What have you done to your XS today?

The last few days I had become transfixed, fascinated, at the basic design of 'Beauty'. Maybe it has something to do with a fetish for ankles, IDK? So today it was finally warm enough to comfortably stay outdoors, and I proceeded to remove all four footpegs, the front and rear on each side. After inspecting them, the rubber bushings were good, the flat washers good, but both the lockwashers had a small ferrule of metal peeled back. These had made the removal of the castlenuts more difficult than they should have been, so I was able to take a screwdriver and peel the ferrules all the way off. After diligently wiping down all the parts, I returned them to their location and tightened them up with my 17mm socket. I know it sounds simple for the experienced mechanics in the clubhouse, but for me, the familiarity was a beginner's lesson more practical than removing the carbs, first go. Just beginning to dig in.
'TT'

returned them to their location and tightened them up with my 17mm socket. I know it sounds simple for the experienced mechanics in the clubhouse, but for me, the familiarity was a beginner's lesson more practical than removing the carbs, first go. Just beginning to dig in.
Every time you lay your hands on, gives you confidence using tools, increases the connection you have with the bike, improves your understanding, makes it your bike.

View attachment 212297
First Start Today!!
This '73 originated with Robin, then stopped with Total Fool for a while, then came to me. I had the tins painted BC (before covid) and only this spring was it ready for timing etc. Total Fool and MaxPete spent an afternoon with me on it a few weeks ago but we had no luck getting it to run.
So I bought a proper battery for it instead of using my jump/power pack and went through the all the grounds on it adding, amongst others, a direct ground from the frame under the seat to the battery. (thanks GLJ).
Installed my cleanest pair of non resistor plugs and it fired immediately without changing any settings done the day I had help.
Really pleased about it, parts of my wiring review also produced working horn and direction lights.
Lots of tidying up to do of course, more pictures will follow.
Ya gotta love when the plan comes together:cheers:

TT, if you don't have any, you should invest in some anti-seize and apply it to any nuts and bolt threads you remove. Eventually, you'll end up doing practically every fastener on the bike. This stuff comes in basically two forms, nickel based that is silver in color and copper based that is copper colored. I prefer and use the copper based stuff, mainly because it's easier to see on the threads. I got my first can many, many years ago from a local "scratch and dent" store for like $5. It was C5-A, made by Fel-Pro, and is still my favorite to this day .....

C5-A.jpg

It's still available but now it's made by Loctite .....

https://www.amazon.com/SEPTLS44251144-Loctite-C5-Anti-Seize-Lubricant/dp/B001HWBSMO

The cans I've gotten are like paint cans so not easy to quickly access. So, I transfer the stuff to small containers and also make up little brushes to apply it. The stuff is messy, hence the containers for the brushes. You just want to "paint" a thin coating on the threads .....

C5-ABrush-2.jpg

And for the front footpeg rubber mounts, I apply my new favorite rubber lube, red rubber grease. This allows them to slide on and off easily, even after being mounted for some time. When I used to go to remove them, I would always find them stuck, even though I had used silicone spray when installing them. This red rubber grease works well and lasts much better and longer.

Oh, and being copper based, I figure it should promote electrical connectivity, so I slather it all over my ground wire terminals .....

View attachment 212376
5T, Where do you find red rubber grease? I see stuff on the net that’s called red grease and some insanely priced stuff that is actually called Red Rubber Grease. I’ve heard you talk about this many times and wanted to get some but am too cheap to pay $25-$30 for a small container of the stuff.

Edit. My bad. $39 plus tax. Yikes😳

84C928D0-EAA9-499F-97C7-48F64C7DECBF.png

Thanks for the heads-up @5twins. I could have used some today. On my journey to familiarizing myself with 'Beauty' after wiping down the pollen on the Bullet I started staring at the XS horn. It wasn't long before I had my 11 mm socket out for the bracket, disconnected the red wire on the right and the brown wire on the left and inspected the horn. The horn attachment to the bracket was 10 mm and wouldn't budge, so I did not force it. I am a bit dissatisfied with myself because I refused to return to my room for WD-40 and a piece of sandpaper, both desperately needed. I repositioned the bracket for the horn wire on reattaching the horn and as the clouds rolled in, I recovered 'Beauty' and came inside.
Every time you lay your hands on, gives you confidence using tools, increases the connection you have with the bike, improves your understanding, makes it your bike.
I have to thoroughly agree with this. I get a deep sense of wellness and ownership and will verify sometimes it is the small things that make a difference, such as that wire-bracket for the horn. I will return with WD-40 on another day.
'TT'

20220421_163506-1.jpg

Solution to High Beam Indicator Light
(Showing my spare headlight, not the shiny one)
This bike came with only the lens and no socket and the whole assembly is of course NLA, but the fix was simple. Down to my local CarQuest and asked for a 12 mm indicator light and presto, only 6 bucks tax in! The hole has to be opened just a touch.
Will now have to parse the wiring diagram to see what supplies the juice for it.

Pulled together all the MotoGadget kit together with the wiring loom and other stuff from Cognito and Revival that I bought last summer.....
......then sh*t my pants wondering what to do with it.....Yikes!

My new rear wheel is still three weeks away from the builder, so maybe I should make a start on the sparks. Wish me luck. :devil:

Pulled together all the MotoGadget kit together with the wiring loom and other stuff from Cognito and Revival that I bought last summer.....
......then sh*t my pants wondering what to do with it.....Yikes!

My new rear wheel is still three weeks away from the builder, so maybe I should make a start on the sparks. Wish me luck. :devil:
Since we are going to be running the same equipment I'm looking forward to..ehhhh..learning from your struggle. Haha. Good luck!

Bugger me JesseeS I were waitin’ on you being the guide old boy.
Oh well we will have to rummage through this together. :umm:
I forget where or if you mentioned it but are you going to be running the m button? I'm going with clip ons and may do that so only 2 wires come out vs 6ish

Back