What have you done to your XS today?

Not mine, a buddy came by with a "bird poop repaired" center stand. Ground out the old repair and played mig-a-part. With a bit of spot putty and paint, should be good for another 50 years.
KIMG3196.JPGKIMG3197.JPG
He also had a swing arm with the "sleeve" stuck so tight in the bushings we had to use the hydraulic press to drive it out.
then gary's patented bushing removal tool had THOSE out in less time than it took me to find it.
swingarm.jpg

Last edited:
Bought my XS last summer. It was barely a runner and I spent a few days getting it running and then the rest of the summer riding and getting it reliable. 4000kms later after last summer I decided to tear it down and get it looking as good as it runs. I picked up replica Dunstalls last year and packed them properly. It sounds perfect now. I also replaced the stock seat with a Texvina seat. I liked it so much and dealing with them so much that i ordered a second different style seat so I can switch it up. This week has been all body work. I like the earlier bikes that had the headlight ears painted so I did the same. Forks are rebuilt and I painted the lowers. I am changing the paint from black to 1960s MG Dark British Racing Green. I have 1975 decals for the tank and side covers. Low bars, new Dunlop K70s, new chain and sprockets and little things like replacing the amber rear singal lights with red ones like the early bikes. I love this bike more than I should and more than the 40 other bikes I have owned.
69990367337__290C4661-BA52-4963-9B07-9EE4201E9C93.JPG
IMG_8079.JPG
IMG_8080.JPG
IMG_8082.JPG

Something ( possum maybe) knocked a piece of 4 X 4 timber off the rafters and naturally it landed end edge first onto the xs fuel tank and avoided the wife's RE.
I got two quotes, both said $1,000 to repair and repaint so I did it myself with lots of sanding and filling and more sanding and filling pinholes. I finally got it painted and realised how much dust is floating around in the garage.
No suppliers had the candy red base coat so it's now blue.
IMG20230203124811.jpg
IMG20230218083152.jpg

When I was recently reassembling the engine after replacing the f*cked crankshaft bearing I noticed that the tacho drive was binding up the oil pump slightly. I removed the tacho drive and the oil pump spun freely so I knew something was amiss. After a bit of searching on here I realised that the spacer washer was missing from the bottom of the tacho drive shaft and it was sitting too low in the clutch case.
I thought it may have worn the drive but it still has the armature type finish on it and the case hole looks to be slightly worn.
Couldn't find the machine steel spacer so I have installed copper washer and the pump spins free now so it should be okay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-10-12-43-53-74_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-10-12-43-53-74_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 31
When I was recently reassembling the engine after replacing the f*cked crankshaft bearing I noticed that the tacho drive was binding up the oil pump slightly. I removed the tacho drive and the oil pump spun freely so I knew something was amiss. After a bit of searching on here I realised that the spacer washer was missing from the bottom of the tacho drive shaft and it was sitting too low in the clutch case.
I thought it may have worn the drive but it still has the armature type finish on it and the case hole looks to be slightly worn.
Couldn't find the machine steel spacer so I have installed copper washer and the pump spins free now so it should be okay.
The po of my bike put in a copper washer in place of the steel one. Not even 3,000 km later, there wasn’t much left of the washer. I opted to buy a new one from Yamaha and now it’s in. If it were me I’d swap the copper one out.

Last edited:
The po of my bike put in a copper washer in place of the steel one. Not even 3,000 I’m later, there wasn’t much left of the washer. I opted to buy a new one from Yamaha and now it’s in. If it were me I’d swap the copper one out.
Yes I plan on replacing it when I can find the correct one, figure of got a few trips to work before the copper wears out. Anyone got the part number?.
Screenshot_2023-03-13-14-28-57-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Back