What have you done to your XS today?

20220626_182601.jpg
At the Paris Swap Meet, I bought a TCI motor. Today I installed it in a '74 frame. It's got clean oil in it, and not too much swarf on the side filter. Now to get some minimal wiring on it and see if this pig in a poke has some value.

After a longer ride today, an hour and a half rather than 30 or so minutes, I stopped to press the garage remote and saw smoke near the pods. I rolled into garage and shut it off. Still smoke. Here where you start having a decision nightmare. Spend time getting the bike out of the garage, get mommy's Mustang out of the garage or grab the fire extinguisher. There is an aweful lot of powder in a little 3 lb extinguisher
20220627_131613.jpg

Well that sucks. I'd have saved the 66 Mustang. Love the silver blue color. I have a '65 restomod that color
The color is a stock "Tahoo Turquise" BUT I think the paint mix came out just a little off. Birthday present to my wife in 1991 with a dent in every body panel. We spent a year fixing it up.

After a longer ride today, an hour and a half rather than 30 or so minutes, I stopped to press the garage remote and saw smoke near the pods. I rolled into garage and shut it off. Still smoke. Here where you start having a decision nightmare. Spend time getting the bike out of the garage, get mommy's Mustang out of the garage or grab the fire extinguisher. There is an aweful lot of powder in a little 3 lb extinguisherView attachment 217439
Any idea what caused it? How much damage? I really hate that, I like your bike a lot.

20220628_154342.jpg20220628_155932.jpg
The No History Motor Shows Promise
Swap meet motor from the Rally tests out a lot better than it looks.The starter spins over strong and does not have the usual #4 gear clash. BS34 carbs it came with will take a little cleaning but they are not filled with treacle.
Onward!

Well, I picked up a '76 last fall and now after I've got my '80's oil changed, paper filter upgrade, LED headlight upgraded, and new sprockets and chain done using a 32T rear and 17T (stock) front sprockets, and rear brake free play adjusted, I could start on the '76. I got it on the lift and hooked up a battery and the starter button was stuck and would not operate. Pulled that all apart and cleaned and straightened the little cage the button and spring are housed in and got that to work. Hit the button and the starter just spun. Drained the oil and pulled the right side cover off, hit the button and the starter gear now engages. WTF. Anyway, pulled the clutch apart and found the fiber plates under spec (.115" - .117" - spec is .122" min.) Ordered new plates, new spring bolts, new upgraded thrust bearing, new one-piece pushrod (the old 3-piece one was in backwards), new pushrod seal and new pushrod bushing. Also found spacers and washers were installed in and behind the clutch in the wrong places. No lock tab washer for the nut, so I ordered that too.

I'm in the house eating lunch right now and when I go back out to the garage, the sump cover is coming off and I just KNOW I'll find the intake screen ripped. I also have to get the bolt out for the right filter cover, as it's stripped out right now. The handlebars on it now are ape hangers, so those are coming off and I have handlebars from an XS400 I parted out and scrapped that I'll use. I believe they are the same part. After that, it's time to check the alternator brushes, the points, and pull the carbs for cleaning/rebuild.

Edit 45 min later: I hate to say I told you so, but...
So now I order one - should I pay $48 to Mike'sXS and get it in a few days, or pay $31 on Amazon and get in in freakin' September? $48 it is.

Attachments

• 20220707_174446.jpg
    20220707_174446.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Took wheezie for a nice little 40 mile ride last night during which the speedo guts started spinning as fast as the cable and making a hell of a racket but she ran beautifully. So tonight I take the speedo off and unplug it from inside the bucket now she won't start acts like no spark. What did I burn up? Or do I need a jumper like I did for the side stand switch?

Back