What have you done to your XS today?

20220422_155001-1.jpg

Harley Chrome!
Original exhaust system is really rough, so pressing my last set of Sporty mufflers into service.
I like the lighter more streamlined look.

MAC pipes from the States. Wanted something that looked sort of close to the O/E pipes.
The OE "Special" pipes had a gradual radius. These pipe look more like the standard pipes with the tighter radius, a straight down section, then radius back next to the frame... I really love that look that you have with those pipes...

Well, got it fired up today but seem to have an issue with the Boyer system. Fires up fine, warm it up to check the timing & it cuts out dead. No spark at all from both cylinders until it cools down after about an hour. If I wait 15 minutes it'll fire up & cut out after a few seconds. Cranking over by hand there is nothing until it's a bit cooler & if it sparks it does so continually on one plug with an increasing rate. 12.83V at battery & checked all connections. Has the blue box decided it's had enough? This bike was in boxes when I purchased it so I don't know if it was OK.
Anyone had a problem like this?

I forget where or if you mentioned it but are you going to be running the m button? I'm going with clip ons and may do that so only 2 wires come out vs 6ish
Yes I did get the M-Button, no idea how it works but it seemed a good idea!

Well, got it fired up today but seem to have an issue with the Boyer system. Fires up fine, warm it up to check the timing & it cuts out dead. No spark at all from both cylinders until it cools down after about an hour. If I wait 15 minutes it'll fire up & cut out after a few seconds. Cranking over by hand there is nothing until it's a bit cooler & if it sparks it does so continually on one plug with an increasing rate. 12.83V at battery & checked all connections. Has the blue box decided it's had enough? This bike was in boxes when I purchased it so I don't know if it was OK.
I've had Boyer on four or five bikes and never experienced a problem like that. Or indeed any problems. But the guys at Boyer-Bransden tend to give very good after-sales support so even if you didn't buy the kit yourself it's worth sending them an email - help@boyerbransden.com

Afterthought - are you running resistor plug caps? I changed the plug caps on Miss November and ran into a problem after 5 miles, bike stopped. Started again soon after. Read all about it, here and the two or three posts before and after:

https://www.xs650.com/threads/miss-november-xs2-tribute.55057/post-702362

The problem was Boyer related, but was my own fault for fitting wrong type of caps.

Afterthought - are you running resistor plug caps? I changed the plug caps on Miss November and ran into a problem after 5 miles, bike stopped. Started again soon after. Read all about it, here and the two or three posts before and after:

https://www.xs650.com/threads/miss-november-xs2-tribute.55057/post-702362

The problem was Boyer related, but was my own fault for fitting wrong type of caps.
Resistor caps & NGK B7"s. Got a couple of things to try tomorrow. Possible engine-frame earthing issue. Testing blue box for operation.

All sorted! Repositioned the Boyer box earth & checked all other connections & that was it. Set the timing & carbs & a few more tidy up jobs & it'll be ready for a ride.

Attachments

• xsnearly.jpg
    xsnearly.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Back