What Reg/Rec?

RustiePyles

"Pocket sand! Sh-sh-sha!'
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
What regulator/rectifier is everyone running with stock charging system on TCI bikes? I'll be running an AGM battery. So many choices, I don't want to buy a piece of junk.

@Jim that is tempting, Buuuttttt.... I think I'd like to go with a combo unit even though it takes up more room. The reason is, it's for the chopper and I'm going to run the reg/rec on the inside side of the batt box in full view so having the rectifier exposed separately with the spades sticking out like that pointing the wiring towards the chain doesn't look to hot.

@Jim that is tempting, Buuuttttt.... I think I'd like to go with a combo unit even though it takes up more room. The reason is, it's for the chopper and I'm going to run the reg/rec on the inside side of the batt box in full view so having the rectifier exposed separately with the spades sticking out like that pointing the wiring towards the chain doesn't look to hot.
If you do not care to roll your own, I know people happy with these: Oregon Motorcycle Parts
These are popular as well: Rick's Motorsport Electrics

I can't believe you guys are willing to spend so much money on junk, lol.

I am not saying what is junk and not . the separation of functionality is an advantage
I have had one combo fry the regulator part which happens very quickly if connected wrong or so.
I am also of the impression that the automotive parts are a little more robust have better tolerance for spikes
Which can be a factor.
I have used large rectifier bridges and stock auto regulators Bosch type for a SAAB
I dont know the ratings .
But they lasted long for a fraction of the stock parts. XS 650
The short version Cheaper and Better

Having said that ..Building a Chopper per definition design is important. Cannot have large bolt on parts
Bu if you ask me the separation of part functionality and a little larger ratings on the Gizmos .. than the ones you use in the US
( Not the voltage ) can be an option to consider

First of all, those things are way, way overpriced. You can build your own for less than 1/3 of that. Second, many of these aftermarket combined units are bad right out of the box.

Personally, I don't think the Fiat regulator we use looks bad at all. I wouldn't be ashamed to hang it on the outside and let it show on a custom build's electric box. I think it actually looks kinda neat .....

SQFaw9Y.jpg

Now take a look at the Oregon Motorcycle combined unit Jet linked to. Does the regulator portion look familiar? It should, lol .....

8yKNL3J.jpg

mVy6v8H.jpg

I'm sure you could hide the small Windy Nation rectifier inside the electrical box, as long as it was mounted on a suitable heat sink. Even though we like to mount these on heat sinks, they really don't get very hot in my experience. I think the original mounting position for the stock combined unit right behind the motor probably heats the unit up more than it's actual operation does.

First of all, those things are way, way overpriced. You can build your own for less than 1/3 of that. Second, many of these aftermarket combined units are bad right out of the box.

Personally, I don't think the Fiat regulator we use looks bad at all. I wouldn't be ashamed to hang it on the outside and let it show on a custom build's electric box. I think it actually looks kinda neat .....

SQFaw9Y.jpg

Now take a look at the Oregon Motorcycle combined unit Jet linked to. Does the regulator portion look familiar? It should, lol .....

8yKNL3J.jpg

mVy6v8H.jpg

I'm sure you could hide the small Windy Nation rectifier inside the electrical box, as long as it was mounted on a suitable heat sink. Even though we like to mount these on heat sinks, they really don't get very hot in my experience. I think the original mounting position for the stock combined unit right behind the motor probably heats the unit up more than it's actual operation does.
The rectifier could be mounted on the backside of the plate you put the reg on... out of sight. And I agree with 5t, the regulator would look kinda classy exposed.
And I'd bet that under that fancy Oregon cover sits a windy nation rectifier. :sneaky:
150 bucks for unit that has 30 bucks in parts in it just rubs me wrong.

Last edited:
Ok ok ok, you guys talked me into it. I ordered the Windy Nation rectifier and the fiat regulator. I'm just gonna make a stood off aluminum heat sink plate for the inboard side of my battery box and mount the pair on it. Solenoid, fuse box, ground buss, and gonzo box will be in the "oil tank" with an automotive start/ignition key switch mounted to the frame behind the "oil tank" on the left side. Hi/off/low will be mounted directly to the headlamp bucket. And brake light will be switched earth so no need for a relay.

Last edited:
Ok ok ok, you guys talked me into it. I ordered the Windy Nation rectifier and the fiat regulator. I'm just gonna make a stood off aluminum heat sink plate for the inboard side of my battery box and mount the pair on it. Solenoid, fuse box, ground buss, and gonzo box will be in the "oil tank" with an automotive start/ignition key switch mounted to the frame behind the "oil tank" on the left side. Hi/off/low will be mounted directly to the headlamp bucket. And brake light will be switched earth so no need for a relay.

HOOOORAAY!:woowoo:

If its a pile speak up. I don't really want junk. Whats wrong with it?

Truth be told. The Reg/Rect from Ricks don't have a rep for bad quality. Nothing from what i have seen anyways. You will find it is the PMA SS Reg/Rect that seem to have a lot of failures and that is mostly due to the type, (mainly Shunt), that are poorly coupled with a PMA that is putting out way more wattage than is being used. Since all the PMA's were upped to 200 watts, instead of 135 watts, the SS Reg/Rect were found wanting.

Back