What have you done to your XS today?

View attachment 187622
Between rain showers I got the 79 run tested out pretty good. It still needs finishing cosmetically (side covers next) but the engine runs tuned like a champion, even through 5th gear. The handlebar and riding position is Awesome!
2021 tags from my sold F150 lol, no front brake line from the MC to the splitter. Still, even in the rain this was a pleasurable day!
New (to me) riding gear.
View attachment 187625
Ran very good ! Hardly a drip anywhere. Made it home in the rain.
-R

Very sporty looking! Love the “Nutcase” helmet! :laugh2:

20210321_155624.jpg

Hesitated just a moment before the tunnel of no return as it merges on the highway. Inspected for leaks etc, then let er fly
:cool:

Yes, it is the first time at any real speed. It's very stable. It's low and more of a wind deflector than anything. Seeing how rain drops were deflected was actually impressive. It's home is on this bike and to never find another one like it.
BTW, I really Like this gearing, 17 fr & 32 rr.
Very usable!
This bike feels good!

P1010133.JPG Spent most of yesterday on this case cover down to the 2000 wet / dry. Don't think I'll do the polish wheel on either case halves. Have some 2500 and stop there. Need to pick up some more poly-paint sealer. Thought about that Duplicolor hi-temp clear urethane that's chem. resistant. See what happens. Checked out my rotor just now. It passes a few tests...Wiring...can't wait for what that tells me. Getting off my wallet and buying 2 new mufflers, new shocks, an aluminum rear rim....Anyone see these early style mufflers that Mike's has now from a new vendor?? Look the same as previous offering, I see they have dropped the mention of hi-quality in the description....price is better.

Yes, it is the first time at any real speed. It's very stable. It's low and more of a wind deflector than anything. Seeing how rain drops were deflected was actually impressive. It's home is on this bike and to never find another one like it.
BTW, I really Like this gearing, 17 fr & 32 rr.
Very usable!
This bike feels good!

Bike looks great...been debating just putting on the original 34 sprocket to experience that. I have a 32 rear for the 17 ft. Windshield looks pretty functional.

Windshield looks pretty functional.
Yes, just a windshield, any windshield, needs to be accompanied by other components all adjusted together for the desired outcome.
In this case a sporty and comfortable riding position has been achieved for my own seating position and arm length.
The windshield height, the high end Halcyon bar end mirrors on the ends of the Tomaselli Adjustable handlebars have all been blended together for a very solid and comfortable feel.
20210321_160802.jpg

20201017_170532.jpg

I feel a 32T sprocket is ideal on a 16" rear wheel, not so much on an 18". 33T is better for the 18".

IMG_0010.JPG Ordered those shock covers for a set of gaiters. They arrived yesterday.
Pulled out an old set of '82 Heritage Special forks, ya know, the factory black ones and then proceeded to swap and install.
Everything went smoothly. I'll see if I can throw a pic in......threat of rain here.......

Last edited:
Just did my 2nd internal "John's Mod". This time to the oil pump. With a drop of oil between the steel and aluminum, the big and small impellers could spin freely moving with the tip of a small paint brush. Used a red (Walmart) scouring pad, drop of soap to remove remove crud from the steel. It also got the grooves coming out of the case bottom. Then, pieces of 400 grit against that bottom w/ the steel on top using that soap as lube...wasn't that difficult. Polished both side of the steel impellers on the flat sink counter w/ 220; 330 and 400 grit. Regardless of the potential increase in pump efficiency, sitting since the early 1980's it needed all of that anyway. +- 5 tho clearance  smooth.JPG

All the test riding in the hood has been with stock jetting and no filters.

Finally ordered a set of UNIs. They'll be here Friday. Prolly oughta look into jets.

She felt strong today.

Cheers yall.

Cool, just tried to create a kinda "star black" silver speckle out of a rattle can while feeding squirrels. Almost nailed it lol..
Maybe some re touch and clear coat will be goodenuff, I'm thinking brown wood stain on the side emblems to try to closely match the tank badges.. ,(not a body man) except
( . )( . )
:)

Attachments

• 20210323_181235.jpg
    20210323_181235.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 20210323_182359.jpg
    20210323_182359.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 95
Back