what quailifies as survivor vs resto?

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
If your bike has new tires, sprockets, chain, front brake line maybe a different headlight is it still a survivor or does it move to the resto column?

Those are mostly "consumables." I'd call it a survivor.

WER

giphy.gif

Me

giphy.gif

I just couldn't stand the yellowed chipping clear coat anymore. :whistle:

When I bought my XS2 I really had planned to just clean it up and get it running good, put fresh battery and tires on and just ride it.

For me the tipping point occurred early on, the gas tank. Right outa the box. It had bad rust pitting inside , dents , rust and stains on the outside. Once I made the decision to pop for a paint job, there was no way I was going to NOT paint and polish everything else.
I became a snowball rolling down hill. Growing bigger and bigger as I go!

“ Stop rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell! “ Merle Haggard

Yep, you are so right gggGary.
I tend to shy from rabbit holes and money pits.
I do have new badges for the side covers. But that would lead to a whole frame painting instead of just cleaning and painting the battery acid area. Then new fork ears etc. etc.
It runs, rides. Life is good.

This is the first and last resto I do. I just want to find my way outta here....

Are you getting burned out on your build Jim? I recently read a post in the classified section. The guy was selling his project, said it had become an anchor in his life. :shrug: I could see how a project that carries on too long could become tiresome. I hope you are still enjoying yours.

Yup - that is one of the reasons I bought the SV650. I wanted a bike that would ALWAYS go and yet didn't weigh 730 lbs.

P

I am still enjoying it Bob. What I'm not enjoying is NOT having a runner that I can take a break from the resto with and just go for a ride....

Well I can certainly understand that. Maybe you need to , you know, just drop by the local Triumph dealership and kinda look around. Tell your wife “Look how much fun WE could have with that honey! “
3226F1AC-FAD7-404D-AB0C-0FA95622E4B6.jpeg

Full disclosure; I am going to build up a 71 "survivor" one of these days. The parts will have come from a large number of bikes but everything you can see will be "used, original" pieces, anything hidden or consumable is fair game to be new or aftermarket sourced. LOL I'm about 100% certain that is how most maybe all "running survivors" come to be. Someone just posted up a jay Leno's garage; 3D printing a rotted unobtainable engine top casting.

Full disclosure; I am going to build up a 71 "survivor" one of these days. The parts will have come from a large number of bikes but everything you can see will be "used, original" pieces, anything hidden or consumable is fair game to be new or aftermarket sourced. LOL I'm about 100% certain that is how most maybe all "running survivors" come to be. Someone just posted up a jay Leno's garage; 3D printing a rotted unobtainable engine top casting.

Ooohhh I can’t wait! But tell me , when you say everything you can see will be used original, does that mean you’re not going to use some of those beautiful repainted tins of yours?

Back