Well, I'll be jiggered...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
We had a couple of 60+ MPH wind storms over the Winter and I lost a few square feet of shingles off my garage.

It's the original roof from when I built the garage in '92 so it's 30 years old. Roofing contractor quoted me $9500 all in for 16 squares, with quality shingles and ice-and-water shield.

I filed a claim on a whim, assuming they'd laugh heartily, say "The roof is 30 years old, what the f**k were you thinking?" Either that or depreciate it to the point that it wouldn't even cover my deductible.

Imagine my surprise when my agent called today and said "We'll cut a check right now for $xxxx and when we see a signed contract for complete replacement, we'll cut you another check to cover the depreciation deduction."

So basically, I'm out my deductible for complete replacement of a 30 year old roof.

I suspect my premiums will reflect that, but it's better than taking out a loan or wiping out savings.

Nice to hear a good story about people cooperating and being honest -Not just being hustlers and trixters not to say
Fraudsters

Outstanding DE! Having just re roofed my house, I can tell you, you just saved yourself a heap of dough! :thumbsup:

He quoted me $550 per square installed for shingles and underlayment, plus extra for ridge vent and disposal. $9500 total on a simple gable roof, no valleys or flashing to deal with.

garage1.jpg

Aaaaaaaannnnd - we're done.

Uploaded a copy of the signed contract yesterday, they electronically deposited the depreciation refund today.

So I'm out $1575 for a brand new roof on a 24x48 garage. Contractor will start next week, weather permitting.

Can't beat it with a stick.

View attachment 210293

Aaaaaaaannnnd - we're done.

Uploaded a copy of the signed contract yesterday, they electronically deposited the depreciation refund today.

So I'm out $1575 for a brand new roof on a 24x48 garage. Contractor will start next week, weather permitting.

Can't beat it with a stick.
You got a great deal there DE
Once and awhile it works out for the working man

Just who is this insurance company that has done such a thing? Happy and insurance company are usually not words seen used together.
I know, right? State Farm, been with them since I got my driver's license in 1965. Not the cheapest, but the few times I've needed them, they've been right there.

It seems like that's the new norm for insurance :umm:,if it even looks like hail damage they whip out a check and you get a new roof no matter how old it was.

It seems like that's the new norm for insurance :umm:,if it even looks like hail damage they whip out a check and you get a new roof no matter how old it was.
Not sure why... but yeah, seems that way. My roof was old and in need of replacement. The guy I had give me an estimate said I had hail damage and should file a claim. I did. Am Fam guy looked at it and cut me a check for all but about a grand of the cost. Needless to say, I was extremely tickled.

I suspect it has to do with claims rates and coverage rates. The more they pay out the more they can charge. They make their money on investing the cash flow.

I suspect it has to do with claims rates and coverage rates. The more they pay out the more they can charge. They make their money on investing the cash flow.
I can see that on my current premiums

Back