IMG_20221111_154105.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20221111_153939.jpg
    IMG_20221111_153939.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20221111_153926.jpg
    IMG_20221111_153926.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 56
It's been nice weather around here for November, but rain is approaching and then forecast highs in the 40's for foreseeable future:rolleyes:. Drained a bunch of carbs and filled the tanks - with the exception of the tracker. As it's a fiberglass tank, it just gets drained.
View attachment 229514
JP, I don't recall seeing this bike before. What an exceptional build! I see lots of goodies on it. Did you do a build thread or was it done prior to joining the forum?

JP, I don't recall seeing this bike before. What an exceptional build! I see lots of goodies on it. Did you do a build thread or was it done prior to joining the forum?
Thank you! That bike build was mostly before my time here and it's been through several minor updates - is a hoot to ride!

This past August, I took it on a big charity ride with about 80-90 Harleys. At each stop it got most of the attention and questions (what the hell is that?);):cool::laugh2:

shame you didn't document your process to add any differences to the gauge thread..........

hope it helped you
Yes I thought this halfway through it, as usual I got a bit carried away.

What I can say is that where as the Custom Gauges gauge decals are excellent the centre fascia decal was very thin and pretty rubbish. The ignition barrel was out of alignment and too small even though I'd ordered the correct diametre and the black finish was so mottled with air beneath that I wrongly assumed it was a protective film and removed it. It came away as easily as you'd expect a film to as well.

Got a heap of chroming back which allowed me finish the wiring to the rear of my No2 77D - Im happy with its simplicity - mounted short stalk blinkers -excuse the condition of the frame as the bike was a barn find and the frame will be the last thing I do - the headlight area wiring was completed 2 months ago - all wiring now complete.
Next phase - chromimg on the front of the bike - need to get it to the chromers before christmas break as have been advised it will be an even longer que after they return (currently 12 weeks)- then painting of tins including early style side cover design (on the 77D side covers).
Regards Ray.
P1030964.JPG
P1030967.JPG

Got a heap of chroming back which allowed me finish the wiring to the rear of my No2 77D - Im happy with its simplicity - mounted short stalk blinkers -excuse the condition of the frame as the bike was a barn find and the frame will be the last thing I do - the headlight area wiring was completed 2 months ago - all wiring now complete.
Next phase - chromimg on the front of the bike - need to get it to the chromers before christmas break as have been advised it will be an even longer que after they return (currently 12 weeks)- then painting of tins including early style side cover design (on the 77D side covers).
Regards Ray.
View attachment 229614View attachment 229615
That wiring looks incredibly neat! Something to aim for for me.

Regards Ray.
View attachment 229614View attachment 229615
Love the wiring detail!

I wish I had taken a pic at that stage, you have to start some ware, what's your vision?
@Lucky Phil, thanks for asking.
Not wanting to get too far ahead of myself here, but there is a short-term objective we'll call Stage 1 and a longer-term vision I'll call Stage 2.
- Stage 1 is to simply cobble the bike together in stock form so that is will pass a roadworthiness inspection mandated under Quebec "Code de la Route". This means no restoration, mods, updates or anything other than the most basic roadworthiness requirements, as seen by a provincially-mandated vehicle inspector. Check list will include fresh tires, functional lights/indicators, horn, brakes, seat (cannot be torn/patched!) and so on.
- The Stage 2 vision is a full build, with the style aspect being a work in progress. Tracker and scrambler/desert sled looks appeal to me and will be influences, but I don't think I want to specifically build to any one specific style. I'll need to do some mock-ups to help refine the direction it will take.

What have I done to the SG lately......Today was an oil change. New filter and cleaned the oil intake filter/plate. Tried to get the clutch cable adjusted again. I also took the (new to her) clutch perch apart to fully lube it. It's from a 70's/80's Kawasaki KZ. I like them better because the pivot is close to an inch thick and not just 1/4 inch wide. Took the pivot bolt out and the lever and lubed everything up. When reassembled the lever does not flop about like a stock Yammer does. Lubed the clutch cable. It was so dry. I still need to service the clutch ramp. The cable has a kink\bend in it by the handle. I'm going to see if I can straighten it out. I took the SG out after the oil change and the clutch slips at higher power levels. Not bad but, room for improvement. The cable that broke last week was a Motion Pro brand that has been on for many years. I knew it needed a service and I didn't get to it in time. The installed one is a stock Yamaha because the cable is thicker. I changed the grips too because I had to take the old ones to put the KZ clutch perch on most of the thread pattern was worn off. I did have to slice off the closed ends and a layer off the open end. The closed end because of the bar end mirrors and the other end for looks. A heavy shot of WD-40 on the handlebar and inside the new grip and they just slide on. After the runoff is wiped off and the WD-40 dries the grips stay in place. I did take some pics but I can't find them in this chromebook.

I like and use the Kawasaki clutch lever and perch as well, and for the same reason - the wide pivot .....

New Clutch Lever.jpg

New Clutch Lever3.JPG

However, I found that the cable attachment point is closer to the sheath compared to the original Yamaha lever .....

PerchCompare.jpg

This made the inner cable almost too long, so I made up and added a shim down where the cable enters the cover .....

CableSpacer2.jpg

The shim was made from an old elbow from a junk clutch cable .....

ElbowCut.jpg

83CableSpacer.jpg

I like and use the Kawasaki clutch lever and perch as well, and for the same reason - the wide pivot .....

View attachment 229844

View attachment 229845

However, I found that the cable attachment point is closer to the sheath compared to the original Yamaha lever .....

View attachment 229846

This made the inner cable almost too long, so I made up and added a shim down where the cable enters the cover .....

View attachment 229847

The shim was made from an old elbow from a junk clutch cable .....

View attachment 229848

View attachment 229849
I have always hated floppy levers. Thanks for bringing this to the table. Like your cable length fix.

Is that for your Honda? 🤔
Yes sir:redface:, didn't know where else to put it; it is working toward my next XS. Strange pattern: cross-one normal for short spokes, but I usually put insides going opposite directions - that's the way the rim was punched:shrug: We'll see....

Back