What have you done to your XS today?

View attachment 214120
I read you can use one of these for kick-only. It will look a lot nicer, and should work for riding around town. Didn't work when i was starting for the first time after winter, gonna try again.
It has to have enough current to feed the rotor and power the ignition at the same time. I assume your charging system is stock.

It has to have enough current to feed the rotor and power the ignition at the same time. I assume your charging system is stock.
Yeah, between the rotor and iggy you're looking at somewhere around 5amps of draw. Might be OK if your bike fires up right away... but it'll drain down pretty quick.

Well, I've had some running issues of late with the '79 Special. They began with popping and banging on the overrun for a couple of weeks and ended with a complete refusal to idle and an occasional dropping out of the R/H cylinder. Ran fine on choke and it was fine at higher rev's so suspicion fell on the carb's idle circuits.
First thing I did was drain the bowls and whip them off. Then I fitted a pair of inline fuel filters as I suspected crud in the fuel would be the offender.
Side panels had to come off to fit the fuel filters so whilst they were off I checked the air filters. Oh Dear! The picture says it all.
I had previously ordered some consumables when I bought the bike, including air filters, so in they went and as the seals around the filter box lids were either perished or non-existent they were replaced too with new self-adhesive foam strip.
Then it was on to the float bowls; both bowls had sediment in the bottom so I popped the idle jets out and, Lo & Behold, the right hand one was blocked. A compressed air blow-out of jets and orifices and it was time to reassemble, once I'd found a replacement fourth to join the three existing right hand float bowl mounting screws.
Test ride up the road and Voila! No popping and banging and nice and clean right up through the rev' range. Quick nudge up on the tickover and all was once again right with the world.
It's what Sundays are for.

Attachments

• 20220515_135906.jpg
    20220515_135906.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220515_174357.jpg
    20220515_174357.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220515_174423.jpg
    20220515_174423.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 64
NEW REAR WHEEL FOR THE WELSH FLAT TRACKER
After what seems like months I finally picked up my newly built rear wheel from the builder.

IMG_1532.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg

The same size 18" alloy rim as before, mounted to the Cognito Moto Disc Conversion Hub.
This time with double butted stainless steel spokes.

IMG_1530.jpeg

New wheel on left, old one on right. I can now run a 33 tooth sprocket instead of the 40T one!
Over to the build thread for more info: THE WELSH FLAT TRACK REVIVAL.
:devil:🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

NEW REAR WHEEL FOR THE WELSH FLAT TRACKER
After what seems like months I finally picked up my newly built rear wheel from the builder.

View attachment 214387 View attachment 214388
The same size 18" alloy rim as before, mounted to the Cognito Moto Disc Conversion Hub.
This time with double butted stainless steel spokes.

View attachment 214389

New wheel on left, old one on right. I can now run a 33 tooth sprocket instead of the 40T one!
Over to the build thread for more info: THE WELSH FLAT TRACK REVIVAL.
:devil:🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
That's a beautiful piece of kit!

BIKEWORKS WORKSHOP NEWPORT
Screenshot 2022-05-16 at 16.32.56.png
IMG_1518.jpeg
IMG_1515.jpeg

A while back I mentioned a great old school workshop.
Dave the wheel builder works out of here but Dave2 is the mechanic and engineer who owns the place.
Both are fantastic enthusiasts for anything with two wheels and a motor.
I love this place; it smells like a real motorcycle workshop, not the antiseptic sterile place a new BMW might get plugged into.
The two Dave's are willing to gas about all forms of motorbikes; or anything in fact. A great place to put the world to right.
Some random images of stuff in the shop now:

IMG_1516.jpeg
IMG_1517.jpeg
IMG_1520.jpeg
IMG_1521.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg
IMG_1523.jpeg
IMG_1524.jpeg
IMG_1525.jpeg

IMG_1526.jpeg

One for Raymond & Jim:
IMG_1527.jpeg
IMG_1528.jpeg

A nice place to have on my doorstep!
Ads.:devil:

@Adamc I always loved the sounds emanating from a shop like that. Most I knew were big garages, such as at car dealerships. But walking into a small shop like this would put me on a cloud.
'TT'
The sights, sound and smell! Had a friend that had a shop that specialized in vintage British cars. It was in an old brick car dealership from the 20's. It didn't take a lot of imagination to transform the location to Coventry or Abingdon.

20220522_181352.jpg
20220522_181352.jpg
First One That Runs When I Bought It
Fellow on Kijiji had a shortened seat and a pair of chopped fenders for sale that would be ideal for a '78 Special "hot rod" that I am putting together. Back and forth texting turns out that he has this decent '78 that's lost pride of place to a new Bonneville and we put together a package.
PO had installed a PMA and an electronic iggy, fresh seat, new Commando exhaust, tires, drilled rotors, etc. It sat over winter with ethanol gas in it so although it starts, I have to clean the carbs. In addition, I am going to switch it back to the stock ruby red tins also included. Also has air boxes plus an owner's manual and a tool kit. ( never saw one of them before!)
I plan to keep this as a runner to join the 77D. Might consider selling the FJ09, but that's probably going a bit too far.

Last edited:
View attachment 214815View attachment 214815
First One That Runs When I Bought It
Fellow on Kijiji had a shortened seat and a pair of chopped fenders for sale that would be ideal for a '78 Special "hot rod" that I am putting together. Back and forth texting turns out that he has this decent '78 that's lost pride of place to a new Bonneville and we put together a package.
PO had installed a PMA and an electronic iggy, fresh seat, new Commando exhaust, tires, drilled rotors, etc. It sat over winter with ethanol gas in it so although it starts, I have to clean the carbs. In addition, I am going to switch it back to the stock ruby red tins also included. Also has air boxes plus an owner's manual and a tool kit. ( never saw one of them before!)
I plan to keep this as a runner to join the 77D. Might consider selling the FJ09, but that's probably going a bit too far.
Looks like you landed a great deal there! Congrats on the purchase.

20220523_142417.jpg20220523_142435.jpg
Day Two
Drained the old gas out of the float bowls and rinsed the red tank, cleaned the gas taps and put it back together.
(the black tank it came with is a 74 or 75 and has a good lock on it with 2 keys)
It runs much better. I think it just needs a couple tanks of good ethanol free gas to go through it and it'll be fine.
So next is to clean the chain and a general tidy up and check over and get an appointment for a safety inspection and a vintage insurance appraisal.

A great find - they don't tend to show up like that in Britain. Looks even better with the red tank back on.

Someone took a good amount of time drilling out the discs for the brakes.
'TT'
Must have spent the time but not too sure about the pattern - should the holes not be arranged to cover the full width of the swept area?

A great find - they don't tend to show up like that in Britain. Looks even better with the red tank back on.

Must have spent the time but not too sure about the pattern - should the holes not be arranged to cover the full width of the swept area?
My thought exactly, didn't want to mention it.

Back