What have you done to your XS today?

ED5481CF-FA13-4E1B-8B93-0269A9EB73DF.jpeg

New rubber.

Did a little prep required to swap a TCI engine of unknown status into my '77 non-TCI bike. Made a test/start panel to test the starter motor, p/u coil, TCI box, solenoid and TCI-coil on the bench. Will be used eventually for an engine test-run stand. All bits test OK, including a spare coil.

Prepped a new sump plate, fixed torn pick-up filter screen and cleaned oil filter on the TCI engine.

One step at a time...

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 57
Ever since installing a @gggGary 8 plate clutch I have had a few self induced and phantom problems. Jetting was close but sometimes while riding everything seemed "off". I finally went one step up on the primary jets and the bike was magically transformed to "almost civilized" but that "off" feeling came back. Each time it seemed off the battery would be weak but a volt check indicated it was charging. I adjusted the regulator up twice, checked core and point gap. Same thing again but with a fresh charge the bike runs really nice. A check, again, of the alt output revealed it would stay at battery voltage then jump to 12.9-13.3 depending on revs 2500-3500. Having read in these forums warnings about stressing the alternator, I located the VR115 regulator I ordered 2-3 months ago and cludged up a mount. Now it seems to charge at 12.7-12.9 at idle and 13.4-13.6 at 3000 rpm. Time for a ride to see where the battery is after 20-40 miles.
16557413384225804263643483757279.jpg

Ever since installing a @gggGary 8 plate clutch I have had a few self induced and phantom problems. Jetting was close but sometimes while riding everything seemed "off". I finally went one step up on the primary jets and the bike was magically transformed to "almost civilized" but that "off" feeling came back. Each time it seemed off the battery would be weak but a volt check indicated it was charging. I adjusted the regulator up twice, checked core and point gap. Same thing again but with a fresh charge the bike runs really nice. A check, again, of the alt output revealed it would stay at battery voltage then jump to 12.9-13.3 depending on revs 2500-3500. Having read in these forums warnings about stressing the alternator, I located the VR115 regulator I ordered 2-3 months ago and cludged up a mount. Now it seems to charge at 12.7-12.9 at idle and 13.4-13.6 at 3000 rpm. Time for a ride to see where the battery is after 20-40 miles.View attachment 216813
And I came back from my ride at 11.8 v ! I will pull the @Jim checks of grounds, contacts, etc. I never had the battery out so that might be an issue.

And I came back from my ride at 11.8 v ! I will pull the @Jim checks of grounds, contacts, etc. I never had the battery out so that might be an issue.
Get the engine warmed up (hot), pull the brushes and check resistance on the rotor slip rings. Should be about 5Ω. When they get hot is when you'll see the insulation go to hell and resistance drop or go way high. Since it was charging OK starting out, that's a good possibility.

Get the engine warmed up (hot), pull the brushes and check resistance on the rotor slip rings. Should be about 5Ω. When they get hot is when you'll see the insulation go to hell and resistance drop or go way high. Since it was charging OK starting out, that's a good possibility.
Thanks Jim I will do that. This is weird because the Ozarks rally was incident free and I was feeling confident. I will inspect/clean the ground and then make that check. Outer ring to ground? Or better yet, reference the tech section I should check.:D After I saw the 11.8v after the ride, I revved the motor a little, 2000-3000 rpm and voltage jumped to 13.1-13.4ish. Much of my ride was the 2500-3000 range but there were 10 minute stretches, 45 mph, of 3500 ish running. I hope I don't pull the battery and find a 2013 date stamp. That would be embarassing.

Last edited:
TABLE TO BENCH.......
Persevering with a wobbly patio table to work on is no pleasure.

IMG_1650.JPEG

So I built me a proper work-bench using stud wall timber and some surplus wardrobe end panels.
Good work height, and solid as a rock; fixed to the wall with frame anchors.
It can be dismantled and moved when necessary. Ready for a proper vice and pillar drill!

IMG_1651.JPEG
IMG_1652.JPEG

Back