What have you done to your XS today?

On later alloy parts, probably '75 and newer, yes, they are clear coated, earlier may not be. I know the TX750 wheels ('73 or '74) I cleaned up weren't coated, but every 650 one I've encountered has been. No big deal really, just use paint stripper on them 1st to remove the coating.

On later alloy parts, probably '75 and newer, yes, they are clear coated, earlier may not be. I know the TX750 wheels ('73 or '74) I cleaned up weren't coated, but every 650 one I've encountered has been. No big deal really, just use paint stripper on them 1st to remove the coating.
Will the paint stripper take the black finish off too?

Yes, the stripper would probably take the black off. That's right, you're dealing with mags. I was talking about the alloy spoke drum wheels. Rim, drum brake plate, and polished areas of the hub are clear coated. When polishing them, it saves a lot of work if you strip the clear coat off first.

It's a 1964 Star that I built up out of 6 boxes of bits. Not very correct as I've fitted a 68 front end with twin leading shoe brake & alloy rims. Some other bits off different models, but I like how it's coming together. Currently waiting on paintwork to be done.
bsaa65.jpg

+1 on that factory mag paint being tough. I’ve painted a couple sets and agree that just scuffing, cleaning and painting is the way to go. The set I stripped took about 4 go’s with and industrial paint stripper followed with additional hand sanding. NOT FUN. You can see my second attempt in this thread.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/mag-wheel-refurbish.52952/

+1 on that factory mag paint being tough. I’ve painted a couple sets and agree that just scuffing, cleaning and painting is the way to go. The set I stripped took about 4 go’s with and industrial paint stripper followed with additional hand sanding. NOT FUN. You can see my second attempt in this thread.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/mag-wheel-refurbish.52952/
Your wheels looked great when finished! Your hard work paid off for sure. I don’t think I have enough elbow grease left in me to go as far as you did. Lol. The nice thing about satin black paint is it covers a lot of imperfections, so perhaps a good cleaning, light sanding and a rattle can will give me something that looks good from 25ft away, but that’s still springtime work.

Your wheels looked great when finished! Your hard work paid off for sure. I don’t think I have enough elbow grease left in me to go as far as you did. Lol. The nice thing about satin black paint is it covers a lot of imperfections, so perhaps a good cleaning, light sanding and a rattle can will give me something that looks good from 25ft away, but that’s still springtime work.
I degreased them & then hit them with the pressure washer, then painted them with satin black enamel with a brush.👍

I bought a engine stethoscope on the way home from work to help pinpoint the top end rattle. Being a deaf Oldfart makes it difficult but it seemed a touch noisier in behind the oil feed pipe so I removed the sump plate with the oil filter attached and didn't find any pieces of black plastic from the front cam chain guide but as others have said it could still be in one piece. I then poured the oil through a fine strainer and found three small pieces in the mesh and quite a few filings in the bottom of the oil pan. The largest piece of alloy is about 10mm x 5mm wide and 3mm thick and has sheared off something ?? The next largest piece is actually a piece of thread, not off a bolt but from a hole a bolt went into??. Any ideas where they are from ?. Here are some pictures of the pieces found.
20220119_171408.jpg
20220119_172455.jpg
20220119_171539.jpg

Clean and paint over the black is what I did and it has held up fine for several years. Yes, I used a rattle can.
This might sound crazy but I paint my frame all the time with rustoleum high gloss black using a small foam brush. My bike spent it first 39 years driving on gravel roads. Chips everywhere. Now you can’t even tell. Every winter I touch it up.

I bought a engine stethoscope on the way home from work to help pinpoint the top end rattle. Being a deaf Oldfart makes it difficult but it seemed a touch noisier in behind the oil feed pipe so I removed the sump plate with the oil filter attached and didn't find any pieces of black plastic from the front cam chain guide but as others have said it could still be in one piece. I then poured the oil through a fine strainer and found three small pieces in the mesh and quite a few filings in the bottom of the oil pan. The largest piece of alloy is about 10mm x 5mm wide and 3mm thick and has sheared off something ?? The next largest piece is actually a piece of thread, not off a bolt but from a hole a bolt went into??. Any ideas where they are from ?. Here are some pictures of the pieces found. View attachment 205657View attachment 205655View attachment 205656

You may have to open this one up.

First thought is to check your rockers and tappet adjusters
Good idea, that could be where the piece of thread came from and the alloy has been smashed off the head somewhere?. I did adjust the tappets recently and all seemed ok and the rattle was already present. Can't think where that thread has come from.

Removed the rocker covers and all is as it should be, no sign of any damage to the cam , tappets or the valves. I then removed the clutch cover and clutch basket and found nothing amiss so I have removed the engine from the frame and have it sitting on the work bench. Plan on taking the head off tomorrow after work to try and find the fault. Any things to avoid or things to look out for when I split the cases to remedy it jumping out of 2nd gear which I have put up with for many years.

Back