What have you done to your XS today?

New to me swing arm powder coated and installed with new bronze bushings. Wow, that was a bit of a pita putting the arm in, as the grease seals kept falling off. Wrestled it in and greased it up. Lucky me ☹️ - the new grease fitting I installed in the arm was defective so that made a big mess. Thought the swing arm was taking an exceptionally large amount of grease and then I found a handful sized blob under the arm. Lucky I had another fitting. While reinstalling the gear shifter I stripped a 6mm thread in one of the linkages. Fortunately I was well equipped with the correct length helicoil. All buttoned up and ready to ride if the weather guy cooperated. Oh and lowered chain guard too.

IMG_1301.jpeg
IMG_1302.jpeg

New to me swing arm powder coated and installed with new bronze bushings. Wow, that was a bit of a pita putting the arm in, as the grease seals kept falling off. Wrestled it in and greased it up. Lucky me ☹️ - the new grease fitting I installed in the arm was defective so that made a big mess. Thought the swing arm was taking an exceptionally large amount of grease and then I found a handful sized blob under the arm. Lucky I had another fitting. While reinstalling the gear shifter I stripped a 6mm thread in one of the linkages. Fortunately I was well equipped with the correct length helicoil. All buttoned up and ready to ride if the weather guy cooperated. Oh and lowered chain guard too.

View attachment 241523View attachment 241524
That looks great!👍

Finally had enough of the rear wheel losing traction in the rain and put it up on the center stand to remove the wheel when I noticed a fair bit of movement in the swingarm.
After measuring, the frame gap boss to boss is 2mm more than the swingarm width with the thrust covers fitted .
I replaced the bushings previously with the all balls needle bearing kit and remember it was a tight fit so maybe the thrust covers have worn?.
I got a pair of new thrust covers from Geoff's xs and put those on the swingarm and put one of the used cover's over the boss part of the frame on the left side to remove the 2mm gap and then wrestled the swingarm into position.
Tightened up to 35 ft lbs and the swingarm dropped easily so I took it to 45 ft lbs and it slowly dropped under it's own weight.
The Bridgestone tyre was recommended by the tyre shop and can't fault it in dry conditions but definitely the most unsafe wet weather tyre I have ever used so feel much better with the new rubber on it. What's the ideal psi for a 130/90/16 tyre ?,
I had been getting a lot of brake squeeze so I took all three rotors off and cleaned them up with the orbital random sander with 240 grit then 400 grit and got all new pads as well. While the wheel's were off I also replaced the wheel bearings and seals although they seemed ok.
I like to check the frame to assembly clearance. Some times the frame opening is so wide that I feel excessive bending is necessary to grip the sleeve so the rotation occurs between the sleeve and bushing. In those cases I use a shim to take up slack instead of bending the frame which also forces the frame bores "crooked" This clearance varies frame to frame. Many don't need a shim but a few do. This is a separate clearance from the sleeve to bearing end clearance that sometimes is factory shimmed. Fair warning, I am the voice in the wilderness on this one. But I will guess that might be the reason some of the factory bolts have cracked. I have worked on a "couple" of these, haven't seen a cracked pivot bolt yet. If the pivot has been kept greased the stock bushings can still be just fine. But on a bike I will ride hard I'll put in the bronze bushings. Yes some aftermarket bushings are not properly sized. I have run into some (not from Mikes sex) 😁

Gary, would you shim a gap of 3/32" or is that within the "squeezable range" in your opinion?

Attachments

• IMG20230422121153.jpg
    IMG20230422121153.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG20230422121122.jpg
    IMG20230422121122.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG20230427163012.jpg
    IMG20230427163012.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG20230427162756.jpg
    IMG20230427162756.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG20230426175649.jpg
    IMG20230426175649.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG20230423163247.jpg
    IMG20230423163247.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG20230426162141.jpg
    IMG20230426162141.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 46
Took ;motorcycle out From Storage waiting for 137.5 Main Jets
+ 2 kits for BS 34 carb service.

