Welded Frame, Bike wont start.

Attachments

• 35474660-F8D8-43CC-808D-A5D462369712.jpeg
    35474660-F8D8-43CC-808D-A5D462369712.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
There was a sidestand safety switch on the '82-'83 models. It acted upon a relay which killed the ignition when activated. There were two "triggers" for the relay, the sidestand switch and the signal from the neutral light. One or the other had to be in effect or the relay would kill the ignition. If you just removed the sidestand switch, the bike would only run in neutral and die when put in gear. You must remove the sidestand switch AND the relay. No jumper wires are needed, just remove both items.

'78E Standard, '83 Heritage Special, and 3 Euro twins

We need to trace down that relay in addition to the sidestand switch

Should be ok. Connect everything, leave side stand switch and that relay unplugged, turn switches on see if it will spark or start.

Should be ok. Connect everything, leave side stand switch and that relay unplugged, turn switches on see if it will spark or start.
Still nothing :/
Now I’m noticing that my gonzo isn’t getting near 12 volts

Attachments

• 32E40374-E6EA-4B2F-BFA2-3CCBFDE657AC.jpeg
    32E40374-E6EA-4B2F-BFA2-3CCBFDE657AC.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
How's battery voltage

Gary - On the Gonzo - it's my interpretation that the Wh/Gn is not used??:shrug:

Niki - Ok, you're gonna have to trace the Red/White (not Wh/Red) backwards from Gonzo checking for voltage to ground until you find where it's gettin lost.
Also, probably should tape that bare Wh/Gn from harness to insulate

Last edited:
Just so y'all know, I'm out of town and don't have access to all the tech shit on my computer.
I kinda feel bad that I sold Niki this wire harness and now I can't help make it work...

Seems like im losing a lot of voltage from the bike harness to the gonzo unit. Im not really sure what to do at this point. I kinda wanna hit my head against a wall.

No problem Jim: with your connectivity, if ya see me make a mistake, maybe give me a thumbs down or a sad face ??

Niki - if ya can, we need to know about where the voltage gets lost

Two common voltage loss spots are ignition and kill switch contacts.
Could always jumper a hot to the Gonzo. don't leave it sitting with voltage and motor not running.

Two common voltage loss spots are ignition and kill switch contacts.
Could always jumper a hot to the Gonzo. don't leave it sitting with voltage and motor not running.
Iirc, Jack Left one hot overnight just to see what happens. Didn't hurt it.

Here's a better diagram. Red/White wire at "ignitor Unit" (second from right) trace that back - each black dot along the way is a connection- go all the way through handlebar/kill switch to fuse block. And....what Gary said
82_XS650SJ_SK.PNG

Just so y'all know, I'm out of town and don't have access to all the tech shit on my computer.
I kinda feel bad that I sold Niki this wire harness and now I can't help make it work...
Dont feel bad! I seriously appreciate all the help that youve given me. Ive just got to work and Ill be here until 4.
Here's a better diagram. Red/White wire at "ignitor Unit" (second from right) trace that back - each black dot along the way is a connection- go all the way through handlebar/kill switch to fuse block. And....what Gary said
View attachment 221140
Im having a hard time following this diagram and the instructions accompanying it. Does the brown wire from the main switch turn into the r/w that I should then follow from the fuse to the handlebar switch? Im having trouble following the r/w from the ignitor to the main switch and fuse.

Back