Welded Frame, Bike wont start.

Just so y'all know, I'm out of town and don't have access to all the tech shit on my computer.
I kinda feel bad that I sold Niki this wire harness and now I can't help make it work...
Dont feel bad! I appreciate whatever help you are capable of giving, I'm not entitled to your knowledge and help by any means.

Follow Red/white from Gonzo (igniter) back through kill switch then to fuse box. If no voltage we'll trace another circuit then.

How old is you battery ?
Check the condition of the ignition circuit fuse.
Dirty Kill switch comes to mind. Clean your battery ground.

Sorry didn't see a lot of the preceding posts til now.

I think the side stand operates one of the extra wires in the 8 pin connector that the Gonzo is not even hooked up to.

To our children's children.

The two wires peculiar to the 82-83 bikes go to the sidestand switch. If the bike is in gear with the sidestand down, voltage is removed from the TCI. When you go from 8 pin to 6 pin, those are the two wires to be eliminated.

To be clear the safety switches don't kill the power to the red/white wire at the tci connector. The extra pins are a inhibit signal for the OEM TCI box not to spark.

How old is you battery ?
Check the condition of the ignition circuit fuse.
Dirty Kill switch comes to mind. Clean your battery ground.

Sorry didn't see a lot of the preceding posts til now.

I think the side stand operates one of the extra wires in the 8 pin connector that the Gonzo is not even hooked up to.
Battery is about a week old. Fuses are new, but may have suffered from the improper wiring. The bike turns over well, cranks but wont spark. Would the kill switch having a dirty ground result in the bike not turning over at all?

The starter button needs a good ground, but kill switch only connect R/W in to R/W out - needs to make that connection well with little (if any) voltage loss

The easy way to blame something on the loom is to pull the fuse marked ign and apply power to the red wire in the Gonzo pig tail from a known good battery hooked to jumper cables with the - (ground hooked up to the cases) and wire clamped to the the positive cable to power the Gonzo and crank to look for sparks.

If you get spark then its something connected to the loom . If not then coil setup , wiring or fried Gonzo from reverse polarity.

I have not read through the posts
But a ground to cases might not be good enough.
If I don't have spark i Tend to pull a separate ground wire or wires to battery minus ... that is generally speaking without risk
And I also pull a separate 12 V to the spots where that needs to be and then work for getting a spark there is a risk And needs to be careful
and do not ..DO NOT leave it connected after the test ask here if the slightest doubts how to do it.

I have not read through the posts
But a ground to cases might not be good enough.
If I don't have spark i Tend to pull a separate ground wire or wires to battery minus ... that is generally speaking without risk
And I also pull a separate 12 V to the spots where that needs to be and then work for getting a spark there is a risk And needs to be careful
and do not ..DO NOT leave it connected after the test ask here if the slightest doubts how to do it.
So in this case, connect a second ground from the gonzo's ground to the current battery's ground, and a hookup a second 12 volt to the gonzo's power cable and crank it looking for sparks?

So in this case, connect a second ground from the gonzo's ground to the current battery's ground, and a hookup a second 12 volt to the gonzo's power cable and crank it looking for sparks?

Sorry dont have time to read through ,,but You have a ground at engine cases . Or somewhere may I suggest extending that temporarily with an extension to Minus on the battery --- the less risky part test that first and report .. It is night here so perhaps I have time to look at the posts. Tomorrow
If you want to think it over yourself you figure out where 12 V shall be Coils also I believe
The ground wires can be many but the power feed I use one only and measure the actual Voltage on it.
And again dont leave it there.

Where did ya get stuck?

Ya still got 12V on R/W @ Gonzo?

Are you more comfortable tracing R/W circuit back or do you want to try hot jumper to power Gonzo?

Got any friends with electrical knowledge? in-person

Back