What does your wife say about your hobby?

My wife (50 years married next year) supports all my car and bike hobbies. I did really fuck up many years ago - I had a modified Cortina GT and had just washed it ( I was a fanatic - it was out of control and a genuine problem) and wouldnt let her use it to go and visit her Mum in hospital. Some of my cars have been modified to the point of being almost unusable, but she has put up with it. One day I was putting a new V8 in my car and her job was to look after fitting the bolts for the bonnet - when she grabbed the 9/16 spanner and proceeded to put the 4 bolts in, my mate looked at me with astonishment and said "what a woman". We have a system where we have our own spending money - when I wanted another Ducati, but couldnt afford it, she said she would buy it for me and when I had made up my mind which bikes I wanted to keep, I could pay it back. Good news - the being a "fanatic" thing has changed for the better over the years - it can get out of control - none of my cars or bikes are used/needed on a family basis - we have a family car for that. What a woman.

Wife asked me to ride her new bike home today from the dealership ,RE 350 meteor , rush hour , 4klm on the clock, wax on the tyres and intermittent rain with warnings about damage. Made it home in one piece, she poured me a drink and helped me remove the head and cylinders off the xs.
20220121_183408.jpg
20220121_182951.jpg

Wife asked me to ride her new bike home today from the dealership ,RE 350 meteor , rush hour , 4klm on the clock, wax on the tyres and intermittent rain with warnings about damage. Made it home in one piece, she poured me a drink and helped me remove the head and cylinders off the xs.View attachment 205826View attachment 205827
I volunteer at a motorcycle shop one day a week and I pre-deliver and service the RE 350's. I find them very comfortable and easy to ride. Unpacked one the other day and it was painted in a powder blue, gunmetal and white graphics - looked good. Hope your wife loves it.
Regards Ray.

My wife bought my first bike 42 years ago before we were married and has since even paid for her sidecar side of our Royal Enfield outfit.
She knows where I am in the shed, not at the pub or club. She has always supported anything I have wanted to pursue.
She is a keeper.

My garage, and now my new shop, are "Nasty, stinky, dirty and repulsive." (So Plan A is working...)

She doesn't know a screwdriver from a wood chisel. No, really. I caught her using one of my wood chisels to tighten the handles on cabinet doors in the kitchen. That was years ago, I put a basic selection of tools in a drawer in the kitchen and forbade her touching anything else.

She bitches about the money from time to time, but in general if it keeps me happy, home and out of her hair, she's good with it.
My wife is the same.

I too gave up smoking, 25 years ago, I kept the wife though. The giving up smoking thing didn't work though: Diagnosed with lung cancer four years ago, so the right lung was removed. That didn't help either, it came back 18 months later, so I underwent chemo and radio. But still it didn't help, it came back again 18 months later, underwent more aggressive radio. Won't know the results for a while. History says it'll come back again, but I can't have any more radio, so when it it comes back for the fourth time it'll be immunotherapy, After that it's goodnight' Dick! I won't be taking the wife with me though, I've heard it gets pretty hot down there, she doesn't like hot climates.

Last edited:
I too gave up smoking, 25 years ago, I kept the wife though. The giving up smoking thing didn't work though: Diagnosed with lung cancer four years ago, so the right lung was removed. That didn't help either, it came back 18 months later, so I underwent chemo and radio. But still it didn't help, it came back again 18 months later, underwent more aggressive radio. Won't know the results for a while. History says it'll come back again, but I can't have any more radio, so when it it comes back for the fourth time it'll be immunotherapy, After that it's goodnight' Dick! I won't be taking the wife with me though, I've heard it gets pretty hot down there, she doesn't like hot climates.
People win against it. I've met some of them. I believe you can too.

Wife asked me to ride her new bike home today from the dealership ,RE 350 meteor , rush hour , 4klm on the clock, wax on the tyres and intermittent rain with warnings about damage. Made it home in one piece, she poured me a drink and helped me remove the head and cylinders off the xs.View attachment 205826View attachment 205827
That RE is a sharp looking bike. I know it’s new but what’s the build quality look like?

I just read an article entitled “ What to do when hobbies steal your spouse.” Hoo boy there are a lot of angry, resentful women out there! 😳 If it’s not cars, it’s golf, or watching too much sports etc. , and believe it or not, for the younger generation video games:umm:. A lot of women are apparently feeling ignored and neglected and resent the money spent on hobbies.

https://www.symbis.com/blog/hobbies-steal-spouse/

I just read an article entitled “ What to do when hobbies steal your spouse.” Hoo boy there are a lot of angry, resentful women out there! 😳 If it’s not cars, it’s golf, or watching too much sports etc. , and believe it or not, for the younger generation video games:umm:. A lot of women are apparently feeling ignored and neglected and resent the money spent on hobbies.

https://www.symbis.com/blog/hobbies-steal-spouse/
I can certainly understand it.

My wife's ok with what I do as far as hobbies go in fact I just sold almost all my hand crank phonographs and an old 1946 slot machine and a ton of other things I had accumulated over the years ( I had pretty much got bored with them)
So motorcycles are fine with her a little bit here and there of parts and tools It beats spending the money hanging around in bars (my friends just come here and drink my beer now )
She told me you can't retire until you put up your own shop and I did with money I had squirreled away for years
Plus I can ride my new hobby projects :shrug:

That RE is a sharp looking bike. I know it’s new but what’s the build quality look like?
When looking closely the wife noticed the rear mudguard/ number plate holder is off center and the routing of cables and brake lines could be neater but overall it's a tidy bike, great in heavy traffic but don't get one if you want a sports bike. Running it in so max speed up to 500 klms is 70 klm per hour, 500 to 2000klms is 80klm speed limit. Wife loves it, took her out riding yesterday in the pouring rain.
20220126_110641.jpg
20220126_110659.jpg

Back