What book are you reading right now?

I switch up between heavy and light but real books for bedtime seem to be best, unless they are TOO interesting!
Gotta discipline myself to quit when the eyes get heavy, go beyond that, and BOINK up all night on a good read.

I use a Kobo e reader. There are a plethora of sites where you can download free. Baldacci, Grisham, King, Patterson Brown, you name it. I download hundreds at a time, unfortunately, you never know if the books are interesting or not, so you have to read a few pages first, if no good, then delete them. Only trouble is, if you read a lot, you tend to forget which books you've read. I tend to like post apocatyptic books mostly, but because I do read a lot, tend to read pretty well anything if it's interesting. Some books and authors are just not to my liking, I tried Catcher in the Rye, but gave up pretty quick on that one. Most of Steven Kings books get deleted after only a couple of pages.
Baldacci is one of my favourites, along with Patterson, Follet and Higgins.

Tragedy and Hope. Quigley.

Cybernetics, Wiener

And Conrad for the supurb style. Try writing a precis of Conrad, eh?

Re-reading Lee Childs PERSONAL book (Jack Reacher)
Also on the go is: 'White Line Fever' about Lemmy from Motorhead
Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 07.58.07.png

Just finished "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts. Quite the Tome at 936 pages, and worth every page of it. One of the best books I've ever read -- not exactly sure what that means, as there are lots and lots of books that qualify as among the best I've ever read.
I like this review blurb from the back dust jacket:
"If someone asked me what the book was about, I would have to say everything, every thing in the world."
Of course, that's not true, except that it is. The book describes quite an arc. Highly recommended.
Side note: At times, while living in India, the protagonist gets around on an Enfield Bullet.

Just finished "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts. Quite the Tome at 936 pages, and worth every page of it. One of the best books I've ever read -- not exactly sure what that means, as there are lots and lots of books that qualify as among the best I've ever read.
I like this review blurb from the back dust jacket:
"If someone asked me what the book was about, I would have to say everything, every thing in the world."
Of course, that's not true, except that it is. The book describes quite an arc. Highly recommended.
Side note: At times, while living in India, the protagonist gets around on an Enfield Bullet.
Reserved at the local library system, there's a long line, but I'm patient, the kind of patient I am, is an open debate....

Actually, I'm proofing the first draft of the memoirs of an acquaintance of mine that is a Viet Nam vet. Joined the Army @ 17 to get away from a dysfunctional family and alcoholic father, progressed from an 11Bravo grunt to a Huey door gunner to a Huey crew chief.

Actually, I'm proofing the first draft of the memoirs of an acquaintance of mine that is a Viet Nam vet. Joined the Army @ 17 to get away from a dysfunctional family and alcoholic father, progressed from an 11Bravo grunt to a Huey door gunner to a Huey crew chief.

I’d read that book! 😃
A young guy that lived a couple houses down the street from me during Nam was a door gunner. He liked it so much he re upped after his first tour. He sure used to tell some interesting stories. Another guy on my street flew Hueys in Viet Nam, and my next door neighbor was an F-4 Phantom pilot at Luke AFB , he and his family…..and super cute daughter :sneaky:, moved when he left for Nam.
That war was a very big presence in all of our lives back then. I find all those stories very interesting.

Unfortunately my friend, for a variety of reasons, wound up going down the same path as his father. His childhood, his experiences in Viet Nam, drug and alcohol abuse, some prison time and PTSD seriously messed up his life. He's in his late 70's and while he's been clean and sober for 30 years, he's still dealing with the trauma. This book is helping him deal.

I'm honored that he chose me to help him with it. He's trying to find a way to get it published.

Still unwrapping my golden age sf, after the move, up to 85kg shelved at this point
Keep getting stuck, currently done the Asimov Foundation stuff and on to David Brin
Permanent bedside book is "Ringolevio" for when I take myself too seriously.

"I Hear You Paint Houses"... a sympathetic biography of the fella wot did Hoffa...probably.
Sheeran was in real combat continuously for a very long time... in a way it's a Marxist story, the environment making the boy into the man, and accidents too...and the goodfellas of the mob. Sheeran would have been nice man to meet and know from a distance. Massive PTSD and coping. Stuff happens. Most choice is situational...

Next up? "Collapse of Antiquity" (Hudson) > "It describes how the dynamics of interest-bearing debt led to the rise of rentier oligarchies in classical Greece and Rome. This caused economic polarization, widespread austerity, revolts, wars and ultimately the collapse of Rome into serfdom and feudalism..." (which may seem familiar these days...)

'Stranger in a Strange Land - Encounters in the Disunited States' by Gary Younge. Younge brings well-honed journalistic skills in researching facts and debunking myths to his encounters plus a unique racial perspective. Based in Brooklyn as the Guardian's N America correspondent, he is of Bajan ancestry but was born and grew up in working class Stevenage north of London.

Well written with an interesting and even-handed treatment of many 21st century issues.

I found a copy of this at the thrift store recently. So far it appears to just be a novelization of the film script, nothing extra.
Only slightly more comprehensible than the actual film.
Also out of print and apparently worth much more than the quarter I paid for it.

Attachments

• zardozbook.jpg
    zardozbook.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 44
A mate read this; claims its one of the best ever travel books. He then gave it to me; I've just started to read it.

on the meter.PNG

onm2.PNG

"AT 12 Mr. Bing Was Shot" by Dudley Pope British naval history about the potential pitfalls of service there in.
Similar in subject to "Scapegoats Of The Empire"

0385534264.01.S001.JUMBOXXX.jpg

A few weeks ago I finished the newly published "The Wager." A true story. A fascinating and fairly easy read. Makes me want to re-read all of the great wooden sailing ship books I read as a boy.

L1400.jpg

Right now, I'm in the middle of "Carter Beats the Devil." A light, very enjoyable book with a terrible title and terrible cover art. About performance magic in the time of Houdini, when magic was huge.

View attachment 249760
Kinda dry, gets a bit repetitive but might help you keep "green claims" vs reality straight.
I'd heard the name, but never really knew who Noam Chomsky is. Then I saw the video version of "Requiem for the American Dream" (which is available on YouTube). It focuses on the concentration of wealth and power, and resultant income inequality in United States over the past forty years, in other words, everything that is wrong with the world. He is one smart guy.

Back