What have you done to your XS today?

I have a new front brake MC, new 1 piece brake line and I am ready to jettison the old parts. Is draining the brake fluid through the bleeder the cleanest way before disassembly? I want to minimize mess and the possibility of getting brake fluid on painted parts.

I have a new front brake MC, new 1 piece brake line and I am ready to jettison the old parts. Is draining the brake fluid through the bleeder the cleanest way before disassembly? I want to minimize mess and the possibility of getting brake fluid on painted parts.
It works if you use a MityVac to draw the fluid out. Maybe this will do it. Click here.

Bleeder with a piece clear fuel line hose. Slowly pump out of system into a jar. Or get yourself a bleeder pump. I love mine, it made the antilock brake bleeding a breeze on my BMW. Most auto parts stores should have them.

Last edited:
It works if you use a MityVac to draw the fluid out. Maybe this will do it. Click here.

Bleeder with a piece clear fuel line hose. Slowly pump out of system into a jar. Or get yourself a bleeder pump. I love mine, it made the antilock brake bleeding a breeze on my BMW. Most auto parts stores should have them.
I have a vac pump. I attach it to the bleeder, Crack the bleeder open and draw out the fluid. Does this eliminate most of the mess?

I have a vac pump. I attach it to the bleeder, Crack the bleeder open and draw out the fluid. Does this eliminate most of the mess?
Yes, if you're drawing the fluid into a bottle. Draw it into the pump, you'll ruin it.

1643166092324.png

Yes, if you're drawing the fluid into a bottle. Draw it into the pump, you'll ruin it.

View attachment 206273
I set the MC as level as possible and remove the cap/cover?

Work has been all virtual meetings this week, so ive had a lot of time to work in the garage while listening in.
Today i decided to do away with my primed gas tank and wire wheeled the whole thing then clear coated it. I also had time to mock up some number plates to help hide wires and add a cool look to the bike. I plan to make them with diamond plate and use hose clamps to fasten them

Attachments

• IMG_5717.jpg
    IMG_5717.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5718.jpg
    IMG_5718.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 55
Overhauled the vm34s and replaced the 6DH4 needles with the 6F9 ,changed the pilots from 30 to 20 and mains from 185 to 180 so they are ready when I get the crankshaft and cylinders done. Spent a few hours cleaning the crankshaft cases mating surfaces and ordered some hondabond 4 that Hughs handbuilt recommends for rejoining the cases and I will try 5twins advice on applying with a cut down brush.

Today i decided to do away with my primed gas tank and wire wheeled the whole thing then clear coated it. I also had time to mock up some number plates to help hide wires and add a cool look to the bike. I plan to make them with diamond plate and use hose clamps to fasten them
I like the bare metal look. The tank I had on my 650 before was like that. I hope you used a clear that was resistant to fuel.

Attachments

• XS650 tank.JPG
    XS650 tank.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 54
Like downeaster dragged this in for a shacky wacky project idea.
KIMG0411.JPG
While it was on the bench scraped off some carbon.
2022-01-2710.01.265614615312529092729.jpg

The story is billy bob cut the camchain on a 1000 mile 72 motor cuz the head gasket was leaking. Top cover is still bolted to head .. I have the whole motor out in the shed .

Like downeaster dragged this in for a shacky wacky project idea.
View attachment 206347
While it was on the bench scraped off some carbon.
View attachment 206346
The story is billy bob cut the camchain on a 1000 mile 72 motor cuz the head gasket was leaking. Top cover is still bolted to head .. I have the whole motor out in the shed .
1643302482432.png

Snagged off fleabay. See where this is going?

Back