What have you done to your XS today?

My tools tend to be multi purpose and the metal sourced from the scrap bin.
I think this chunk of iron was once a muffler support on a Honda shadow Aero. LOL
The other end of the "handle" has pins used to unthread a Norton Commando front caliper piston access cover.

Last edited:
  • Drained the oil.
  • Extracted a broken alternator stator mounting bolt.
  • Removed points and advance housings from the head (not used with Vape ignition system) and discovered the fancy Heiden Tuning covers don't come with new o-rings and one cover was missing mounting screws. Rrrrrrr.
  • Adjusted timing chain.
  • Adjusted valves.
  • Installed Heiden Tuning primary and secondary oil filter kits. It was a PITA to get the outer cover on the secondary oil filter kit.
  • Fixed kickstart return mechanism. The Clymer manual was useless but I found a good YouTube video.
  • Test fitted Vape ignition rotor and stator
Does anyone know whether the Heiden Tuning primary oil filter (the oil pick-up filter) is a proprietary part or is that cylindrical filter commercially available on its own?

The paper one in right side-cover? I'm pretty sure it's a Honda filter; 15412-HM5-A10

20220908_162738.jpg20220908_163017.jpg
A 7.5 at Twelve Feet!
You've probably seen enough of my 77 with the factory blue tins, so here it is, for s&g, identifying itself as a 76!
Only about 6 weeks of riding left and I have been sitting on these tins for dog's years so thought I would try 'em on for a few weeks.
A change is as good as a rest.

View attachment 224604View attachment 224605
A 7.5 at Twelve Feet!
You've probably seen enough of my 77 with the factory blue tins, so here it is, for s&g, identifying itself as a 76!
Only about 6 weeks of riding left and I have been sitting on these tins for dog's years so thought I would try 'em on for a few weeks.
A change is as good as a rest.
So your bike is a LGBTQI+-SX?

STILL NO SPARKS.....

This goes out to anyone including @jpdevol ; @JesseeS etc... who are / have successfully installed a Moto Gadget M-Unit (Non-Blue).
I have used Revivals Install diagram as a base in conjunction with the XS650-1980 diagram from the Tech Section.

The Tech Diagram shows what I deleted (Red Crosses); the rest of the ignition wiring remains as stock.
XS650 -1980 Wiring Diagram Edit.PNG

The revival Diagram shows a brown wire going from the M-Unit Ignition output to the Coils.
With some wording about Points / CDI & TCI types.

REVIVAL M-UNIT Install.PNG

REVIVAL M-UNIT Ignition Wire.PNG

Wording regarding Ignition Types:

WORDS.PNG

As I understand it the TCI system coils get power from the standard 'IGNITER' (Hitachi Ignition Unit) via the ORANGE & RED/WHITE wires.
So where does the BROWN wire come into play if at all?

I'm obviously missing something.
Ads.

STILL NO SPARKS.....

This goes out to anyone including @jpdevol ; @JesseeS etc... who are / have successfully installed a Moto Gadget M-Unit (Non-Blue).
I have used Revivals Install diagram as a base in conjunction with the XS650-1980 diagram from the Tech Section.

The Tech Diagram shows what I deleted (Red Crosses); the rest of the ignition wiring remains as stock.
View attachment 224651

The revival Diagram shows a brown wire going from the M-Unit Ignition output to the Coils.
With some wording about Points / CDI & TCI types.

View attachment 224652

View attachment 224653

Wording regarding Ignition Types:

View attachment 224654
As I understand it the TCI system coils get power from the standard 'IGNITER' (Hitachi Ignition Unit) via the ORANGE & RED/WHITE wires.
So where does the BROWN wire come into play if at all?

I'm obviously missing something.
Ads.
So positive from "Ignition Out" goes to coil positive, TCI, etc. (formerly the R/W circuit). If stock loom is in place it is the R/W from the original fuse box that then goes through stock kill Sw.(series) then coils then on to TCI (both parallel). The ground side of Ign comes from TCI orange wire to coils and TCI black wire to earth. Then there are pick-up wires to TCI, but likely still stock?

Attachments

• XS650SG IGN.pdf
    61.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
20220909_185924.jpg
Tomorrow's Hazardous Waste Collection Day
So I busied myself today cleaning out this tank for a future use. It's got a bit of a low spot just in front of the seat, not by me, but overall, a solid 7. Love the tiny flake in it.
After soaking it with metal rescue for most of the day, I rinsed it out lots of water, then blew it out with compressed air, then swished it with a gas oil mix. The waste products, but not the metal rescue - it's got a couple more uses left in it, can be disposed of at the transfer station tomorrow, along with a bunch of waste oil and about three gallons of very used parts cleaning solvent.

Last edited:
So positive from "Ignition Out" goes to coil positive, TCI, etc. (formerly the R/W circuit). If stock loom is in place it is the R/W from the original fuse box that then goes through stock kill Sw.(series) then coils then on to TCI (both parallel). The ground side of Ign comes from TCI orange wire to coils and TCI black wire to earth. Then there are pick-up wires to TCI, but likely still stock?
Hi JP, Had to read that through twice to get the drift of it.
4cm of BROWN wire from the M-G Iggy output to the RED/WHITE feed to the Ignition Unit / Coil has given me SPARKS!!!!
spark 2.PNG

I will set up my auxiliary fuel supply to go for a start up later today.
Thanks so much for the heads up. :bow2:
Ads.:devil:

SHE RUNS ,SHE RUNS , SHE RUNS!!!!!!!!

BIKE.jpeg

Bit of fuel in carbs, choke out, key on.... Press start and 🙏 ......... Starts first time on the button.
Warm up briefly and choke in; she sounds fantastic burbling away nicely.
What a relief after months of work and tweaking.

Special thanks to all on the site that offered their time, advice and encouragement; you are all stars.
Ads. :smoke:

View attachment 224745

Bit of fuel in carbs, choke out, key on.... Press start and 🙏 ......... Starts first time on the button.

Special thanks to all on the site that offered their time, advice and encouragement; you are all stars.

Well done Adam, congratulations! 😃

View attachment 224745

Woohoo! Nice work!

View attachment 224745

It's always a magic moment when a fresh build of whatever sort fires/runs/works for the first time! Congratulations!

View attachment 224745

Awesome ride Ads! It'll be a blast to ride.

PS - That's one of the best pics of "spark" ever, I didn't know an old XS was capable of such🤩

I had a spare 15 minutes before going back to work on a house flip two hours away, so I assembled the carbs and reinstalled. It starts now but it only runs on the left side. Before it quit entirely it was only running on the right side. Sigh...
Back to the beginning...

Back