What have you done to your XS today?

My starter gear is beginning to slip more often when the engine is cold so I tried modifying my old spare starter gear by squeezing in the vice with a 4mm drill bit in the crook of the spring to stop it deforming. I then slipped a 3.2mm wire rope swage fitting over the bend and squeezed it, hoping that will stop the spring spreading as easy.
Haven't installed it yet and not sure if the swage fitting will foul up on the cases but I'll have a try when I can.View attachment 243238
Sounds promising.... I like it.
One suggestion I'd make is take a file and round off the hard edges of the swage, the part(s) where it'll rub on the case.

Sounds promising.... I like it.
One suggestion I'd make is take a file and round off the hard edges of the swage, the part(s) where it'll rub on the case.
Did file the corners off Jim so there's no chance of damage to the cases.
Yet to see if it fits but when I squeezed the spring I tied a fishing line to the tip and the other end to a bucket and poured in water till it slipped.
It slowly spun after 8.5 litres of water had been added to the bucket so that's 8.5 kilos, then I fitted the swage. Had to try a few before finding the 3.2mm was a firm fit ,then I squeezed the swage so it can't come off and end up where it shouldn't.
Can't claim credit for it though, I saw it on here awhile back about another model, xvs? or something like that.

Been off here for awhile. Things been tough health and all, but feeling good enough to ride.
Got the 83 out, rode it some then wouldn't start. It wasn't running the best so I swapped in another set of carbs. Didn't help
Started checking out the ignition, it has a Pamco on it. It has power on the red/white wire at the Pamco and the coil. The green wire changes from a low of about 2 volts to a high of battery voltage. Checked coil ohms it was high on the primary about 4.2, should be 2.5. secondary was mid 20k. Should be low to mid 10k swapped the coil off the 81. If fired a couple times then nothing. Bought a couple of the Honda mp08 coils got one wired in and nothing. No spark. Checked ohms on the old caps and they were way high. The lowest was 9.6k, high over 20k. Bought new caps no continuity in them, sending back. The coil ohms out ok. Not sure what to try next. Maybe swap the Pamco out of the 81. Battery voltage at the battery is about 12.4 but after the key switch is only about 11.4. that just might be the issue. Guess I'll pull the switch and try tearing it apart and clean the contacts.
I need to get the 75 out where I can work on it. Needs carb work as well as install the new battery.

Been off here for awhile. Things been tough health and all, but feeling good enough to ride.
Got the 83 out, rode it some then wouldn't start. It wasn't running the best so I swapped in another set of carbs. Didn't help
Started checking out the ignition, it has a Pamco on it. It has power on the red/white wire at the Pamco and the coil. The green wire changes from a low of about 2 volts to a high of battery voltage. Checked coil ohms it was high on the primary about 4.2, should be 2.5. secondary was mid 20k. Should be low to mid 10k swapped the coil off the 81. If fired a couple times then nothing. Bought a couple of the Honda mp08 coils got one wired in and nothing. No spark. Checked ohms on the old caps and they were way high. The lowest was 9.6k, high over 20k. Bought new caps no continuity in them, sending back. The coil ohms out ok. Not sure what to try next. Maybe swap the Pamco out of the 81. Battery voltage at the battery is about 12.4 but after the key switch is only about 11.4. that just might be the issue. Guess I'll pull the switch and try tearing it apart and clean the contacts.
I need to get the 75 out where I can work on it. Needs carb work as well as install the new battery.
Morning Leo! Always good to see a friend pop back up!
Hope you quickly get one back in action.

My starter gear is beginning to slip more often when the engine is cold so I tried modifying my old spare starter gear by squeezing in the vice with a 4mm drill bit in the crook of the spring to stop it deforming. I then slipped a 3.2mm wire rope swage fitting over the bend and squeezed it, hoping that will stop the spring spreading as easy.
Haven't installed it yet and not sure if the swage fitting will foul up on the cases but I'll have a try when I can.View attachment 243238
@Oldfartaussie let us know how this goes I'm having the same issue and I've squeezed the heck out of that clip the same way and still it won't hold

Hi Leo! Good to see you're back at it.

Hi Mr Leo! FWIW a > 10% voltage drop across a switch sounds too high to me. Depending on current it's liable to get hot, I think. You may have more than one problem though, and that's always a braintwister. I wonder, if a high resistance in the feed to the switch might be dropping the switch input voltage under load, and the switch itself might be ok... Just my speculations...you're there, not me. I have had wiring that had partially broken strands inside the insulation, rarely. I'd WAG guess that a motorcycle wiring harness would be designed for < 2% loss in steadystate run... Best o' Luck! Keep us with the troubleshoot.

