Welded Frame, Bike wont start.

About all I can think of for the dying is maybe the float levels are low.... un-porting the pilot jet when it rocks back. That's a bit out there... but worth a look see.

Those pleated K&N style air filters have a known history of not working well with the stock CV carbs. I'd consider getting some foam pod filters.

Has any rejetting been done to the carbs yet?

It looks to me like it died when you moved the handlebar to the left.
Good catch Marty. After looking again... that's a good possibility. Try rolling forward and turn the bars the same way?

It looks to me like it died when you moved the handlebar to the left.
No it’ll hold an idle fine with the handlebars turned too the left, maybe rolling backwards + handlebars turning left?
Edit: you’re right it’s when the handlebars are turned to the left. If they begin in the left position it’s fine
About all I can think of for the dying is maybe the float levels are low.... un-porting the pilot jet when it rocks back. That's a bit out there... but worth a look see.

Those pleated K&N style air filters have a known history of not working well with the stock CV carbs. I'd consider getting some foam pod filters.

Has any rejetting been done to the carbs yet?
I had set the float levels not too long ago, and only did a little bit of cleaning so I’m sure that the carbs could use a full disassembly and cleaning.
I’ll definitely take a loot into foam pod filters. I haven’t rejetted these carbs

Last edited:
Adjusted the cam chain and set the valve clearances to spec and it’s running much better now, but still not great. It’s also doing a weird thing where it will die when I walk the bike backwards in neutral. Not really sure what to do about that
Idle
Dying when rolling backwards

Provided the ignition timing is right which I believe it can be without seen the blipping
I personally would accept that Idling.... yes .... it is not perfect But who needs that
The carburetor guys can have opinions on the intake filters and exhaust
But I would not mess with it if it runs Ok at normal speeds.

The stopping at going backwards .. NO Clue have Taxi money in the Pocket and a friend with muscles and a Pick up Informed
Can still be an electrical wire shorting ..
So don't head for Alaska or Mexico just yet...

Niki, you come-up with the weirdest of problems! lol.

I you can't find it. See if the horn button and/or the starter button works when the motor dies, or only works when everything else does.

Okay Yall, I got tired of tracking wires down in the stock harness so I concocted an idea with help from the "Some wiring diagrams" thread. Im wanting to eliminate the electric starter and pretty much anything I dont need. I want, headlight, tail/brake light, and kickstart. Heres what I came up with. Im a bit confused on the brake switches, but please give me your feedback.

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram 8-19.png
    Wiring Diagram 8-19.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 65
Still studying, maybe some adjustments to come.... fixed brk switches and neutral switch only
Wiring Diagram 8-19.png

Well I am gonna impersonate Mr Grizid speaking my mind I don't do this to belittle or hurt someone

The problem finding a short with this aehummm ,, advice we give is much simpler than setting up a new wiring.
We are almost there given that the turning of the handlebar was an indication.
Should be possible to yank the wires and find it

I believe that the best way forward is that you'll continue fix the one you have ..
It is not so easy to connect and setup a wiring ..
It also needs solid connections and tools for this.
Bying wiring of different kinds and so on

One side of Neutral bulb gets switched positive wire, the switch on top of crankcase supplies ground when in neutral.

One side of Neutral bulb gets switched positive wire, the switch on top of crankcase supplies ground when in neutral.
I wasn’t able to crack that one :/. Everything else works, working on heat wrapping it. I have the positive running to the neutral indicator, but no light

Switched power goes to the neu. light. The other lead goes to the (transmission) switch.

When you shift into neutral, the switch goes to ground... turning the light on.

EDIT: Into neutral turns on the light.... grounds the switch.... oops

Last edited:
hey y’all, sorry for the late night post. My headlight all of the sudden stopped working and I don’t know why. My fuse is good, my rear running light is on, there is voltage getting to the light, and it is grounded to the left hand switch and the frame. I was working just before, but now it isn’t

Back