1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by I am Carbon, Nov 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

20210430_191054.jpg
    2 Out Of Six Holes Too Shallow!
    Brand new repop hub. I will have to shorten one sprocket bolt by about 3/16th and the other by just a whisper. Dang!
    The more skilled machinists out there will say just run a bottom tap in there. Shortening a couple bolts and getting them to thread correctly is challenge enough for me.

2. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

Not a big issue in the scheme of things...........Just another manufacturing snafu.

Have you told Mike L aka 650trader.

3. gggGary

gggGary When a whole one is just too much. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

?????????????????

Paul Sutton and Greyandridin like this.
  4. lakeview

True, I just trim a couple bolts so it's not a big deal. But one would hope that I would not have to fix an expensive new item before it can be used.
    I just discovered this before I wrapped up for the day, so had not considered writing a letter to the seller. Might do that.

5. gggGary

gggGary When a whole one is just too much. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Trying to get WJL ready for the Ozarks trip.
    Today plugs out, compression tested, 152/155
    noticed oil at rear of head gasket so did a full head retorque (it needed it) attached windshield, Garmin GPS, Siligrips, more baggage, Rode a bit, came back, changed, tightened, adjusted. Started piling up the gear, tools, and "stuff" for a week on the road.
    received_309867403852656.jpeg

6. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

Have a couple of used Virago rotors so decided to have a go at refacing them. Put together a rig with my small angle grinder and off I went:
    Setup.JPG

Before Photo:
    Start.JPG

After Photo:
    Finish.JPG

Took about 15 minutes per side. The result looked good on the micrometer so they have been packaged and filed away. The trick is to take your time and always keep the rotor spinning when the grinder is at work.

Where would we be without zip ties?

Raymond, Mailman, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  7. bosco659

bosco659 XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Nice DYI set up. We’re you attempting to grind off grooves in the rotor face or just “condition” it for new pads?

Paul Sutton likes this.
  8. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

The rotors had some bad wear marks so I just wanted to clean them up for emergency use, perhaps 10 years from now???? Seemed a pity to just dump them without playing with them first. The rotor in the photos was the best one. The other rotor took about 2 hours to sort out.

timbeck and Mailman like this.
  9. WideAWAKE

WideAWAKE Single Fins and Twin Cylinders

have you checked the run out on the rims??

they weren’t cheap, I like you, would expect them to be in top notch shape.

I’ve purchased a complete wheel assembly before and it need a fair bit of adjustment to get it true.

Paul Sutton likes this.
  10. lakeview

Never thought about checking run out....
    Unwarranted assumptions may have been made.

Paul Sutton likes this.
  11. lakeview

"have you checked the run out on the rims??"
    I just spoke with the tech that installed the tires and he said that he checked the rims for true and run out before he put the tires on.
    They were good.

Mailman and Paul Sutton like this.
  12. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

On the TX500 hub I renovated, the sprocket bolt holes and their threading go all the way through the carrier .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You may want to pull your carrier out and check yours. Maybe all you need is a suitable tap to finish tapping the holes all the way through. Be aware that the bolts are a fine thread. Cleaning the threads up after shortening one may be difficult.

Paul Sutton likes this.
  13. lakeview

The new rim does not have steel inserts for the sprocket carrier bolt holes. The sprocket was installed with copper antiseize on the bolts and I am calling it good. I will watch the bolts for signs of loosening once it goes into service.

14. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Fashionably sensitive, but too cool to care.

Adjusted cam chain tension real quick before going to an appointment. Wanted to do valve clearances today too, but my appointment ran late. Can I reuse tappet cover gaskets? I don't have any on hand.

15. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Yes, rubber O rings

spacetiger110 likes this.
  16. WideAWAKE

WideAWAKE Single Fins and Twin Cylinders

Good to hear. - before I built my last few sets of wheels out of curiosity I called the local Yamaha dealer in town to get a price on lacing and truing a rim. $350 a rim!!! Ouch!!!! - I didn’t even pay that much for the bike they were going on haha.

17. aldo5468

aldo5468 Redleg XS650.com Supporter

Replaced the OEM black plastic cover with this machined aluminum one - just a bit of bling!

Attached Files:

Mailman likes this.