Well the last 5 days

Yamaha Graveyard

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was on hold waiting for parts and I decided to skip ahead one or 2 jobs drained the oil and pulled the filters. The oil was clean with no trash in it the small filter had some small metal shards no more than I find during a routine WR400 change it was also missing it's gasket . I have the PO to thank for that. The sump filter was blown out and crushed from over torque. So it's back together and doesn't appear to be leaking.

Then I moved to the left side cover to clean, lube and free up the adjuster screw so I can get to the bottom of the clutch slippage. This cover was also missing it's gasket but the clutch feels right now, I will know more when I get it running again.

Last night and today I have been working on the seat conversion. I fabed in some stop posts using the little gems in the pictures but I really think it's a little high, I have included some pics for expert opinions please? This an 83 converting to a 75 seat. At this point I would like to weld the hinge mounts to the frame but would like some input about height before doing so because that would lock my height in where we are. Perhaps I should lower the seat to the bottom of the adjustment range? I can go about 3/8 lower and if I need to be higher for some reason I can shim the seat hardware? Thoughts?

Once this is done the carbs are coming off and I will have 50 more questions. the good news is I started at the back and I have almost finished the middle.

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 109
  • seat2.jpg
    seat2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 108
  • seat3.jpg
    seat3.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 104
  • seat5.jpg
    seat5.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 105
  • seat7.jpg
    seat7.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 107
At this point I would like to weld the hinge mounts to the frame but would like some input about height before doing so because that would lock my height in where we are. Perhaps I should lower the seat to the bottom of the adjustment range? I can go about 3/8 lower and if I need to be higher for some reason I can shim the seat hardware? Thoughts?
Seat height is determined by the rubber dampers on the bottom of the seat. The hinges themselves aren't robust enough. The rubbers need to be resting on the top frame rails.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks Jim, Heritage frame only meet 75 seat at rear rubber stop. there is roughly a 13mm gap to the other rubbers. You did give me an Idea to possibly remove the rear lift I installed and lower the others to that level.

That does look high. I have a standard seat on my 79 special madness. I used seat side hinge brackets from the standard cuz they are shorter in height. then made my own latch. If I remember correctly I even mashed the frame hinge brackets down a bit for the fit. All to improve how the standard seat looks on the special frame. :shrug:
The special seats just don't work with my inseam length. I think I even got rid of the rubber bumpers to get it low as possible. I 'll double check when I'm out in the shed tomorrow.

madness seat.jpg
Seat LH.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, Heritage frame only meet 75 seat at rear rubber stop. there is roughly a 13mm gap to the other rubbers. You did give me an Idea to possibly remove the rear lift I installed and lower the others to that level.
Well, failing all else, you could always fab up some horseshoe brackets for the seat rubbers to rest on and weld those to the frame.

Nice! I wonder if that Grab rail would fit my special?

Yes it should. I have fitted one to my 80SG. The frame rear brackets that hold the indicators has a hole the Grab-rail will attach to. This is the rear guard hole.. The grab rail also has brackets for the indicators and if you use that bracket the studs are very tight/close to the frame bracket to get the nuts on. Can be done, or use the frame brackets for the indicators................hell you can put 4 on if you want

That does look high. I have a standard seat on my 79 special madness. I used seat side hinge brackets from the standard cuz they are shorter in height. then made my own latch. If I remember correctly I even mashed the frame hinge brackets down a bit for the fit. All to improve how the standard seat looks on the special frame. :shrug:
The special seats just don't work with my inseam length. I think I even got rid of the rubber bumpers to get it low as possible. I 'll double check when I'm out in the shed tomorrow.

View attachment 207905View attachment 207906
See that acorn nut holding your rear fender on, Does anyone know where I can get a couple of those?

Yes it should. I have fitted one to my 80SG. The frame rear brackets that hold the indicators has a hole the Grab-rail will attach to. This is the rear guard hole.. The grab rail also has brackets for the indicators and if you use that bracket the studs are very tight/close to the frame bracket to get the nuts on. Can be done, or use the frame brackets for the indicators................hell you can put 4 on if you want
Look what I found at a swap meet today $10.00 It will bolt right up :)

Attachments

• grab.jpg
    grab.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 94
Back