Welded Frame, Bike wont start.

I forget; did the ign. timing get verified after all that?

I forget; did the ign. timing get verified after all that?
I havent had a chance to check it. I probably will after work. My choke cable has a nasty kink in it and the bracket is stripped to im at a loss for how to replace it short of getting one of these. I guess I could fashion a handle instead of a cable if thats possible? Id rather have that then a cable on my handlebars tbh.

Converting a cable choke to direct-pull (having done it) is quite a task. Temporary, maybe through-bolt the clamp. Still issue of bad cable. Perhaps straighten outer kinked cable & lube ? - IDK.

Need a timing light to do timing right and verify advance. Clamp each HT lead at a time look for F mark @ idle and a clockwise rotation as rpm's increase toward 3500

Converting a cable choke to direct-pull (having done it) is quite a task. Temporary, maybe through-bolt the clamp. Still issue of bad cable. Perhaps straighten outer kinked cable & lube ? - IDK.

Need a timing light to do timing right and verify advance. Clamp each HT lead at a time look for F mark @ idle and a clockwise rotation as rpm's increase toward 3500
HT Lead? Im not quite sure if I can achieve a warm and steady idle with my choke not working :/

Spark plug lead (HT). Won't idle once warmed up?

Last edited:
Okay yall long day. I got off work at 8 and got it to idle really smoothly at around 1100rpms. I held the choke in manually until it warmed up, my fingers got sore! I went to time the ignition and noticed that the marks were a bit to the right of TDC at idle, and advanced as i gave it more throttle. All the information Ive seen for adjusting ignition timing has been for points ignition or pamco, boyer and Im not sure how to adjust the timing on TCI/CDI. I looked at the panel above the left spark plug and that left me more confused than I was before.
At this point i figured it was time to go get some gas because I was running low, and i got stranded at the gas station! Had a friend come to give me a jump because my bike would not start, and even then it would not really run. The cars engine was not on for the jump. I had to give it constant throttle to make sure it did not die, and when I tried to ride it, it would not break maybe 15 mph stuttering the whole way. Ended up having to do the walk of shame a mile home :(. Some things I noticed about how the bike was running
-black smoke out the exhaust when riding and the engine is warm
-backfire from both the carbs and the exhaust
-RPM's bogged at half throttle
-After it died and i would start it back up, I would have to give it full throttle just to maintain 1k rpm.
-After it died, it did not want to drive. Sputtering and zero power.
-My battery is now very low on charge, 12.1v.
-When the bike died at the gas station, the gauge lights turned off until it cranked and got a bit of spark and tried its best to start.​
All this was incredibly upsetting, now im exhausted. Im down to do a bit of trouble shooting/discussion, but I am very exhausted from pushing all the way home. Seems like its running rich? Ill go check the spark plugs. and have a bit more info here In a second

Nothing under the cam cover after '79 model.
Timing on that ign. pickup is supposed to be fixed - no std adj. I advised checking as you described rough running. Didn't want to go into carbs on goose chase without verifying. Now:umm:
I remember you checked rotor/stator ohm reading, don't remember if running charging system check was done. If battery got low, will not spark correctly
Bad idea to work on stuff when tired. I'll (we'll) ponder and plan attack near future.

Nothing under the cam cover after '79 model.
Timing on that ign. pickup is supposed to be fixed - no std adj. I advised checking as you described rough running. Didn't want to go into carbs on goose chase without verifying. Now:umm:
I remember you checked rotor/stator ohm reading, don't remember if running charging system check was done. If battery got low, will not spark correctly
Bad idea to work on stuff when tired. I'll (we'll) ponder and plan attack near future.
Sounds like a plan!

Hope you put it on the charger....
Like JP sez....I think checking the alternator... charging system should be the next order of business.
Hang in there. You'll get there. :smoke:

Do a forum search for "Voltmeter."
It's cheap peace of mind on old bikes like ours.

Not sure where this is at
But now there are signs of life

There is a description of " Soft " Ignition lock
Unless you want and can bypass the ignition lock Mr JP has what looks as a plan in post # 297
If he is kind enough to check it before .Why not deal with him ?

Dont touch the carburetors just yet
When power supply is up the ignition timing comes next.

It does sound as You can have a shorted Alternator rotor Though.But the power supply comes first
But it is not difficult to check the rotor if you search you can find it here on the forum.

And hooking up a Voltmeter is a good thing even temporarily.

Last edited:
Morning y’all! So I’m following this to troubleshoot my charging system and found some stuff really quick.
-Slap test is all good
-Ran a jumper ground from reg to ground and this is what I found.
-W/out jump, my battery doesn’t get a charge, even when revving.
-W/ jump, at idle, my battery goes up to 13.5 and then @2500-3k it’s sitting at around 14
-brown wire at the rear of the bike measures a .2v drop from the battery voltage.
-three white wires at the stator all measure 15vAC at idle
Seems like it’s regulator rectifier problem going on

Last edited:
Regulator is likely good. The harness ground is bad somewhere.

Back