What have you done to your XS today?

Finished wiring the handlebar switches. Having a look at some bits for stage 2. Standard rear end first so I can get it Roadworthy & on the road & then modify the rear end.

Attachments

• Troll bars.jpg
    Troll bars.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Troll rear.jpg
    Troll rear.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 59
So, me and my buddy took our 650s over to a local cruise night last night and guess what ..... we won a trophy, "Best in Show"!!!. We got a trophy to share and we each got a T-shirt .....

Our650s3.jpg

Our650s.jpg

Our650s2.jpg

A 650 bobber showed up. A bit of a "rat", but the construction (welds) looked good .....

Bobber.jpg

Bobber2.jpg

Today was new carb day! Just installed a set of Mikes XS 32mm performance carbs. Got the pre assembled kit, bolted ‘em up and the bike started right up and runs like a top! :cheers:
1980 XS 650

Attachments

• D656F69B-1973-442F-8FD1-738B4D2FF83C.jpeg
    D656F69B-1973-442F-8FD1-738B4D2FF83C.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 80
  • E4161500-BF5A-4C62-88AE-C610F3E8F122.jpeg
    E4161500-BF5A-4C62-88AE-C610F3E8F122.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 78
Today was new carb day! Just installed a set of Mikes XS 32mm performance carbs. Got the pre assembled kit, bolted ‘em up and the bike started right up and runs like a top! :cheers:
1980 XS 650
Welcome! I hope for continued success with your clean "survivor" ride

1980 XS 650

Welcome Wave-1, nice 80SG.

XS650 headers a doubled walled so they should never colour. I'm concerned about how much there is and would be checking the jetting

Welcome Wave-1, nice 80SG.

XS650 headers a doubled walled so they should never colour. I'm concerned about how much there is and would be checking the jetting
Thanks Skull, I shared the same concern. The discoloration occurred prior to the carb swap, I could never get the original carbs to play nice. I’ll be doing some header polishing today, and I trust the new carbs and associated jetting has fixed the issue.

Thanks Skull, I shared the same concern. The discoloration occurred prior to the carb swap, I could never get the original carbs to play nice. I’ll be doing some header polishing today, and I trust the new carbs and associated jetting has fixed the issue.
If I may; the discoloration there is heat (obviously, sorry), lean jetting can contribute, but a main cause is lack of airflow while hot. I use a box fan if running in shop to keep outer pipe cooler. The blueing will not typically polish-out - sorry

Went to fit the new DID530 heavy duty 104 link chain to 17/33 sprocket set.....
Dang, it’s to short; Radian swing arm must be longer than standard.
Looks to be 3 to 4 links short. Anyone know the right number of links?
@teamWicked ? Or @halfmile

Went to fit the new DID530 heavy duty 104 link chain to 17/33 sprocket set.....
Dang, it’s to short; Radian swing arm must be longer than standard.
Looks to be 3 to 4 links short. Anyone know the right number of links?
@teamWicked ? Or @halfmile
I believe @gggGary uses the radian as well.

I

I usually buy a generic 120 link 530 chain, wrap it on the sprockets and cut (grind off, tap out pins) to length.
Ok gggary, sound like a plan.
Just looking for a lazy no work way to do it.

That early disc has a different offset than the newer disc. It's offset about 5mm more .....

Offset.jpg

Offset2.jpg

If that turns out to be an issue for you, you can gain back 3mm of it by simply flipping the disc over on the carrier mount.

That early disc has a different offset than the newer disc. It's offset about 5mm more .....

View attachment 221891

View attachment 221892

If that turns out to be an issue for you, you can gain back 3mm of it by simply flipping the disc over on the carrier mount.
Thanks for the heads up. I think the extra offset may work in my favour. Holding the caliper in place it looks like spoke clearance is going to be tight.

Back