarifies the situation to you. Sorry if I've made it difficult to follow

I think that's good, don't f with it!

Jim?
Yeah.... if it were me I think I'd let it be as is and see what the new gonzo box does. You can always escalate to direct wiring if it still doesn't run with the new box.

I am still curious/concerned about the 2v drop with the coil plugged in. That seems a bit excessive. Have you ohm'd out the coil primary?

Maybe typo, I interpreted coils @ addl' .5, gonzo+ coils 2V drop ??

Yeah.... if it were me I think I'd let it be as is and see what the new gonzo box does. You can always escalate to direct wiring if it still doesn't run with the new box.

I am still curious/concerned about the 2v drop with the coil plugged in. That seems a bit excessive. Have you ohm'd out the coil primary?
Yeah I ohmed it just today. It seemed a bit all over the place, maybe my multimeter is acting up, but it was bouncing from 2.6 to 3.3, but spending muched of its time at 2.8

Yeah I ohmed it just today. It seemed a bit all over the place, maybe my multimeter is acting up, but it was bouncing from 2.6 to 3.3, but spending muched of its time at 2.8
Is that the new MP08 you picked up?
If it is, can you put the old coil back in and see what the V. drop is with it?

Is that the new MP08 you picked up?
If it is, can you put the old coil back in and see what the V. drop is with it?
Yep thats with the new mp08. I actually cut the wires off the old one to solder them onto the mp08. Im sure i can do it again, just dont end up too short with wires

Yep thats with the new mp08. I actually cut the wires off the old one to solder them onto the mp08. Im sure i can do it again, just dont end up too short with wires
Strip the insulation back on the original and measure it's primary before you do that?

If that's the OEM coil it should be around 2.5Ω
If the new one won't give a steady ohm reading.... not rightly sure I'd trust it.... :umm:
Tbf my multimeter prongs kinda gave out and it’s been hard getting a steady reading. I just glued them back in and I’ll try again. I don’t see why it’d be giving not a steady reading. Also second gonzo box is here

Edit: Got a solid 2.8. It was the multimeters fault. the wires popped loose from the prongs and needed to be resecured. Still not entirely perfect, battery was jumping from 13.10-13.12, but that much i feel is okay.

Im not gonna setup or crank or even touch this gonzo till I am given a little more guidance lol

Last edited:
How about a pic of rear of 6pin connector - bot top & bottom - one more time...

Im not gonna setup or crank or even touch this gonzo till I am given a little more guidance lol

Oh sure.... put it all on us.... :wink2:
If you're 100% sure you've got the 6pin connector correctly wired this time, I'd say go for it.
Plugs in and tight.
HT leads connected.
Coil connected.
TCI connector connected to the pigtail.
Pigtail connected to the (new) box.
TCI Pickup connector connected.
Battery power and gnd connected.
Video camera at the ready.
Anything else?
Anyone else?

Beuller? :sneaky:

"Fire in the hole!!"

one more time...
thumbsup.gif

Alright yall, went down the checklist.
Coil primary: 2.8
Secondary (with 5k caps): 33.6
Pickups 794 & 736
12 volts to the coil
12 volts to the kill switch
12 volts to the pigtail (dont know how or what changed, but its going).
Gonna send yall a pic of the gonzo with plugs one more time.
Edit:pics

Attachments

• CA9FD5DD-1DA3-4378-8F60-1E9EA525540B.jpeg
    CA9FD5DD-1DA3-4378-8F60-1E9EA525540B.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 75B08DCF-4E6B-4414-8419-9B70FA8EDBED.jpeg
    75B08DCF-4E6B-4414-8419-9B70FA8EDBED.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 22F6418C-5CE8-45E5-A8F9-95EF5410CABE.jpeg
    22F6418C-5CE8-45E5-A8F9-95EF5410CABE.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
She runs!! Idle is sitting at nearly 3k, but much smoother. Uploading a Video to youtube now and I'll link it in a minute!
Now where should I go from here? I’ve heard to check and adjust timing, but I haven’t don’t that before. I picked up a light when preparing for this swap.

Back