What have you done to your XS today?

G'day bosco, sorry I don't know how to post a link, it took me a lot of searching before I found it after googling xs650 exhaust header cleaning.
Found it in the garage titled, How have you cleaned your original headers . Posted by SinisterMatti, June 23/ 2015.
Post 14 is by glennpm.
Recipe is easy, he used half each of the green and white 1/4 lb bars and a small amount of thinner, recommending it be a liquid and not a paste.
I used half the bars and 1/2 cup thinner and it wasn't in the least bit thick, probably could have used less thinner, just be aware it takes some elbow grease to remove any residue .
Glennpm said he did it with light rubbing, mine were in a bad state and I did multiple applications with lots of rubbing but well worth the effort.
Yet to see how it goes after some engine running as I've been too busy to put it back together but I'll post an update once I've had it running.
Great, thanks @Oldfartaussie. I’ll hunt it down.

Getting ready to replace the cam seals.

Don’t ask me how much I paid for the o rings at the local Yamaha dealership.

There seems to be a “healthy” markup from US prices to what we Canadians actually pay, even with the exchange rate factored in (rant over).

This said, I’m happy we can still get factory parts for our old bikes.

I don’t think the parts counter guys knew what an XS650 was when I ordered though.

IMG_0025.jpeg

My buddy was out yesterday, buying several old bikes from this guy, and saw this and dug it out of the back of a barn, and called me today to come and get it. It's a no-title SG (2F0-204XXX) and was abused by one or more POs. I already have a nice SG, so this will probably end up being a parts bike. He paid $150 and rolled it over to me for what he paid for it. The engine has good compression, and the throttle is not sticky, so the carbs are probably not too bad. It did come with a seat, but the cover and foam are half misssing, so it's pretty beat, but has a good pan. I think for a buck-and-a-half I did all right. Thanks to my buddy Brian at Vintage King Motor Sports in Baldwinsville, NY.
342684661_626688252843476_7376668172379653734_n.jpg

Last edited:
Speedometer and tachometer arrived in the post from Wisconsin, flea bay, $70 Aus for the pair.
No dampers or outer shell's so had to remove them from my falsely reading gauges I've been using.
Tacho was easy but I had to do some research to get the trip meter knob off so I could remove the damper. Two spoons under the pointer and off it came, needle nosed pliars on the shaft and unscrewed the knob no problem.

Attachments

• IMG20230509155314.jpg
    IMG20230509155314.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG20230511180919.jpg
    IMG20230511180919.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 38
Made heat shields to prevent hot boot syndrome...I've been saving two dandy bits off some forgotten scooter, just for this I guess...probably 20 years. Tomorrow I'll put 'em on. Left boot was getting cooked, well, mostly sneakers, burnt rubber an' all. Nifty button head stainless... Someday I'll wrap the header pipes...
Above the cleaning of pipe...good to know!
Yes, steel wool will start rust.
I think that a stainless steel wool is sold.
And I know that a copper wool is also sold.

Best!

...................ok, brushed stainless and all done. It works.

Last edited:
Carb needle reposition (leaner) and check sync. Off a bit and after adjustment it “appears” to vibrate a bit less around 3800 rpm. Will take it for a good ride tomorrow. First time using this Carbtune sync tool. Pretty happy with the way it works. Better than dial gauges and easier to use than my old Motion Pro manometer.

IMG_3392.png

Carb needle reposition (leaner) and check sync. Off a bit and after adjustment it “appears” to vibrate a bit less around 3800 rpm. Will take it for a good ride tomorrow. First time using this Carbtune sync tool. Pretty happy with the way it works. Better than dial gauges and easier to use than my old Motion Pro manometer.

View attachment 242883
beautiful manometer!

I got a HHB top mount but because my frame is homebrew I hade to make and weld on a mount for my HHB mount haha

Came out not too shabby. Time for paint

Attachments

• IMG_20230519_155236163_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230519_155236163_HDR.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20230519_155227783_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230519_155227783_HDR.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20230519_155219329_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230519_155219329_HDR.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 38
My buddy was out yesterday, buying several old bikes from this guy, and saw this and dug it out of the back of a barn, and called me today to come and get it. It's a no-title SG (2F0-204XXX) and was abused by one or more POs. I already have a nice SG, so this will probably end up being a parts bike. He paid $150 and rolled it over to me for what he paid for it. The engine has good compression, and the throttle is not sticky, so the carbs are probably not too bad. It did come with a seat, but the cover and foam are half misssing, so it's pretty beat, but has a good pan. I think for a buck-and-a-half I did all right. Thanks to my buddy Brian at Vintage King Motor Sports in Baldwinsville, NY.View attachment 242318
Dang I better check out in my garage as that could be the twin to mine right down to the cast spoke rims and rusty exhaust! No wait I just checked my paper work and mine is a 5V4***** so I'm safe

I’ve nothing to my XS today except go out to the last pile and find that bolt I hid many moons ago,before every thing worthy went inside.🤣OMG what a hoot.

Attachments

• 086412EA-21EF-4931-BF5D-A942A99EEE60.jpeg
    086412EA-21EF-4931-BF5D-A942A99EEE60.jpeg
    755.3 KB · Views: 43
My starter gear is beginning to slip more often when the engine is cold so I tried modifying my old spare starter gear by squeezing in the vice with a 4mm drill bit in the crook of the spring to stop it deforming. I then slipped a 3.2mm wire rope swage fitting over the bend and squeezed it, hoping that will stop the spring spreading as easy.
Haven't installed it yet and not sure if the swage fitting will foul up on the cases but I'll have a try when I can.
IMG20230510162757.jpg

Back