Eyeballing the plan B Motor
It Has a cracked case because the chain broke. Dont believe much to do inside otherwise
.Have replacement cases that needs painting

Tried to loosen the sprocket with Rattle gun Without success

IMAG0200.jpg

Last edited:
Finally had enough of the rear wheel losing traction in the rain and put it up on the center stand to remove the wheel when I noticed a fair bit of movement in the swingarm.
After measuring, the frame gap boss to boss is 2mm more than the swingarm width with the thrust covers fitted .
I replaced the bushings previously with the all balls needle bearing kit and remember it was a tight fit so maybe the thrust covers have worn?.
I got a pair of new thrust covers from Geoff's xs and put those on the swingarm and put one of the used cover's over the boss part of the frame on the left side to remove the 2mm gap and then wrestled the swingarm into position.
Tightened up to 35 ft lbs and the swingarm dropped easily so I took it to 45 ft lbs and it slowly dropped under it's own weight.
The Bridgestone tyre was recommended by the tyre shop and can't fault it in dry conditions but definitely the most unsafe wet weather tyre I have ever used so feel much better with the new rubber on it. What's the ideal psi for a 130/90/16 tyre ?,
I had been getting a lot of brake squeeze so I took all three rotors off and cleaned them up with the orbital random sander with 240 grit then 400 grit and got all new pads as well. While the wheel's were off I also replaced the wheel bearings and seals although they seemed ok.
I'd shim that. Machine bushing or two will fill the gap nicely.

View attachment 241523View attachment 241524
Great looking bike Bosco. What Ohlins rear shocks are you using?

CHARGING WOES........... Go Away

OK, so came back to the bike with fresh Shell V-Power E5. Rigged up my remote fuel supply.
Checked all the wiring again. Fuel on. Choke out. Key on. Press start and she burst into life first press of the starter.
Let her run a few seconds then push choke in half way to keep revs up.
Volt meter to battery terminals and get a reading of......... 14.5 Volts.
So I guess I'm good with that.

If I've missed something please chip in.
Special thanks to @Jim and @jpdevol for help along the way.

Back to tidy up the wiring and refit LH case, Tank and seat unit. Should be good to go then.

Cheers as always,
Ads.:devil:
ACBUILD

Last edited:
CHARGING WOES........... Go Away

OK, so came back to the bike with fresh Shell V-Power E5. Rigged up my remote fuel supply.
Checked all the wiring again. Fuel on. Choke out. Key on. Press start and she burst into life first press of the starter.
Let her run a few seconds then push choke in half way to keep revs up.
Volt meter to battery terminals and get a reading of......... 14.5 Volts.
So I guess I'm good with that.

If I've missed something please chip in.
Special thanks to @Jim and @jpdevol for help along the way.

Back to tidy up the wiring and refit LH case, Tank and seat unit. Should be good to go then.

Cheers as always,
Ads.:devil:
You are REQUIRED to spend at LEAST 600 posts fixing any charging system issue :sneaky:
Bonus points if you piss off everyone trying to help.

You are REQUIRED to spend at LEAST 600 posts fixing any charging system issue :sneaky:
Bonus points if you piss off everyone trying to help.
Quite sure he even pissed off the Good Humor men that mentored us.Bonus points are most likely invalid across the globe.🍦😇.Ride safe wise friends.🏍 🤝.

Attachments

• DCE45186-2603-4175-A385-ADE9E4ADAE6B.jpeg
    DCE45186-2603-4175-A385-ADE9E4ADAE6B.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 48
I'm curious why? To replace with a standard one would seem to be a downgrade. What was your motivation?
Swapped rear 32T sprocket for a 34T and this changed the chain angle. Without a rider, if the chain tension wasn’t 100% the chain would very lightly rub on one of the arm braces (on the plastic protector I stuck on there, for this reason) and if the adjustment was out it could rub with a rider too. I didn’t want to damage the arm or chain. I was considering modifying the arm but didn’t want the bike to be down for a while so I put a stock one back in. I ride like a granny with stock power so I don’t think I’d appreciate the benefit of the reinforced swing arm anyway. Now I have time to decide - modify or sell?

My being deaf and blind I find it difficult to sync the carbs by ear but can tell they're not quite even. So I made a manometer after reading the threads on this great forum and even though it was jumping around was just starting to get them close to even when the engine died and it sucked up the fluid. Fortunately I used two stroke oil so no big deal and now I know to keep the 5mm hose away from the exhaust headers.🤔

Back