Welded Frame, Bike wont start.

Also, I havent said it enough. Thank yall so much for taking time out of your days to help me get this bike running again. Its my main means of transportation and the fact that yall are helping me proves gods infinite mercy. Anything less than infinite mercy would have thrown a brick at my head for being such an idiot. So thank you.

Easy test on magnet (stock stator system); key-off, hold 10mm wrench between thumb and finger, let it dangle vertically close (1/2") to left cover in front of shifter. Turn key on. The wrench should be pulled into cover via magnetism.

:whistle:That's the electomagnet.
We've had magnets that energize the pickup coils seem weak. a bit of pull on a screwdriver placed on the magnet a decent test.

We can verify you coil connection to bike harness whenever you're ready (colors),

Need to know what wire colors (smaller 16ga wires) are present from coils or a pic of coils please

So it pulls the wrench in from about a half inch away. My best guess tells me the magnets are probably okay. Is it common that welding the frame can cause damage to them?

Last edited:
All good there. That verifies (kinda) that pickup coil is seeing what it needs to. Coil connections? and you said you have 12V there on R/W wire?

Here’s my coil and my harness wired to the gn250. I still have a white and blue and a white and green wire connected to the stock harness that now goes nowhere. Could this cause issues?

Attachments

• AAEC3DC8-FDA9-437D-A277-D7D4F8F6B5B8.jpeg
    AAEC3DC8-FDA9-437D-A277-D7D4F8F6B5B8.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 2EB27A5D-7ED4-4A9E-90C8-D9F42C792497.jpeg
    2EB27A5D-7ED4-4A9E-90C8-D9F42C792497.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 36
All good there. That verifies (kinda) that pickup coil is seeing what it needs to. Coil connections? and you said you have 12V there on R/W wire?
Yep. Just soldered the old wires onto the mp08 and it’s giving me good connection. Reading 12.05 volts at the red wire and 3.1ohms as the primary

Should be good there at coil. I don't think it matters on polarity, but orange is ground signal from TCI, R/W power 12V+.
I'm researching Wh/Gn and Wh/bu vs Gonzo.

Hi Bob! Gary send you? Gonzo help...

Should be good there at coil. I don't think it matters on polarity, but orange is ground signal from TCI, R/W power 12V+.
I'm researching Wh/Gn and Wh/bu vs Gonzo.

Hi Bob! Gary send you? Gonzo help...
Yeah just made an observation checking my pickups. They seem to be pretty good, 725 and 780, but what I did notice is that the bl/wh wire that I have plugged into the gonzo doesnt give me a reading, but gives me a ground for the other wires (orange, wh/gn). Would this mean that my wh/gn is my negative and the bl/wh is my ground and I should plug my wh/gn into the gonzo?

Edit, found this diagram and im inclined to give this a go. Its on the https://www.xs650.com/threads/gonzo-diy-tci-system.57694/ thread.
1659796637456.png

Last edited:
Wait'in on jetmechmarty, I think he has one of these critters........

Yeah just made an observation checking my pickups. They seem to be pretty good, 725 and 780, but what I did notice is that the bl/wh wire that I have plugged into the gonzo doesnt give me a reading, but gives me a ground for the other wires (orange, wh/gn). Would this mean that my wh/gn is my negative and the bl/wh is my ground and I should plug my wh/gn into the gonzo?

Edit, found this diagram and im inclined to give this a go. Its on the https://www.xs650.com/threads/gonzo-diy-tci-system.57694/ thread.
View attachment 221129
The two wires peculiar to the 82-83 bikes go to the sidestand switch. If the bike is in gear with the sidestand down, voltage is removed from the TCI. When you go from 8 pin to 6 pin, those are the two wires to be eliminated.

View attachment 221129
Those extra wires are from sidestand safety switch and do not connect to Gonzo. I'm unsure ATM what to do to bypass that function

The two wires peculiar to the 82-83 bikes go to the sidestand switch. If the bike is in gear with the sidestand down, voltage is removed from the TCI. When you go from 8 pin to 6 pin, those are the two wires to be eliminated.
Okay, pretty much both my pickup positives are coming from the wh/r

Fashion a temporary jumper from Blue/yellow to ground - see what happens

Those extra wires are from sidestand safety switch and do not connect to Gonzo. I'm unsure ATM what to do to bypass that function
Also to note, My side stand safety switch has never worked. Ive been able to start the bike with it down all day

Back