What have you done to your XS today?

Wires buttoned up … everything actually works !!

Attachments

• 9FB337C0-07AB-4893-8351-A2C2CBB58183.jpeg
    9FB337C0-07AB-4893-8351-A2C2CBB58183.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 46
Almost finished up my left side mid control. Then realized at dinner a better way to do a couple of things so I think I'm going to cut these TC bros universal forwards up a bit more tomorrow. I also continued to strip the spray paint off the engine. The right side is looking pretty good, this side not so much. I'll blow it apart next winter for a proper cleaning.

PXL_20230610_012558100.PORTRAIT~2-01.jpeg

Thinking I may have a fuel starvation issue, as the supply tube had a slight uphill to the carbs. Shortened and re-route the tube. It’s all down hill from here!
ACBUILD

Last edited:
Also noticed the M-Gadget bar end indicator had worked itself out due to vibes. A few turns on the expanding rubber shaft, shove it back in the bar and retighten.

Last edited:
If I may suggest; One of the first things I'd do, given your symptom, is remove the pods and check for proper diaphragm/slide operation: start it up and peer into the bell and verify the slides are lifting with rpm. If not, or if they flutter @2000, press the choke rod in (attempting to overcome a leak) and see if the slides respond. Otherwise I'm also paying particular attention to the diaphragm operation (14sec drop test)
Went back over @jpdevol suggestion.
OK returned to the carbs and decided to disassemble and clean yet again; no issues found.
On reassembly I did the slide drop test; and low and behold the left slide was just falling too quickly.
Took out the slide again and rechecked the diaphragm with a very bright Milwaukee LED pen light:
IMG_0214.JPEG

InkedIMG_0216.jpg

A tiny pin prick hole in a crease of the diaphragm; easily missed.
I'm hoping I have found the issue now with getting over 1/4 throttle.
I will have to source a new diaphragm / slide to fix this.
Ads. :banghead:
ACBUILD

Last edited:
Went back over @jpdevol suggestion.
OK returned to the carbs and decided to dissemble and clean yet again; no issues found.
On reassembly I did the slide drop test; and low and behold the left slide was just falling too quickly.
Took our the slide again and rechecked with a very bright Milwaukee LED pen light:
View attachment 244950

View attachment 244951

A tiny pin prick hole in a crease of the diaphragm; easily missed.
I'm hoping I have found the issue now with getting over 1/4 throttle.
I will have to source a new diaphragm / slide to fix this.
Ads. :banghead:
I believe it was something like this that lead to my first child

Yesterday took the ol' gal out 'round the village, 25 miles mostly quiet back roads, and mostly alone. The flatslides are both lefties, and that makes the right side hard to get right (it's a bit rich), but she goes good. I need to fit new gaiters or dust covers, like oil changes, I'll think about it. The heat shields are nice. She used to melt sneakers. Meantime honeydues... Riding the XS street-track always reminds me of riding a '67 500TT Triumph for the first time. To-day is sportster day, maybe. My orders haven't been posted yet... ;)

meantime>
1686571958999.png

Jim, would that be a permanent fix; or just a get by?
Call it semi-permanent..... Here's my routine for diaphragm repair.
Clean both sides with a good solvent such as acetone or lacquer thinner. Apply a thin layer to both sides of the hole. The thinner the better. That'll usually get you a year or more.

Call it semi-permanent..... Here's my routine for diaphragm repair.
Clean both sides with a good solvent such as acetone or lacquer thinner. Apply a thin layer to both sides of the hole. The thinner the better. That'll usually get you a year or more.
Cheers Jim
I went ahead and bought a pair of these from Yambits.co.uk
SLIDE.PNG

SLIDE 2.PNG

Should be here by the weekend; hopeful I get a ride.
Old ones into the spares pile.

I tried curzinimage, but they wouldn't accept my payment for some reason.
Anyhow Yambits should be faster.
Ads.
ACBUILD

Last edited:
Back