Flaring off excess fuel>

To-day on the old XS gal, which is a bit like Johnny Cash's Caddy, bits from various years, nominally an '81... Well, the recent heat shields that I fitted on the shorties to prevent the heartbreak of burning boot syndrome, worked. Took the lady up to 95 or so on "my" back road. It's about a 15 miles loop of two lane blacktop...about 6 of which is copfreezone, usually! (the one time I met a cop out there my beanie was on my knee - he waved and went on.)

Like the old hot oil VW dipstick check, if you can keep hold of a thing it's not too hot. I was able to keep a palm on the outer side both left and right. Just. The kicker just clears the right side shield. They're stainless. Sneakers did not melt.

Upon return, I took the Sporty out and ran the other way 'round. The creeks are running full and fast, what with the bigbigsnowpack all melting. Cows and horses... Very "pastoral" and pretty.

When a rich uncle drops off his twig I'll buy a magic electro-camera and make some flicks of the local roads.

Best! 40N

The wife and I took part in the Distinguished Gentleman's ride to raise funds for prostate health, 42 klms through suburbia to the city and back, all in suits and ties, we got a lot of looks and waves of support which was a change from getting rammed off the road.
Met some great people and looked at lots of nice bikes, even a couple of xs's.

Attachments

• IMG20230521123854.jpg
    IMG20230521123854.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG20230521090029.jpg
    IMG20230521090029.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG20230521082416.jpg
    IMG20230521082416.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG20230521121452.jpg
    IMG20230521121452.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 56
Hi everyone, after many years of letting my 1972 collecting dust, it's now the time to finish it and bring the old lady back on the road. Carbs, front brake and some clutch adjustments and she'll be ready. So today, removing and disassembling the carbs, I already rebuilt them in the past but the left one was dripping gas, a stripped screw on the bowl. I have another one to replace it.

Attachments

• IMG_2065.jpeg
    IMG_2065.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 44
Following the Shake Down ride:
Adjusted the handlebar position, pulling it back more to easy wrist ache.
Adjusted bar switch positions to make indicator buttons more accessible.
And ordered some new rear shocks as below built to my bike / body weight and riding style.
Fully adjustable units too. Now the automatic James Bond ejector seating may be resolved!

2win1.PNG

2win2.PNG

Price for the pair delivered = £432.00 including taxes,.

Bought them from this dealer: https://bikerevival.uk/product/2win-motorcycle-twinshocks
Dealt directly with a guy called Simon who asked a lot of questions regarding my bike; its build and my riding usage.
As my bike is customised (Radian Swing Arm), Simon needed extra details so I sent in images and dimensions of the mounting points.
They expect a 10 day turnaround for the items to arrive. So far a great service.
Installation will be recorded in my build thread.
Ads.:devil:
ACBUILD

Last edited:
Some bits and pieces from Heidens I thought I would give a try.
Just in case somebody isnt aware, the collar fits on the transmission output shaft between the countershaft sprocket and bearing and shares the sealing job along with the seal on that shaft and as its relies on a metal to metal contact to do this, it has to be kept tight.
This collar, from Heidens, is intended to be an improvement by incorporating an O ring - I dont know if its successful or not, but I was placing an order anyway so thought it wont matter to have it on hand.
Ditto the oil filter - give it a try.
Regards - Ray.

P1040169.JPG

Some bits and pieces from Heidens I thought I would give a try.
Just in case somebody isnt aware, the collar fits on the transmission output shaft between the countershaft sprocket and bearing and shares the sealing job along with the seal on that shaft and as its relies on a metal to metal contact to do this, it has to be kept tight.
This collar, from Heidens, is intended to be an improvement by incorporating an O ring - I dont know if its successful or not, but I was placing an order anyway so thought it wont matter to have it on hand.
Ditto the oil filter - give it a try.
Regards - Ray.

View attachment 243586
Looking forward to your report.

I already had the Virago risers on Madness for years. After the Ozarks run then 180 miles yesterday I was Jones'n for an even higher bar. While rooting about the SOIR trying to find some Norton sidecovers, I ran into a new Emgo CB750 handle bar, so off came the eurobar and on went the CB.
cb750 handlebars madness.jpg

Only gave it a run round the country block, then a minor rotation. It moved my hands up about 2". Think it'll be a big improvement and just enough to let me stand on the pegs while riding for back relief.
You gotta do what yah gotta, to be old n still ride.
(shhh don't tell 5T I took off the euro bar)
I'd like to take about an 1" off the ends yet.
That wireless charging phone mount has held the phone for 2,000 miles now, no problem. A valve cover o-ring is a safety backup but so far no need.

Last edited:
Back