We're off to see the Wizard!

I received a cylinder from Gary today (that needs boring). I started calling motorcycle shops and found out that no shops around here do bore jobs. Does anyone know anyone that does bore jobs near Atlanta? The shops I worked at in the 70's always had a boring machine.
Bill
I am getting my GPz cylinders bored at Eagle Machine in Auburn, GA. They can go small enough to do the 750 cylinders so they should be able to bore the 650. Be advised, they are two months out... Talk to Bill Brady 770 339 3053

The second xs650 for Gary is getting closer. Got the engine in today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 67
The bike did not come with a center stand. I did find one. Just found out I put the wrong bolts holding the center stand to the frame. They are too short. Did Yamaha make different lengths? Now I have to find the longer ones and then replace them. What a pain but I am learning stuff every day.

Anyone seen this stack up on the Kickstarter shaft? The parts list I have does not show these parts, just the flat washer between the shaft and case..
Was looking back and saw this. @BowlingSS 000146 also has that thrust bearing 'tween the kicker and the cover.
It also lacks a snap ring to hold all the kicker parts together on the shaft like the later bikes have, takes a bit more fiddling to get it all back in place to fit the cover.
KIMG1427.JPG

The bike did not come with a center stand. I did find one. Just found out I put the wrong bolts holding the center stand to the frame. They are too short. Did Yamaha make different lengths? Now I have to find the longer ones and then replace them. What a pain but I am learning stuff every day.
70-73 center stand bolts are longer because they also hold the mufflers on. I have a pair of the longer bolts. PM me if interested.

Bought this bike home from North Dakota long ago mainly cuz some paint chips showed green. ;^)
imageb.jpeg
twas a bit rough
image.jpeg
It went to see Bill this spring mostly looking like this;
20150811_101245.jpg
and he graciously sent back the headlight bucket and ears.
Got busy with some acetone today, when I started,
KIMG1521.JPG
and finished
KIMG1523.JPG
Debating touch up or leave as is...
Have some green sidecovers also
also a bit "experienced".
Still need a tank and shock covers in original green. Been beating the bushes for a tank for a long time with no success so far.

Bought this bike home from North Dakota long ago mainly cuz some paint chips showed green. ;^)
View attachment 218352
twas a bit rough
View attachment 218355
It went to see Bill this spring mostly looking like this;
View attachment 218354
and he graciously sent back the headlight bucket and ears.
Got busy with some acetone today, when I started,
View attachment 218356
and finished
View attachment 218359
Debating touch up or leave as is...
Have some green sidecovers also
also a bit "experienced".
Still need a tank and shock covers in original green. Been beating the bushes for a tank for a long time with no success so far.
LEAVE IT!

Back