What have I gotten myself into? XS650 With IgniTech Ignition

fenbrancis

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just purchase a second 1982 XS650 Heritage Special to add to my collection because what is better than one XS? TWO.

I snagged this thing for pretty cheap and in decent condition. It starts right up first kick no issue. It has some ugliness to it when it idles but from the riding I have done so far, it is snappy and quick.

The previous owner replaced the stock exhaust with high flow (unsure of brand), pod filters, and.... ditched the stock ignition box. He replaced it with a IgniTech TCIP4 V96. I am unsure of jetting as I just got it home. The first thing I checked when I got home was the ignition timing and bam. At idle its WELL advanced. Its in the middle bottom of the rotor at cover, no where near the firing mark. So I would make an educated guessthis is why this thing is not the best at idle.

After reading around on this forum there doesn't seem to be much information on this IgniTech for XS650s. My main questions here are:

I have a stock ignition module, am I better off going that route or maybe even the GONZO? (I have gone the gonzo route and seemed to do well)

Has anyone had success with the IgniTech?

And a really dumb one, does the IgniTech only work on a rephased motor? If so, how can I tell if my motor has been rephased? AND if it has been rephased, can you still use a stock ignition module?

Easiest way to tell if it's been re-phased is to put it a TDC using the marks on the stater and rotor. Look in the spark plug holes. If both pistons are at the top it is normal. If one is at the top and the other part way down it's been re-phased.

Easiest way to tell if it's been re-phased is to put it a TDC using the marks on the stater and rotor. Look in the spark plug holes. If both pistons are at the top it is normal. If one is at the top and the other part way down it's been re-phased.
Ah nice, didnt even think of this! Will take a look at that

There are a range of Ignitech ignitions they are all highly tunable to suit an engine configuration. I have no hands on experience with them but will be using one on my next project., so cant offer any real useful advice.

Assuming that the timing is definitely off and you are not reading from a rephased cylinder to a set of stock timing marks on a rephased motor.

If you have a stock motor it it will take some time to learn how to tune the software to suit your bike and you may be better off time wise to use the stock ignition box you have.

My engine isn’t rephased.

Stock ignition makes this baby BARK. So I’ve got a running XS and one waiting on throttle shaft seals and a gonzo ignition.

Hi Fenb. finally some one on ere taking on the challenge of Ignitech, i have been reading endlessly trying to understand / apply to my project, but a couple of questions for you, first do you have a program loaded on a laptop to check the set up of the advance mapping ? are you running a rephased crank, do you know the CC or bore size (stock or 750etc) ? One thing i have discovered is that the programming from Ignitech is likely to be high on initial advance as well as the starting point of the curve, ideally if some one has a graph of the stock ignition curve maybe the could post it as a baseline comparison.

if some one has a graph of the stock ignition curve maybe the could post it as a baseline comparison.
XS1B-IgnitionCurve.jpg

Stock timing is shown in black: 16*, advancing to ~40* @3200rpm. The red is modified, slightly retarded scenario

Hi Fenb. finally some one on ere taking on the challenge of Ignitech, i have been reading endlessly trying to understand / apply to my project, but a couple of questions for you, first do you have a program loaded on a laptop to check the set up of the advance mapping ? are you running a rephased crank, do you know the CC or bore size (stock or 750etc) ? One thing i have discovered is that the programming from Ignitech is likely to be high on initial advance as well as the starting point of the curve, ideally if some one has a graph of the stock ignition curve maybe the could post it as a baseline comparison.
I have Ignitech, and original crank. First test was pma flywheel with custom timing mark. It worked but pickup coil didn't fit under engine cover. Maybe do able, but I didn't want customize cover... now I have cam timing parts from HPI-Ignition. Ignitech programming and wiring is very easy, just set timing curve and that's it. Biggest problem is where you put pickup.

Back