Welded Frame, Bike wont start.

Well, Does it SPARK now?

Well, Does it SPARK now?
It still doesnt spark. Its weird, once i installed the coil i couldnt get a reading from the plug caps. I took the right one off and it read 17.xx when tested with the left. I then installed the right plug cap again and was not able to get a reading. Then I took off the left plug cap and with the right plug and the left wire read once again 17.xx. I just dont know what to do

I can get a reading with one of the caps and one lead, but not both if that makes sense. Battery is charged and still no spark.

Last edited:
Weird indeed. Is the battery known-good in the Multimeter? Maybe even try another MOV.

Also, as it's been apart, obviously, triple check all connectors.

Plug the caps back onto the plugs and rest them on the engine...
There's two wires going to the coil. One's power (R/W?) into the coil.
The other wire (orange or brown?) goes to the TCI box. Take this one and disconnect it from the harness.
With power on, tap that wire against the frame... some bare metal... a ground.
Every time you tap it, the plugs should fire. Do they?

Plug the caps back onto the plugs and rest them on the engine...
There's two wires going to the coil. One's power (R/W?) into the coil.
The other wire (orange or brown?) goes to the TCI box. Take this one and disconnect it from the harness.
With power on, tap that wire against the frame... some bare metal... a ground.
Every time you tap it, the plugs should fire. Do they?
No spark

Attachments

• 31869572-997D-4E00-980B-B9B36A621C23.jpeg
    31869572-997D-4E00-980B-B9B36A621C23.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 60
I don't know if you're getting a good ground on that painted frame with Orange wire. Red/white connected and powered via switch?

I'm wait'in on Jim

Comment: you're too young to work on these bikes - no age spots on hands...LOL

Did you get any sparking on the orange wire?
Have you checked for 12v on the R/W wire?
Have you ohm'd out the caps yet? Should get about 5kΩ on each.

Did you get any sparking on the orange wire?
Have you checked for 12v on the R/W wire?
Have you ohm'd out the caps yet? Should get about 5kΩ on each.
I didn’t get any sparking on the orange wire. Not getting voltage to r/w wire right next to it. How should I ohm the caps individually? im now getting a reading of 22.4 when im ohming both caps

You need to find out where it's getting lost at then.

No... prolly not, not if you don't have power coming in.

Set the meter on 2k and stick a probe in each end.
r/w wire is getting less than 12v.
Both spark plug wires are hopping between 1 and 2 with the multimeter set at 2k.
Power is getting to my fuses, but not 12v to any of them. These are also fresh fuses. Im experiencing like a .4amp drop from battery to fuse and another .5 from ignition fuse to r/w wire.

Backing up for a moment.....there must be 12V between R/W to coil with Ign. Switch and Kill switch to ON.
Steps:
Check for 12V at battery terminals
check for 12V at R/W at fuse to ground

Way Back: How many volts?

Backing up for a moment.....there must be 12V between R/W to coil with Ign. Switch and Kill switch to ON.
Steps:
Check for 12V at battery terminals
check for 12V at R/W at fuse to ground

Way Back: How many volts?
Not 12. I charged up my battery for probably 4 hours today @ 1.25 amps. It was reading 12.8 when i put it in, but not anymore.

11ish is OK for testing purpose, not less than 11.

Also, I notice the coil appears to have a block connector to harness, it has to be connected to harness and you'll have to remove (looks like ya did) orange or jumpered it "tapping" to ground. We're looking for voltage on R/W at coil connector to ground above 11VDC

Then do the tapping orange to bare metal ground

11ish is OK for testing purpose, not less than 11.

Also, I notice the coil appears to have a block connector to harness, it has to be connected to harness and you'll have to remove (looks like ya did) orange or jumpered it "tapping" to ground. We're looking for voltage on R/W at coil connector to ground above 11VDC
Coming out of the other coil side of the connector, when grounded to the battery the r/w wire reads just above 11volts

Then we can press on or charge battery, but ya got voltage going to coil.

Then we can press on or charge battery, but ya got voltage going to coil.
Im mostly concerned that my TCI is blown. It makes a lot of sense that it would be, wish I had foresight.... ive only welded on cars before this and havent had this issue before with the battery connected.

Understood. We haven't confirmed bad TCI yet though

Back