What have you done to your XS today?

Charging Woes.
With the help of @Jim, @Jan_P, @Raymond etc….
I reviewed the numerous wiring diagrams I used and discovered my error.
I missed a 5cm length of wire from the Iggy key on feed to the stator brown wire to energise the rotor. All because the M-Unit / Revival wiring diagrams don’t feature TCI set up.
Bugger me!
More rectification and tests tomorrow.
ACBUILD

Last edited:
I've had a wheel balancing session, what a peaceful and therapeutic job it is! I've temporarily used old car wheel weights that I'd saved a few years ago to balance, I'm a bit surprised how much weight I'll need to add to each wheel - the front needed 50g in one area and a 5g where as the rear needed 40g and a 5g. It's going to detract a bit from nice new spokes and polished rims, I notice that a rarely see photos of wheels on here with any weights on them.
Did you try moving the tyre on the rim? Or even just notice the red dot (heaviest spot) or yellow dot (lightest spot) on the tyre?

That is a damn good point @arcticXS , I did align the tyres low spot with the valve but didn't think to deflate and shift the tyre on the rim to adjust balance first. That's a job for tomorrow I think, it should reduce the amount of weight needed at the very least.

Finally bit the bullet and changed out the original glass fuse box for a modern blade unit from cycle terminal.

There wasn’t enough clearance under the seat to mount the new one, so I relocated under the right side cover on the battery box.

IMG_0012.jpeg
IMG_0011.jpeg

Not today, last Friday actually. I had a maintenance day - changed the clutch pushrod + seal on the XS, did an oil + filter change and clutch bleed on the Multi, fitted a Kedo steering damper kit on the SR. With the bikes sparkling nicely in the Spring sunshine, I thought I'd best take a pic!

View attachment 241142
I like the chrome tank on the 500😍

HI All
Got her running today, pulls hard, a bit rough at low RPM but not properly tuned yet. Problem is I'm getting a lot of crank case blow by including oil mist from the breather, this has had a top end rebuild including Shell #1 cam and mild port work and Mikuni flat slide carbs.
Can anyone advise on what I should be looking for.

CHARGING WOES
Spent the afternoon rewiring the charging system (again!).
I will test tomorrow and update on my build thread.
Anon.:er:
ACBUILD

Last edited:
Try as I might I can't get the front wheel balanced without using over 60g of lead, that's with moving the tyre on the rim
I had a front tire like that. Came on a bike with a ST of weights and was still shaking like a dog spitting peach pits. Stripped weights, re balanced, finally had to toss it. It had some sort of internal flaw.

I did nothing to my XS650 today except get it out and go for a nice afternoon ride like I’m supposed to doing at this young age.Now I’m putting it away.✅😁

Attachments

• 36D8B411-5215-4C0B-BEBA-A1B6E10A3216.jpeg
    36D8B411-5215-4C0B-BEBA-A1B6E10A3216.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 48
Back